MMR identifies a new problem with E-85/racefuel softening the secondary chain guides

soSincerious

Established Member
I'm going to venture a guess that forced inducted engines will suffer these effects at a much quicker rate vs naturally aspirated.

wondering if oil change interval plays into that? I personally feel just wrong about going higher than 5,000 miles on my car ... I haven't done any analysis on my oil or anything ... but would an oil test show the harmful deposits E85 is leaving behind?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
While I know these plastic guides have a tendency to wear (basically all modular do it to some degree) I don't believe it can be blamed on E-85 for softening the material. Especially in the minuscule volumes that would be present in the crank case. I'd have to see some controlled tests on the material to support that claim. Still, it's nice to have an upgrade.

devildog1679

Established Member
I could be mistaken but if the F150 Flex 5.0 uses the same guides then I would guess we Mustang 5.0 guys are OK to use E85 as I'm sure Ford did extended testing.

stangn

Established Member
E85 has many know issues. If you've ever seen an engine apart that had poor oil change intervals you'd see it looks like it's been in the bottom of the ocean for years.
The corrision is evident even if large shots of meth are used.

It's a great fuel for making power but comes with a cost. Maintance increases. I'm sure no one on here has had trouble DD for years on E85 but it is a fact.

Do your own research and see!

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
What I don't understand is that the "claim" is that the 5.0 motor was not designed to run E85 but the f150 5.0 with the same internals is designed to run E85. Somehow the mustang 5.0 is going to suffer from this but not the f150.
I could see issues happening on a car that is never maintained while running e85 or one that is constantly ran without getting up to operating temp to burn out the fuel from the oil.

How about instead of soaking a guide in 100% ethanol you soak it in motor oil with like 1 drop of e85 mixed in to simulate real world conditions? I mean who is using e85 for motor oil?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I ran e85 for over 2k-3k miles straight and then tore down for OPG's. I did not see any wear on the tensioners at all.

I now have almost 5k more miles on straight E85. When I put my shortblock in I will post pictures of the tensioners in this thread.

_Snake_

Established Member
So how many engines have you seen suffer catastrophic engine failure directly related to this newly discovered problem?

I was going to ask the same, but of the members here. Anyone had this happen? Or personally know someone this has happened to?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I was going to ask the same, but of the members here. Anyone had this happen? Or personally know someone this has happened to?

Not once here, plenty of times my oil smelled of E85, those parts are going strong. I would know, just had em in my hands the other day.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I lurk more these days then anything....but it always seems that MMR's new products (which seem like decent replacements when NEEDED) try to create a problem for their "solution" rather than them actually seeing a proven problem then creating a solution.

Just my impression over several years of watching their posts.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I lurk more these days then anything....but it always seems that MMR's new products (which seem like decent replacements when NEEDED) try to create a problem for their "solution" rather than them actually seeing a proven problem then creating a solution.

This is the pattern I am seeing. For the record I like MMRs stuff, but I do not like their 'scare' approach in positioning their parts. They make great parts that can stand on their own without scare tactics. With regard to these MMR tensioners, if I were changing OP gears and or doing cams etc, I'd probably go ahead and put them in for piece of mind. I am certainly not going to tear it down, because I am worried they might fail do to the ridiculous position being pushed in this thread.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
This is the pattern I am seeing. For the record I like MMRs stuff, but I do not like their 'scare' approach in positioning their parts. They make great parts that can stand on their own without scare tactics. With regard to these MMR tensioners, if I were changing OP gears and or doing cams etc, I'd probably go ahead and put them in for piece of mind. I am certainly not going to tear it down, because I am worried they might fail do to the ridiculous position being pushed in this thread.

My exact thoughts. If/when I'm in my engine I'll probably upgrade with some of there parts....but I don't like "the sky is falling" type of sales BS.

Honestly, I'd be more apt to use another company who sells similar parts JUST because of their sales approach.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Guys, this is not a scare tactic or a "sky is falling" , it is simply something we have found, and we have come up with a solution. If you dont believe it is a problem that is your opinion and we respect it. Unfortunately it has been a problem for us and many of the race teams that we work with. We are going to post some pictures and data next week of some chain guides after sitting in E85 polluted oil, then, the members here can make a educated a decision based on the same data and information that was used to create this product - stay tuned, and thank you to the SVT members as usual for your business, we greatly appreciate it!

MMR

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
plenty of times my oil smelled of E85

Exactly, the smell is evident because of the e-85 content in your oil. Glad to hear your guides still look good, it seems certain oils and fuel types are less resistant than others. Time will tell as more and more E 85 Coyotes are being daily driven. We still do not know the full affects of it, but like us and many of the teams we deal with, we simply cant take a chance on a $99 part when the engines our teams are using are $30K+.

CPRsm

Honestly, I'd be more apt to use another company who sells similar parts JUST because of their sales approach.
So you're saying you would prefer "Hi guys, we made a new part. Don't worry, your original has no chance of breaking so don't be scared. We just made this part just because. Please buy." When they or anyone comes in telling everyone to hurry and tear down their engine before it self destructs, you might have a valid point. Otherwise, come on dude

You should also pay attention to other posts in those threads as well. Not long ago a lower billet gear became available by MMR. Same posts just like yours coming up. Because people had never heard of it, that meant it didn't exist. Until vendors slowly started saying that had also broken them. One vendor claiming to break 3 of them on his engine alone. So what I'm getting at is guys who do it EVERY day, might have a bit more insight on the matter. And it might go over a bit better to ask questions instead of assuming your average coyote owners experience of 1 car, is probably not the end all of what you need to know. Better yet if you don't believe it, just don't buy it lol

Users who are viewing this thread