More money OR more happiness?

SHOdown220

Established Member
Which would you choose? Ok backstory for everyone:

Today I had two job interviews, both doing essentially the same thing, in the same city. I will note that I have not been offered employment by either company as of right now, but I have been moved into the second stage of interviewing and I feel I stand a good chance at both positions. So lets assume I have been offered a job at both companies. Here is the big difference, one company pays in commission only, and the other in hourly pay. The commission only job is going to be fast paced, probably very stressful, and long hours. But the estimated pay should be pretty well (over double what I currently make). The other company seems to be very laid back, regular hours, low stress, but somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-30,000 a year less. This is assuming the commission at the other job is as good as I was told. The hourly company is paying a fare wage, but I will be relocating to a more expensive city. The money should be enough to pay my bills comfortably, with little extra money for my toys. The commission job should be enough for bills, toys, and extra in the bank.

So the question is, if offered both jobs, would you take less money to enjoy going to work more?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
We know that the one job starts off at 20-30k less a year but what about long term? Do you have the potential to get promoted in both companies? Will the commission job require you to work long hours? If you are single now do you plan on getting married eventually, having children? Sorry if im asking for to much information but these are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself. I would not be to concerned with the starting pay if there are opportunities to advance. My advice would be to take the job that has the best opportunities to advance, its not where you start but where you finish!!

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'm 26, serious girlfriend but no family or kids. Girl just went back to school for nursing, so I'm going to bring the money home while she focuses on school. We will have a small amount of income from her (she still works part time), but I would rather her use her money to start paying back school loans.

SHOdown220

Established Member
We know that the one job starts off at 20-30k less a year but what about long term? Do you have the potential to get promoted in both companies? Will the commission job require you to work long hours? If you are single now do you plan on getting married eventually, having children? Sorry if im asking for to much information but these are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself. I would not be to concerned with the starting pay if there are opportunities to advance. My advice would be to take the job that has the best opportunities to advance, its not where you start but where you finish!!

Thanks for the response, to answer some questions: The commission job will require somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-55 hours a week. Maybe more. The hourly is scheduled for 40, but overtime as needed. As far as promotions, commission job probably not, at least not for awhile. Hourly job, I have no idea. Hourly job is a fairly new company so who knows, maybe if I get in kind of early, I could possibly promote down the line. I do plan on getting married in the next few years, with children following a few years after that. I try not to focus too much on starting pay but I will be relocating and I could use the money to help with that, as well as paying off some debt

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
You're young so I say make as much as you can while you can and make plans to take it easy when you are older...

Kewlv8

Established Member
Which Job feels the best (best atmosphere, best boss, etc.?). Pick that one. Don't make the decision based on $$. If you are a self starter, you may loathe the safe job. I know that I would.

hoamskilet

Established Member
If the hourly job is enough for you to live comfortably I would take that. What's the point of the extra money if you're too tired, stressed, or burned out to enjoy your time away from work. Comission work would drive me crazy, but that's just me

VA-Mach1

Established Member
I'm 26, serious girlfriend but no family or kids. Girl just went back to school for nursing, so I'm going to bring the money home while she focuses on school. We will have a small amount of income from her (she still works part time), but I would rather her use her money to start paying back school loans.

With that being the case. If you are confident in yourself then go for the money. Don't burn any bridges with the other company so you can use it as a fallback if need be.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Any benefits offered with either job?

Both companies offer good benefits, about the same with the hourly job offering a little more time off, plus giving me stock in the company

Which Job feels the best (best atmosphere, best boss, etc.?). Pick that one. Don't make the decision based on $$. If you are a self starter, you may loathe the safe job. I know that I would.

To be honest with you, I have only been on location with the commission job. The hourly job is all done through corporate, with the final interview happening at the actual site. The lady I interviewed with through corporate seemed really nice and the company seems like an awesome company to work for. I loved the commission job atmosphere, boss seemed really cool and they have a nice set up there.

If the hourly job is enough for you to live comfortably I would take that. What's the point of the extra money if you're too tired, stressed, or burned out to enjoy your time away from work. Comission work would drive me crazy, but that's just me

The hourly job would be ok, but not exactly comfortable, at least not as comfortable as I would like. it would pay the bills but I would still be budgeting pretty hard.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Can we keep this serious please. We don't need "Pics of girlfriend" comments or any of that other bull crap. Got it?

SHOdown220

Established Member
Maybe an important point I forgot to make. The hourly company is the company I would really rather work for. Its just the lower wage that drives me away

Users who are viewing this thread