More money OR more happiness?

nickf2005

Established Member
My wife recently took a $20,000 paycut to a less stressed job. Worth it 100 fold. She's happier than she's been in a long time and doesn't dread going to work. Our marriage benefited as well. If you take a crappy job and your relationship could suffer.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I would go for the money.

20-30k will be difficult to buy a home, start a family, save for retirement etc..

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Guarantee of money is the better choice, you can do side jobs to supplement your income

oldmodman

Established Member
"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."—Freewheelin' Franklin

hoamskilet

Established Member
I would go for the money.

20-30k will be difficult to buy a home, start a family, save for retirement etc..

That amount is his guess at the difference in pay, not what he's going to be making at the hourly job

Last edited:

snakedoctor

Established Member
Whatever job you take, get how much they are paying you in writing up front. I made the mistake this year of moving 6 hours away for a job and when I got there found out that the job paid $4/hour less than I was told it would.

TorchMach

Established Member
Hustle hard now man, I am on commission based pay as well, and 25yrs old. I do well and I apply all of it (minus living expenses) to investments. However I am talking to you as if I know what you want. You may want security and a normal average life, or a life filled with financial adventures.

1) You go with the commission based job and if your hungry enough you'll do very well. If your smart with the extra income you will set yourself up for a future many don't enjoy. Maybe be your own boss one day. This road is filled with uncertainty, stress, challenges. On this same road you will feel the gratitude of getting paid for exactly the amount of effort you put in, you will feel happiness when something you put together goes through (like a sale). Then on your off time you can learn to apply the extra income into investments. (property, stocks, save for a restaurant etc...)

Or

2) Work hourly where your work effort won't make a difference in pay. You will get paid EXACTLY the same every pay check. You will have a secure paycheck.

If what you want is security take the hourly job, however know that all successful people got success through hard work and taking risk. Me being on commission pay is the best decision I ever made.

Also, can you PM the ticker for that company with a 1000% growth.

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
You are young, the time to make mistakes is now while you are still young enough to recover. So I wouldnt fear to much about which one will be exactly right. Most likely either job will be a stepping stone in life. But if I were in the position I would look at the benefits you can get out of the company, not just medical, dental and such. Look into continuing education benefits, do they offer help with tuition, books or anything? This may not pay money into your pocket but later down the road it can. Sounds like you have a good work ethic, it always seems that if you stick to the basics of being a good worker it pans out. If the company is new and you go with it, then try to make yourself irreplaceable or a solid asset, become known take risks and try to implement ideas, its never a bad idea to try and work at your bosses level. You will be surprised it can pay off. I moved within 10 minutes of my Company so I could be readily available at anytime to go in, we are a 24 hour operation.I worked over as much as I could, not just for the money but to learn the field. I took spread sheets and old outdated policies and started creating my own and updating the policies and put them on the bosses desk for approval. It all paid off., promotions, etc... Now they usually call me over my boss when we have issues because they know I am right there and will come in and can fix the issues. Just my 2 cents Oh I forgot to mention. People who take less money for work to be happy probably already make a pretty healthy salary. Being poor and happy just happens in Hollywood if you ask me.

Last edited:

jimmy77

Established Member
That's a point I was just considering. I was never told an exact wage, just a general idea. I will find out an exact wage during my next interview. But I will try to negotiate some.

Bingo...it all depends on the wages. If one job pays 140k and the other pays 120k then its a no-brainer....you take the gravy train. If one pays 50k and the other one 80k...then maybe go for the tougher one.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
50-55 hours a week isn't bad. Still can have time for your GF and other hobbies. Just depends on far your drive is too.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
It's hard for me to decide.

Last year I went for money I was working roughly 100-110 hours a WEEK ( oil fields) made a killing money wise, but life sucked while I was working. Sure I had plenty of time off every few weeks, but it was 3 weeks of hell for 1 week where I slept half the time. It royally SUCKED.

BUT

Because I went for the money, and got to where I was. It landed me the job I have now, and made it so I could negotiate a higher salary. Where I "only" work 50-55 hours a week. Because I took the happiness route at this point. I took probably a $60,000 a year pay cut. But having every night and every weekend off is worth it.

I think at your age ( which was my age) I was 26 when I went for the money. I'd say go for it. If it fails you're still young, but it could set up some big things in your future.

50-55 hours a week isn't bad. Still can have time for your GF and other hobbies. Just depends on far your drive is too.

