More money OR more happiness?

gt347mustang

Established Member
You're young, dont focus too much on the money. What job looks better on a future resume? Which job will better prepare you with skills you can use down the road in your career?

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
The company that offers stock maybe the ticket if you believe there is potential there. Rolling over that unused/extra leave time into stock options, if the company is viable, could provide a decent bonus in the future.

Personally I'd probably chose the the commission job, budget as if I worked the hourly wage job and funnel excess funds into investments. At any rate 50-55 hours a week isn't a slave drive by any stretch of the imagination especially for someone who isn't settled down with a wife or children. The thrill of the hunt with commission jobs would be right up my alley and I work at least those 50/55 hours a week now. Someone making 100k on a commission job is more appealing than someone making 65k and 35k in overtime a year.

Just my opinion.

dom418

Established Member
If the hourly job is enough for you to live comfortably I would take that. What's the point of the extra money if you're too tired, stressed, or burned out to enjoy your time away from work. Comission work would drive me crazy, but that's just me

This. 20k extra a year for what?! Stress impacts all other areas of your life, if you are stressed you could give a crap about that extra money. Sleep, sex, hobbies and most importantly your health. You want to be a slave to the dollar then go for the high stress job, get burned out, and have your relationship with your girl affected. If you can live on the less stressful job do that. You will thank me later.

Machdup1

Established Member
It depends what drives you and your personality. Where do you rate on a dessa assessment.

roadracer247

Established Member
All I can say is that the word "potential" in a commission only position is a dangerous word.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
The company that offers stock maybe the ticket if you believe there is potential there. Rolling over that unused/extra leave time into stock options, if the company is viable, could provide a decent bonus in the future.

Personally I'd probably chose the the commission job, budget as if I worked the hourly wage job and funnel excess funds into investments. At any rate 50-55 hours a week isn't a slave drive by any stretch of the imagination especially for someone who isn't settled down with a wife or children. The thrill of the hunt with commission jobs would be right up my alley and I work at least those 50/55 hours a week now. Someone making 100k on a commission job is more appealing than someone making 65k and 35k in overtime a year.

Just my opinion.

The company with stock options is definitely going somewhere, a quick search google search shows their stock jump up 1000% in 3 years and they are making amazing strides in the industry.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
All I can say is that the word "potential" in a commission only position is a dangerous word.

Depending on overtime and extra leave as if it were base salary is also dangerous.

In the end it's all about balance, drive and time. Neither money nor happiness comes quickly or cheap.

At the end of the day when upper management has to cut costs, the people milking the company for excessive time and a half will be some of the first ones looked at. Why can someone who is doing very well on commission? At least you can justify their compensation with quantifiable data. John sold xxxxx amount of widgets for us and got 2% of pre gross income. Steve on the other hand was paid 40% more than his peers to increase productivity by 10% within his duties which only accounts for 5% of the company's overall sales.

That's the argument that always gets made. Fair or not.

Last edited:

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Maybe an important point I forgot to make. The hourly company is the company I would really rather work for. Its just the lower wage that drives me away

Maybe you can negotiate a happier wage with this company.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
You gotta draw a line somewhere and determine what you want. Id personally take the job where I was happier working as long as the bills could be paid and I had monry left over every week.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I will add, other than the added stress and hours, the other disadvantage to commission jobs is the decreased rate of promotion.

04svtterm

Established Member
take the money. If you are good at sales, hustle and make as much as you can. Pay off debts, save some and set yourself up for the future to do something you like. As much as we all like to believe what disney books may tell us..."do what you enjoy..blah blah blah". Real world....you just have to make money where you can. Take opportunities as they come, work smart..work hard. and MAYBE one day you can do something you truly enjoy and have minimal stress. It's just how it works.

If you can't handle the stress/hard work. Simplify your life...

Dont' let people feed you the bullshit.....the ones that succeed are the ones who refuse to give up. Regardless of how shitty their boss is or how long they have to work. Keep that hustle mentality and you may find yourself in the "boss" position one day.

Sorry for the rant. Actually had a similar conversation with an employee today. Guess who's getting demoted next week with a salary to match? lol

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
take the money. If you are good at sales, hustle and make as much as you can. Pay off debts, save some and set yourself up for the future to do something you like. As much as we all like to believe what disney books may tell us..."do what you enjoy..blah blah blah". Real world....you just have to make money where you can. Take opportunities as they come, work smart..work hard. and MAYBE one day you can do something you truly enjoy and have minimal stress. It's just how it works.

Dont' let people feed you the bullshit.....the ones that succeed are the ones who refuse to give up. Regardless of how shitty their boss is or how long they have to work. Keep that hustle mentality and you may find yourself in the "boss" position one day.

Sorry for the rant. Actually had a similar conversation with an employee today. Guess who's getting demoted next week with a salary to match? lol

+1

That's the other part of my comment as well. Good post.

SHOdown220

Established Member

Thanks for the post, you made a lot of good points there.

Also thank you to everyone else who has posted in this thread you have given me a lot to think about!

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
The company with stock options is definitely going somewhere, a quick search google search shows their stock jump up 1000% in 3 years and they are making amazing strides in the industry.

Can you PM me the ticker? That is the job I would take. Getting in at a good company fairly early in life can pay off majorly down the road. I know a couple senior VP's who started out at the bottom with only high school diplomas.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Can you PM me the ticker? That is the job I would take. Getting in at a good company fairly early in life can pay off majorly down the road. I know a couple senior VP's who started out at the bottom with only high school diplomas.

This is more or less what happened with my dad. He started out working at Sears which expanded to form Discover Card which he ended up jumping to the DC ship. They gave him stock options which he took advantage of and now their stocks are killing it.

Stock options (with a succeeding company) would weigh heavily on my decision

IGO 202

Established Member
Life's too short to be stressed and miserable, time is a precious commodity.

Like the old saying goes "not many men on their deathbed wished they would have worked more overtime".

Good luck with your decision.........only you know the answer, trust your instinct.

Dan

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
This is more or less what happened with my dad. He started out working at Sears which expanded to form Discover Card which he ended up jumping to the DC ship. They gave him stock options which he took advantage of and now their stocks are killing it.

Stock options (with a succeeding company) would weigh heavily on my decision

It happens all the time. And occasionally you get really lucky, think Treynor.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
50-55 hour weeks? I can only dream. Today I was at work from 5:45am to 7:50pm lol.

Id take the money at this stage in your life. Im about the same age. You need to start putting away money hardcore for retirement if you havent started already. If you dont, it will hurt you later in life. Work hard now, so you can relax in style during retirement.

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
When you say 20-30k difference...

Is that 40 versus 60 or 70?
Or 100 versus 120 or 130?

Huge difference.

Do you enjoy the work you'll be doing?
What is the girlfriend's schedule compared to yours?

Users who are viewing this thread