More money OR more happiness?

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
how many Broke poor happy people do you know? money is what makes the world go round. money makes you happy. having the bills paid, not avoiding the collection calls. being able to walk into the garage and just look at the toys brings a smile... coming home to a happy wife that knows she has a real man that works hard to pay the bills and make their life better... thats life... being broke and having no toys.. what is there to enjoy when you dont have anything??

Last edited:

04svtterm

Established Member
[youtube_browser]JfIKzReNDF4[/youtube_browser]

DDUUUUUDDDEEEE!!!!!! only if you knew! this movie is the reason why i'm a fan of Ben Affleck. I love this movie..and love this scene. Watch this scene before every weekly meeting/presentation...meeting new clients. LOVE IT!!!!!

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
DDUUUUUDDDEEEE!!!!!! only if you knew! this movie is the reason why i'm a fan of Ben Affleck. I love this movie..and love this scene. Watch this scene before every weekly meeting/presentation...meeting new clients. LOVE IT!!!!!

one of the best pump you up sales movies of all time. when car sales are down just gotta watch this at night and its a new day!!

ViciousJay

Established Member
This. 20k extra a year for what?! Stress impacts all other areas of your life, if you are stressed you could give a crap about that extra money. Sleep, sex, hobbies and most importantly your health. You want to be a slave to the dollar then go for the high stress job, get burned out, and have your relationship with your girl affected. If you can live on the less stressful job do that. You will thank me later.

This happiness and health is more important, in this world your another number

04svtterm

Established Member
Life's too short to be stressed and miserable, time is a precious commodity.

Like the old saying goes "not many men on their deathbed wished they would have worked more overtime".

Good luck with your decision.........only you know the answer, trust your instinct.

Dan

Happiness... I find at times when I am down I go buy shit. Well at this point I pretty much own everything I want so cash no longer can supplement those feelings. So I've been donating and trying to help other people which seems to give me the same effect but not sure how long that will last either. It's my own fault. Been a single full time father of 2 for going on 4 years now and it's put me in a emotional slump. So that's why I feel like happiness is more important over cash. However, a guy who is married to a nagging wife will probably have a different opinion, LOL.

easy question. less money. quality of life means far more to me than money or possessions.

All these guys have a very valid points. You also have to remember....MONEY...isn't a solution. It's an enhancer. it enhances your life...quality of life...experiences. You guys have to remember, the OP is 26. Now is the time for him to HUSTLE....HUSTLE HARD! chase the opportunities he has and punch life dead in it's face. this way when he is in his 40s, he doesn't have regrets or have to work like a dog like the majority of the world. Have to know when to work hard and when to work smart. Money is one of the top reasons for people getting divorces. Money isn't "evil"...it's the idiots who don't know how to manage it that give it that reputation. You can be successful, be a family man, a good friend and a good human being. Just have to learn to balance it all.

As for stress...yes it's part of it. Something that comes with it, unless you have money handed to you lol. that's why you have so little business owners compared to the flooded market of employees. Not all are made out to be 'boss". We all love to think we have what it takes, but it's just not true. if it was, then everyone would be a boss. I dont know about you guys, i'd rather be stressed with money in my account than be stressed about living pay check to pay check and worried how i will pay rent and fix the car in the same month. What a sad way of life. With money, you can afford to take breaks, travel, buy toys, donate...whatever makes you happy. it'll only be temporary because well happiness doesn't have a dollar amount, but at least it's one less stress in your life. Gives you energy to focus on things that do matter and make life worth living...family.

Be responsible, be smart, and above all...understand money comes and goes. Set yourself up so when times are hard, so you still have options.

You only get a few opportunities in life to make some decent money......you have the rest of your life to be broke.

Last edited:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
Those commission estimates they give you are always best case scenarios. When I sold cars, I was always told I could make $80k-$120k a year. Yeah right. At a dealership with 20 salespeople, 2-3 make in that range. Everyone else is in a revolving door.
this is very true. and how you become one of those guys is work your ass off. its not anyone elses fault you dont make more selling cars but ur own. some people have what it takes to make that.. some dont.. which one are you? me? I am a salesmen at heart. I am good at my job. Ive seen better salesmen then me and try to learn from them. its 75% attitude or more to win at sales. I will be the first one to tell you that I am not a smart guy. I have no degree from college and went through HS as average. but get someone on the phone or infront of me and I can promise you I will smoke Mr smart guy to the sale. I make ok money.. but I want more and more everyday..

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
All these guys have a very valid points. You also have to remember....MONEY...isn't a solution. It's an enhancer. it enhances your life...quality of life...experiences. You guys have to remember, the OP is 26. Now is the time for him to HUSTLE....HUSTLE HARD! chase the opportunities he has and punch life dead in it's face. this way when he is in his 40s, he doesn't have regrets or have to work like a dog like the majority of the world. Have to know when to work hard and when to work smart. Money is one of the top reasons for people getting divorces. Money isn't "evil"...it's the idiots who don't know how to manage it that give it that reputation. You can be successful, be a family man, a good friend and a good human being. Just have to learn to balance it all.

As for stress...yes it's part of it. Something that comes with it, unless you have money handed to you lol. that's why you have so little business owners compared to the flooded market of employees. Not all are made out to be 'boss". We all love to think we have what it takes, but it's just not true. if it was, then everyone would be a boss. I dont know about you guys, i'd rather be stressed with money in my account than be stressed about living pay check to pay check and worried how i will pay rent and fix the car in the same month. What a sad way of life. With money, you can afford to take breaks, travel, buy toys, donate...whatever makes you happy. it'll only be temporary because well happiness doesn't have a dollar amount, but at least it's one less stress in your life. Gives you energy to focus on things that do matter and make life worth living...family.

Be responsible, be smart, and above all...understand money comes and goes. Set yourself up so when times are hard, so you still have options.

You only get a few opportunities in life to make some decent money......you have the rest of your life to be broke.

money didnt enhance my life at all. i married a very rich woman, had nearly a half mil in the bank. this was 12 years ago. we lived large, traveled, had anything we wanted.

as compared to my life now....i would not go pack to that life for anything. today, i have a comfortable salary and a wonderful life. 100x more happy now that i do the things in life that bring joy to me. simple things. little things. man...i was such an idiot back then.

04svtterm

Established Member
money didnt enhance my life at all. i married a very rich woman, had nearly a half mil in the bank. this was 12 years ago. we lived large, traveled, had anything we wanted.

as compared to my life now....i would not go pack to that life for anything. today, i have a comfortable salary and a wonderful life. 100x more happy now that i do the things in life that bring joy to me. simple things. little things. man...i was such an idiot back then.

were you unhappy because of money? or were there other factors? I'm glad you are happy now.

I've met plenty of successful people with smiles ear to ear.Very content, fulfilled and give with open arms. Not saying all people are like that, but usually those "unhappy" people have a character flaw and it's easy to blame something else. I find it hard to believe a happy person gets rich and all the sudden he's unhappy. You can still do things that bring joy, simple things, little things. Some people just aren't responsible with money. Don't have to live extravagant. You can live a simple life. That's the beauty of it...with money you always have options.

Edit- just want to make sure you understand, i'm not picking on you or your example. "flawed character" comment was based more off of some friends i've seen completely ruin their life.

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
were you unhappy because of money? or were there other factors? I'm glad you are happy now.

I've met plenty of successful people with smiles ear to ear.Very content, fulfilled and give with open arms. Not saying all people are like that, but usually those "unhappy" people have a character flaw and it's easy to blame something else. I find it hard to believe a happy person gets rich and all the sudden he's unhappy. You can still do things that bring joy, simple things, little things. Some people just aren't responsible with money. Don't have to live extravagant. You can live a simple life. That's the beauty of it...with money you always have options.

what i am saying is, the money had no bearing on my happiness or unhappiness. i divorced that woman 10 years ago. what makes me happy, surely wont be for everyone. when i was young and stupid, i measured success by how much money i could make, how big my bank was. how much i could spend, the cars in my garage and how many houses i owned. i let money define the man.

today, i measure success by a different set of characteristics. doesnt mean i am right or wrong, its just what makes me happy. i am older now, and like doing the little things that bring joy to me. things i wanted to do when i was younger but wouldnt take the time.

Last edited:

04svtterm

Established Member
what i am saying is, the money had no bearing on my happiness or unhappiness. i divorced that woman 10 years ago. what makes me happy, surely wont be for everyone. when i was young and stupid, i measured success by how much money i could make, how big my bank was. how much i could spend, the cars in my garage and how many houses i owned. i let money define the man.

today, i measure success by a different set of characteristics. doesnt mean i am right or wrong, its just what makes me happy. i am older now, and like doing the little things that bring joy to me. things i wanted to do when i was younger but wouldnt take the time.

okay, that makes sense. It was more the person you became after marrying into it. Yea, i see that happen more than it should. I agree, "success" is a very vague. My way of using it in this thread is solely financial as it's what's relevant to the topic. I'm sure if you struck it large again.... now that you are older, you would handle things differently. There are people who keep a good balance. Seems like you got a bit carried away. haha.

If the person is happy with his life...money enhances it. That's all i'm trying to say. You can have both, it seems like people think it's one or the other. No, you can be financially free and still be genuinely happy. that's the point i'm trying to make. It's not choosing on or the other.

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
okay, that makes sense. It was more the person you became after marrying into it. Yea, i see that happen more than it should. I agree, "success" is a very vague. My way of using it in this thread is solely financial as it's what's relevant to the topic. I'm sure if you struck it large again.... now that you are older, you would handle things differently. There are people who keep a good balance. Seems like you got a bit carried away. haha.

If the person is happy with his life...money enhances it. That's all i'm trying to say. You can have both, it seems like people think it's one or the other. No, you can be financially free and still be genuinely happy. that's the point i'm trying to make. It's not choosing on or the other.

well, i have a chance to make more than i do now. I receive quarterly royalties off of music sales, and media downloads. I am a signed recording artist with a christian label. I donate the profits from that to my church, and a few other organizations, rather put it in my bank. I enjoy being a musician on the side, i love doing it. the reason i do it brings even more joy. I couldnt imagine taking money for it. it would ruin it for me.

Jbstang87

Established Member
I think it depends highly on where you live whether money will bring you more happiness. I think in more religious and conservative communities value things other than money like your relationship with God, family. In fast paced big cities, being rich is seen as the end game for all people, and something to aspire to.

04svtterm

Established Member
well, i have a chance to make more than i do now. I receive quarterly royalties off of music sales, and media downloads. I am a signed recording artist with a christian label. I donate the profits from that to my church, and a few other organizations, rather put it in my bank. I enjoy being a musician on the side, i love doing it. the reason i do it brings even more joy. I couldnt imagine taking money for it. it would ruin it for me.

that's good to hear. Seems like you have a kind heart and have learned a thing or 2 over the years. Happy for you.

Me, i wake up with 2 things every morning, morning wood and a smile. have a beautiful loving wife and a healthy new baby boy....what else could i ask for? Then on top, i get to wake up and do something challenging daily. I get the opportunity to give back. Provide for my family, take care of my parents, who worked 5 jobs between themeselvs, so they can provide for me and my brothers. In the end of the day...that is what makes me happy. Everything else is just "enhancers". Without them i'd still be happy.

Last edited:

Branhammer

Established Member
this is very true. and how you become one of those guys is work your ass off. its not anyone elses fault you dont make more selling cars but ur own. some people have what it takes to make that.. some dont.. which one are you? me? I am a salesmen at heart. I am good at my job. Ive seen better salesmen then me and try to learn from them. its 75% attitude or more to win at sales. I will be the first one to tell you that I am not a smart guy. I have no degree from college and went through HS as average. but get someone on the phone or infront of me and I can promise you I will smoke Mr smart guy to the sale. I make ok money.. but I want more and more everyday..

Well, I worked hard, was there all the time, sat in on the best salespeoples' deals so I could learn, and sold double digit cars every month. Every customer said that I was the best salesman they'd ever worked with and I had perfect surveys from over 90% of my customers (the rest just didn't do the surveys.) The problem was, I made no PROFIT on all those vehicles. Even with add-on bonuses and sales quantity bonuses, my earnings only added up to slightly above minimum wage for the hours I worked and I was NEVER home to see my wife. It just wasn't worth it to me. I make more in my current job than all the salesmen at that dealership except for the top two. But I work 40 hours a week with every holiday and one million times better benefits, while those guys live at work and never see their families.

Not bashing the car sales world. If you can do it and you're good at it then that's awesome. Unfortunately for me I was good at everything but making a profit.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
commission only, **** that ! That is a big gamble, especially if the company slows down in profits.

I would take the hourly job. Chances are you will get some good raises.

Users who are viewing this thread