Yup I work 5 10's. 7am-5pm. still get plenty of time for sleep. 50 hours a week is a cakewalk.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Happiness... I find at times when I am down I go buy shit. Well at this point I pretty much own everything I want so cash no longer can supplement those feelings. So I've been donating and trying to help other people which seems to give me the same effect but not sure how long that will last either. It's my own fault. Been a single full time father of 2 for going on 4 years now and it's put me in a emotional slump. So that's why I feel like happiness is more important over cash. However, a guy who is married to a nagging wife will probably have a different opinion, LOL.

Zemedici

Established Member
^^exactly.

They're pitching the commission job high to you, probalby what seasoned vets make. From coming to a situation very similar to yours-I worked at a different dealership with a dickhead boss, wasnt appreciated, long hours, bullshit politics, but I was paid very well. At my current spot, i'm a mile from my house, and I have a great boss, easy hours, laid back, sure I dont make as much money, but money isnt everything. What good is the amplitude of money if you dont have time to enjoy it/spend it?

I would say laid back, and just work on a promotion, tbh I bet the starting pay is relatively close between the 2 companies. One you work to live, and the other you live to work. Which would you want to do?

Dcrypter

Established Member
I had a similar choice last year. The difference was only about $10k though. I ended up choosing happiness and laid back over higher stress with a little more money

Branhammer

Established Member
Those commission estimates they give you are always best case scenarios. When I sold cars, I was always told I could make $80k-$120k a year. Yeah right. At a dealership with 20 salespeople, 2-3 make in that range. Everyone else is in a revolving door.

I would say happiness is much more important. I had a choice back in April to take either a GS-9 position with the ANG as a maintenance analyst, where I get every holiday off (even Columbus day), a 4-10 work week, a guaranteed 40-hour week (except on drill weekends, which I have to do no matter what full-time job I take), an hour lunch, an hour to go work out in the gym on base for free, my own office with 2 subordinates, and some seniority since I've been a traditional guardsman here for 2 years and in the military for 6...

OR

A job working for NOAA working on ASOS as a GS-10, with potential to go up to GS-11, but with mandatory OT, 5-day work week, and a lot of outdoor work in the elements, which I've really had enough of working on flight lines. And I would've been a true noob there.

The difference was between $5k-$12k, depending on grade/step level. I took the analyst job and I don't feel like I'm at work most of the time. Hell....I'm talking on a FORUM right now. Finished most of my work for the month over a week ago.

Last edited:

alex3610

Established Member
I went for a job that I thought would make me happy at a lower salary. 6 years later, salary has been frozen for 5 of last 6 years and counting. How goddamn happy do you think I am now? Recently married, want to have kids, etc. , really regretting not going after $$$ and forgetting everything else. At the very least grind out for 5 years while young and get a nice savings built up. Now I have just taken on a part time commission based sales job on top of my 56 hour a week dead end job. Hopefully this will pan out. Remember: $$$. You don't realize how important it is until you don't have enough to live the way you want.

bamabox

Established Member
All I can say is that the word "potential" in a commission only position is a dangerous word.

If you go for another interview with the commission only company, ask to see the incomes for 2013 of the commission people. No names, just numbers. If they balk, or say stuff like sky's the limit, it's all up to you, then you can rest assured the figures they gave you are bull. Maybe what the top person earned who has been at it a long time and has a customer base.

I personally worked 31 years for a company that sounds like #2, had a good stock program, pension (those days are over), am retired and enjoying the best time of my life. There's nothing wrong with working hard and making a lot of money, but stress is a killer. And by the way how many rich, happy people do you know? I think I know 1.

smitty2919

Established Member
I tend to lean toward a KNOWN income. Meaning picking the hourly job+overtime and not having to worry about commission. This alleviates the stress that can come from feeling like you HAVE to make commission to pay rent/bills. You know that every other week you will have a known amount put into your bank account.

Does either jobs income allow you to live the life you desire? Meaning do you NEED the commission job that may pay double (after commission is factored in)? I also agree with asking to see commission values. Ask to see the LOWEST, AVERAGE and HIGHEST values then look at it as if the commission job will give you the LOWEST number they show you. I like to plan for worst case scenario.

Also evaluate the people you will work with...you can make all the money but if the people you see 8 hrs a day (or more) piss you off or if you don't mesh well with them then it makes for a LONG day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread