MMR identifies a new problem with E-85/racefuel softening the secondary chain guides

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
So you're saying you would prefer "Hi guys, we made a new part. Don't worry, your original has no chance of breaking so don't be scared. We just made this part just because. Please buy." When they or anyone comes in telling everyone to hurry and tear down their engine before it self destructs, you might have a valid point. Otherwise, come on dude

Stop, dude....No, what might work better (for me as a consumer) is not coming in saying the same parts that are on the F-150s running e85 and I've not seen any issues reported, are now turning to mush so buy our new part. But instead, say: "Hey, we've got an upgraded part that is not made out of plastic, is stronger and will hold up better under <enter load, or whatever>.

I'm not saying that MMR is a hack company....I've just seen enough of there post that, like it or not, come across as a scare tactic in sales. I'm not a fan....

You should also pay attention to other posts in those threads as well. Not long ago a lower billet gear became available by MMR. Same posts just like yours coming up. Because people had never heard of it, that meant it didn't exist. Until vendors slowly started saying that had also broken them. One vendor claiming to break 3 of them on his engine alone. So what I'm getting at is guys who do it EVERY day, might have a bit more insight on the matter. And it might go over a bit better to ask questions instead of assuming your average coyote owners experience of 1 car, is probably not the end all of what you need to know.

You're making a lot of assumptions here.

But I'm game....has anyone answered the question that was posted about the F-150s and their track record of failure running Flex Fuel? If I missed it I apologize. But if the parts are the same (as someone else posted)....failures?

Better yet if you don't believe it, just don't buy it lol

I didn't say that the part was crap and no one should buy it. My point is that MMR has a history, in my eyes, of posting scare tactic sales when new parts come out. Obviously since others have mentioned that they've noticed it as well....I'm clearly not the only one to feel this way.
Again, back to the example of the F-150s....same part....what failures are they having running flex fuel?

At face value it seems like a nice part to upgrade if you're in there and building a motor. But considering there are a LOT of folks out there running e85 and there does not seem to be a mass failure rate (correct me if I'm wrong), the sales pitch seems a bit over the top IMO.

Anyways....my thoughts. I'm not going to sit on here and debate it any further.
Take care.

Last edited:

wolfman311

Established Member
Wow, i actually gave some good constructive feedback to MMR and my post got deleted. Pretty sad of any admin to delete that post. SMH. So with that being said credibility has been lost from me with this site given how many other useful posts have been removed. I will be sharing my experience with others.

Voltwings

Established Member
To be fair, as important and crucial as many of the parts MMR makes may be, i will admit that damn near all of their threads include the phrase "AVOID CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE." The engine may fail, and it may very well be catastrophic due to said part, but i imagine that is where people get the impression of "scare tactics." Apparently there are a lot of parts in my motor waiting to go ...

CPRsm

Stop, dude....No, what might work better (for me as a consumer) is not coming in saying the same parts that are on the F-150s running e85 and I've not seen any issues reported, are now turning to mush so buy our new part. But instead, say: "Hey, we've got an upgraded part that is not made out of plastic, is stronger and will hold up better under <enter load, or whatever>.
Because F150 has as many enthusiasts as the mustang lol. They do cam changes, spring upgrades and spin the piss out of their truck regularly. They also have the engines out of the truck once a year or once every two years. In 10 years you might be able to see some useable data from F150's, if any of them actually run E85 all the time like the hard core guys here. It's apples to oranges in terms of fuel and actual abuse. If F150 owners wanted to know about abuse and durability, they will look to the mustang crowd, not vise versa.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Wow, i actually gave some good constructive feedback to MMR and my post got deleted. Pretty sad of any admin to delete that post. SMH. So with that being said credibility has been lost from me with this site given how many other useful posts have been removed. I will be sharing my experience with others.

Your thread was in regards to updating our website and nothing to do with the topic at hand, regardless, your feedback has been noted and appreciated, it was simply out of place in this thread and clearly the moderators also felt the same - no big deal - life goes on and AGAIN, we appreciate it.

4VFTW

Established Member
To be fair, as important and crucial as many of the parts MMR makes may be, i will admit that damn near all of their threads include the phrase "AVOID CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE." The engine may fail, and it may very well be catastrophic due to said part, but i imagine that is where people get the impression of "scare tactics." Apparently there are a lot of parts in my motor waiting to go ...

Bro they are in the business of selling parts and alot of the parts they sell are designed to be severe duty replacement parts for potentially weak OEM parts... How would you market these products? "AVOID A MILDLY UNDESIRABLE UNSCHEDULED ENGINE SERVICE"

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Funny that you mention this, a few weeks ago a customer called with a failed lower stock gear, it ruined his entire engine, he asked us why we didnt tell him that he needed it when he purchased other parts. So I guess you can say that now that we are aware of the problem we are liable for telling our customers what the consequences are. It would be like selling a drug and not explaining what it might do to you. As we said before - dont shoot the messenger guys!

hotford

Established Member
you never answered the flex fuel question.........most F series trucks are flex fuel....will they see this condition........I believe FORD would have done extensive testing as someone else stated.......

I believe the hard core guys would use this, or even when freshing up a motor....good to know there are options......

4VFTW

Established Member
you never answered the flex fuel question.........most F series trucks are flex fuel....will they see this condition.
they may very well not because those engines arent pushed nearly as hard. the issue may be a combination of fuel contamination as well as the added strain put on the tensioner by a more aggressive camshaft profile and higher RPM operation. there may be many variables...MMR has seen an issue and has produced a solution. How much additional forensic testing should they do? they found a damaged plastic tensioner in an engine and a simple permanent fix was to make a billet replacement.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The truck engine has many different specs from the car engine, one of the applicable differences would be the rings gaps - the truck calling out for tighter gaps, meaning less oil pollution. Being that the rings are the one and only line of defense to keep the oil contamination to its lowest we would consider this the main reason. Other factors such as compression ratio are also a factor (lower compression ratio or in the bigger picture lower cylinder pressure have less blow by/oil contamination than higher compression).

Interesting the FORD owners manual states it should not be used continuously or at very least with increased service intervals

"If you operate your vehicle 50% or more of the time on ethanol, you should follow a different maintenance schedule. In addition to this it is also recommended to fill the fuel tank with regular unleaded gasoline once every 3,000 miles (4,828 km). See scheduled maintenance information for more information."

Beernuts

Established Member
you never answered the flex fuel question.........most F series trucks are flex fuel....will they see this condition........I believe FORD would have done extensive testing as someone else stated.......

they may very well not because those engines arent pushed nearly as hard. the issue may be a combination of fuel contamination as well as the added strain put on the tensioner by a more aggressive camshaft profile and higher RPM operation. there may be many variables...MMR has seen an issue and has produced a solution. How much additional forensic testing should they do? they found a damaged plastic tensioner in an engine and a simple permanent fix was to make a billet replacement.

Amen. The F-150 5.0 has a lower compression ratio, lower redline, different cams, and different tune... How many F-150 owners do you think are putting aftermarket tunes, cams, etc on their truck and running the RPM's up to ~7500 like folks here do? Not many I'd guess, and this thread is not directed at them. If you have no need for the part, don't buy it!

Last edited:

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Amen. The F-150 5.0 has a lower compression ratio, lower redline, different cams, and different tune... How many F-150 owners do you think are putting aftermarket tunes, cams, etc on their truck and running the RPM's up to ~7500 like folks here do? Not many I'd guess, and this thread is not directed at them. If you have no need for the part, don't buy it!

Lol! Trust us, we won't.
We have every right to ask questions about a product.
The problem for me is the way it is being marketed. Scare tactics.
The original post says nothing along the line of this MAY happen or WE SAW this happen in this specific application. But rather if you run e85 and have aftermarket cams this WILL fail and you WILL have catastrophic engine failure.
To each their own though, I'm sure many people will buy em just cause and add them to their #8 cyl cooling mod. :)
It comes back to maintenance, if you don't maintain your motor you will have many many issues including this.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we just replaced the tensioners because the guides were wore down on the 2011 as well.

can't say for sure it's e85, but I'm all about parts that won't need to be replaced again.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It comes back to maintenance, if you don't maintain your motor you will have many many issues including this.

We agree, and we are all guilty of it. Some people may purchase it as a precaution, others may not. We are okay with this, but at least now we can say that we have brought the problem to peoples attention. In regards to scare tactics - there are not many ways of telling someone that a part may cause catastrophic failure, unfortunately there is no way to sugar coat it and the bottom line is it CAN and WILL! . Do you need to rush out and tear your engine down?, of course not, but if you have your engine apart, are building a new engine or have aftermarket cams and springs this is a $99 insurance policy that is well worth it.

Beernuts

Established Member
Lol! Trust us, we won't.
We have every right to ask questions about a product.
The problem for me is the way it is being marketed. Scare tactics.
The original post says nothing along the line of this MAY happen or WE SAW this happen in this specific application. But rather if you run e85 and have aftermarket cams this WILL fail and you WILL have catastrophic engine failure.
To each their own though, I'm sure many people will buy em just cause and add them to their #8 cyl cooling mod. :)

:rollseyes Quit being dramatic, nowhere in the post does it say it WILL fail or WILL happen. Where does it say that? It shows a PHOTO of a worn chain guide and an explanation as to what they believed caused it (E-85 and aftermarket cams.) What else do you want? A daily log of every run the engine made? For a freaking $100 part?

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
well I can see the possibility.

so, I will buy the flex fuel truck secondary tensioner pads and replace them when I change exhaust cams. too bad they changed the design from earlier modular 4v.

thanks MMR.

CPRsm

That's it. Next time my doctor tells me to cut down on red meat, I'm going to smack him in the mouth if he uses scare tactics and tells me it could lead to heart disease. Speaking of which, anyone know where the surgeon General lives? He and I need to have some words lmao

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread