MM&FF set on ruining 1331 mile Teal Cobra

racerbox77

Established Member
9 deuce gt said:
What would happen if they make this car really nice. Say a T56, built 8.8, a nicely built 306 or 347 with all the latest technology making 425-450 hp, large brakes (Baer or keep the Ford Cobra theme, possibly Brembos), some nice 5 lug wheels to go with the brakes, and totally detail the stock paint. Keep the interior stock. I and many of you would classify that as a sweet car. What if this is the car MM&FF builds and only takes it to the darg strip to "see what it can do" and occasionaly to the autocross.

What would your impressions be then? What if they don't build this thing into a dyno/track/thrash mule? Would the opposition still be there for you guy's?
You just described my car. :coolman:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
2001BlackSVT said:
If this car was an R model I could see where you guys were coming from, but it's just a cobra, of which a few THOUSAND were made. It's not a few hundred vehicle limited production run like the 93R, 95R, and 00R, or the 1994 Hardtop Convertle Cobras, or even the mystics. The car is only 13 years old, it's missing the drivetrain, who gives a shit if they mod it? Personally, I'd rather mod a car with low miles, because it would be in awesome shape and would take less money to make it look nice. Maybe I'm naive but I hardly see that car as a "collector"

I've got a Mystichrome (obviously) but my 93 Teal is way more rare than my Mysti. 1 of 185 vs 1 of 1010 (or 1 of 515 hardtops). Plus my 93 has the sunroof option which, from my understanding, makes its even more rare. I love them both thats for sure but tearing into a 13+ year old 1 of 185 collectable with only 1330 miles wouldn't have been my 1st choice.

Last edited:

Harry Schneider

Established Member
Double"O" said:
i don't care what they do to it so long as they do something other than a 05+ artical

No kidding!! I quit buying it (MM&FF) because that's all there is in there! 05+ Stangs are nice and all but come on, the majority of us guys still drive 04's and older cars. Total 05+ over-kill. How many articles do you wanna read on 05 bolt-on mufflers?

SVT Fun

Established Member
Well, here, let me give my opinion. ..................... ............................... .................... ...................... .................

Ok, there it is, my aptly stated opinion.

I know, I know. This opinion is a bit caustic, perhaps even rancorous, maybe, just maybe a tad bit cantankerous.

Oh wait, It's his or her car. Let's tell them what they can and cannot do with it. And, by the way, you can't wear corduroy pants on Thursday. Dress slacks are a no-no on Wednesday. No jeans allowed on Friday, Monday and Saturday. Khakis are allowed on Tuesday, but only Tuesday.

And no more beards or mustaches allowed. You must cover your face with a veil on Sunday.

I don't like tennis shoes, either, no more wearing those, even if you buy them.

And if you own a home it must be carpeted throughout, no marble or tile floors, not even in the foyer, bathroom or washroom.

If you own a 4x4 truck no more mud riding or pulling trailers with it.

And, in conclusion, let's outlaw tanning bed salons. You know, those things cause skin cancer......DOH!!!!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
9 deuce gt said:
What would happen if they make this car really nice. Say a T56, built 8.8, a nicely built 306 or 347 with all the latest technology making 425-450 hp, large brakes (Baer or keep the Ford Cobra theme, possibly Brembos), some nice 5 lug wheels to go with the brakes, and totally detail the stock paint. Keep the interior stock. I and many of you would classify that as a sweet car. What if this is the car MM&FF builds and only takes it to the darg strip to "see what it can do" and occasionaly to the autocross.

What would your impressions be then? What if they don't build this thing into a dyno/track/thrash mule? Would the opposition still be there for you guy's?

And this is exactly what this car could realistically become^^^^^^^. The vendors who supply parts for the "magazine mentions" are always interested in getting their latest and greatest toys in print and picture, that is how they sell stuff. I would guess, and this is just a guess, that this car will be a project that will be done with the underlying thoughts, by the editor(s) of an "ultra low mile 93 Cobra" as the base for the project. These guys have been around the hobby for a while, if they were a brand "x" magazine doing the mods to a prime example of a roller 93 Cobra, it could be a different story. I would guess if the average 93 Cobra or Fox guy would have run across this car (missing its drivetrain with no hope of rejoining it together) before the magazine found it, there would be at least some mods done, if not many mods, the difference is, the magazine gets that parts for free, and the mods are top of the line for all to see.

R

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Some of you guys are acting like this car's going to the crusher. So what if they mod it and put some miles on it, it'll still be a rare top notch low mile car. And will always have more value than the average cobra.

buddha93

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
Of those 4993 Fox Cobras, how many haven't been totalled? Cut up and turned into all out racecars? How many do you think that leaves on the road? Of those still on the road, how many are in perfect condition with less than 2,000 miles on them? I'd bet there are more impossibly low mile 1993 Cobra R's. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is a rare car, I don't care if it has an engine or not. I won't know how I feel about what's being done to this car until I see it done, I'm on the fence. If they build it like 9Deuce specified and treat it real nice I'll cream my pants over it. I can appreciate finding a nice clean project as much as the next guy- but that's no reason to downplay what this "roller" really is.
</rant>

As much as these cars are becoming more and more rare, i.e. collectible, we're a long way from seeing them being worth the big bucks. And yes, that car will be worth less without the original drivetrain, regardless of the VIN tag. Why do you think he only paid $5000 for it now.

On any given week you can find them on Autotrader, Ebay, and the web. The fact is, they are still easily accessible to the average Joe. If your looking for a low milage collector and have a fat wallet, one of those could be had. Heck there is a Vibrant Red one on Ebay right now for $22.5 with less than 5k miles on it. To me that means they are holding their value, not appreciating drastically.

These aren't the new 60's muscle cars.........not just yet anyway, give it another 15-20 years, and then we can have this disscusion.

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
You seem to have completely missed my point. It has nothing to do with how many dollars the car is or ever will be worth, it has to do with how many of them there are. I don't give a shit about the money any more than you do about some idiot making an ElCamino out of one, that isn't the issue. There is only one year of SVT Fox Cobra, it's the only Mustang that only got the SVT treatment for only one year and is the lowest production number of any of the years. By a huge margin.The entire drivetrain can be replaced to the point that no one will know or care if it's the original or not, but nobody is making any more D code Fox VINs or Cobra rad. support build tags.

And just how much do you think the "average Joe" makes?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
There is only one year of SVT Fox Cobra, it's the only Mustang that only got the SVT treatment for only one year and is the lowest production number of any of the years. By a huge margin.

I looked at the SVT Cobra Recognition Guide last night, I don't see the production numbers that way at all. I see the the 93 Cobra (in its one hatchback bodystyle) at the 5100 minus the 107 R's, but I see fewer numbers in the 1994 Cobra Coupe, 1995 Cobra Coupe and 1998 Cobra Coupe. Now if we want to talk about the Convert. production, which was not offered in the 1993 Cobra, then we are talking far less in number by body type, 1000 in 1994, 1003 in 1995. The total of two different body styles, Coupe and Convert. per build year can not be totaled and used as a production figure measured against the 1993 Cobra when there was not a Convert. option in the 93 Cobra offering. As different as the 1994 and 1995 options were (94-Pace Car, 95-Removable Hardtop, 95R-Model), they can not be "lumped" together either. They have specific differences and available options that do not cross over the whole 94-98 Cobra production time line. They may look similar and be of the same SN-95 platform, but that does not make them all the same in one total number. Each year and body type (Coupe or Convert.) is independent and counted that way in the SVT Recognition Guide.

Yes, I agree that the 1993 Cobra is "unique" in comparision to the 94-04 Cobra build because of its Fox platform, but it can not be considered the lowest build number Cobra over the 93-04 time period, there were others that were lower, some much lower.
R

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Robert M said:
Yes, I agree that the 1993 Cobra is "unique" in comparision to the 94-04 Cobra build because of its Fox platform, but it can not be considered the lowest build number Cobra over the 93-04 time period, there were others that were lower, some much lower.
R
It certainly can. A Cobra convertable is still a Cobra. The simple fact is, if you want a standard Fox Cobra, there were 4993 made. It won't matter to you whether the '94 you're looking at is a coupe or a vert, all that matters is that it isn't a Fox. If you want to split that hair, the same could be said for whether or not my Fox has a sunroof. I'm sure there's a statistic for that somewhere, and someone saying their '93 Cobra with a sunroof is or isn't more rare than one that doesn't. At the end of a body style, there were still X amount made. Even removing the verts from the totals, there were still more Cobras made in the other bodies than the Fox. If you insist on separting the verts like they're something completely different, it doesn't change anything. There were 5100 Fox Cobras. There were 11,081 SN95 Cobra convertables. 9004 5.0 SN95 Cobra Coupes. 19,631 SN95 4.6 Cobra Coupes. Still only 5100 Fox Cobras, in ANY trim- notice me pumping up the Fox numbers by including the R's, it's still not even close. The only reason I say "93 SVT Cobra" as if the year has any relevence at all is that it's the only year there was one for the Fox. If it weren't, I would include all the other years they were made in the total, and I never would have had anything to say in this thread to begin with... but there aren't any. That is my point, and it's really that simple.

edit* re-reading our posts, I think see where you got the argument. I mis-spoke myself by saying it's the lowest production of the years, which seems to be what you were arguing. Looking at your list of personal cars, I can see why you'd jump on it. That wasn't what I was trying to say, but this post should clarify that, I hope.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
It certainly can. A Cobra convertable is still a Cobra. The simple fact is, if you want a standard Fox Cobra, there were 4993 made. It won't matter to you whether the '94 you're looking at is a coupe or a vert, all that matters is that it isn't a Fox. If you want to split that hair, the same could be said for whether or not my Fox has a sunroof. I'm sure there's a statistic for that somewhere, and someone saying their '93 Cobra with a sunroof is or isn't more rare than one that doesn't. At the end of a body style, there were still X amount made. Even removing the verts from the totals, there were still more Cobras made in the other bodies than the Fox. If you insist on separting the verts like they're something completely different, it doesn't change anything. There were 5100 Fox Cobras. There were 11,081 SN95 Cobra convertables. 9004 5.0 SN95 Cobra Coupes. 19,631 SN95 4.6 Cobra Coupes. Still only 5100 Fox Cobras, in ANY trim- notice me pumping up the Fox numbers by including the R's, it's still not even close. The only reason I say "93 SVT Cobra" as if the year has any relevence at all is that it's the only year there was one for the Fox. If it weren't, I would include all the other years they were made in the total, and I never would have had anything to say in this thread to begin with... but there aren't any. That is my point, and it's really that simple.

edit* re-reading our posts, I think see where you got the argument. I mis-spoke myself by saying it's the lowest production of the years, which seems to be what you were arguing. Looking at your list of personal cars, I can see why you'd jump on it. That wasn't what I was trying to say, but this post should clarify that, I hope.

Thanks^^^.

I really was not trying to argue, just stating the facts as the SVT Cobra Recognition Guide states them, broken down by year and body style and then the production numbers of each. Yes, since the SVT Cobra was introduced at the end of a platform run, those would be the least built, (on that platform) in comparision to the new platform being introduced 94-up, it only makes sense.

I even found out that the 94 and 95 Cobras are not exactly the same as I had thought they were from general observation.

R

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Low production numbers or not I believe the 93 is liked allot more than the 94/95 5.0s. The modern 5.0 started in a Fox car and was the rebirth of the Mustangs performance image imo. Those Fox cars were labed "5.0s". Everyone knew what the 5.0 was all about and a ton of them were sold. When I bought my 1st 93 I couldn't afford the 93 Cobra so I got the LX 5.0 instead. I modded the crap out of it and had a blast! Although my 04 is a blast as well, it doesn't have the same boy racer appeal as my 93 did. Nothing sounds better than a cammed 5.0 w/ offroads and Flows! Being a Cobra owner and knowing how fun the 5.0 was it wasn't long before I wanted another 5.0 so why not get the 93 Cobra to go along with my 04 Cobra! It has the unmistakable lines of the 5.0 Fox cars but is different enough to stand out from the rest of the 5.0s.
As much as I love my 04 I still love seeing a 93 Cobra on the streets, which is vary rare these days.

stangbear427

Established Member
Rare indeed. I see at least one Cobra every day (usually two or three), but mine is the only '93 I've ever seen around here. Granted, I never go to shows or Mustang rallys, and I know mine isn't the only one, I've just never seen another one out driving around.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I agree completely. For a while there I was seeing '93's regularly and knew a few people who owned them. Now I rarely see one, and I only know of a few out there, that rarely see the road anyway.

I love my '03, but I seem to have more fun throwing around my '93.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I agree completely. For a while there I was seeing '93's regularly and knew a few people who owned them. Now I rarely see one, and I only know of a few out there, that rarely see the road anyway.

I love my '03, but I seem to have more fun throwing around my '93.

I agree, I rarely see any clean Foxes around anywhere, and definitly not a 93 Cobra. Most Fox Bodies were beaten and abused. It seems that many, but not all of the guys who follow these cars (85, 86-93 Fox Body) are die hards and are not as interested in the SN-95 and newer Mustangs, they appreciate the newer Mustangs, but prefer the 93 and earlier cars. The same seems to be the case for the SN-95's, but in the SN-95's there are the 5.0 guys, and modular guys, again two different followings, some of them cross over, but many are die-hards in the cars that they know/like, and stick with cars from that era/platform or specific engine type, 5.0L or 4.6L. Then the 99-up, the Terms, etc. It is interesting to follow the threads in each of these forums. I can see the 86-93 Fox $$$ coming on in the next few years. Many of the guys who grew up with and owned one of these cars during their hey-day will be interested in buying one again and some will be first time buyers who always wanted one but didn't quite get there. The difference now is, nice original examples are scarce and prices and demand for them will be high. When many of the Fox owners are not modding, but instead looking for "correct original this and that", start watching the market................

It is already beginning.

R

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
You seem to have completely missed my point. It has nothing to do with how many dollars the car is or ever will be worth, it has to do with how many of them there are. I don't give a shit about the money any more than you do about some idiot making an ElCamino out of one, that isn't the issue. There is only one year of SVT Fox Cobra, it's the only Mustang that only got the SVT treatment for only one year and is the lowest production number of any of the years. By a huge margin.The entire drivetrain can be replaced to the point that no one will know or care if it's the original or not, but nobody is making any more D code Fox VINs or Cobra rad. support build tags.

And just how much do you think the "average Joe" makes?

Maybe I missed your point, maybe I didn't.

Ya, it's the only SVT Fox Cobra....why do you think myself and everyone else on this board bought one. It's by far the best looking factory Fox out there not to mention the coolness factor.

I treat my car as a somewhat of a collectible car keeping it garaged, pampered etc, but I didn't keep it from me sticking a 600+ hp engine under the hood either. :-D Everything I did to it can be put to stock, and I did find a driver with a few miles on it for my project rather than molest a low milage example.

So by your arguement, should I just pawn off my original drivetrain because nobody would ever give a shit that I have it for the car? C'mon man, get real.:dw:

As far as what the average Joe can afford, 8k can get you in a driver that needs a little work, and 25k can put you in a garage queen......hardly large sums of money in todays car market. That pretty much covers a kid in High School, a blue collar "Joe" like myself, or a college grad.

This whole arguement is based on "what if's" anyway. Who really knows what these cars will brings in years to come. Without a definite Cobra registry with the number of survivors out there, it will be anyones guess.

I'm on your side, really. Ideally if that car were mine, I'd track down that missing drivetrain and put it back to bone stock. Like I said before, the guy that seperated with it and the car is a bonehead.:nonono: But that's not going to happen, so lets hope the editor does something good with it while maintaining the classic looks of the Cobra.:rolling:

stangbear427

Established Member
buddha93 said:
So by your arguement, should I just pawn off my original drivetrain because nobody would ever give a shit that I have it for the car? C'mon man, get real.:dw:
Woah... I think you misinterpreted that- that isn't what I was trying to say at all. What I meant was more along the lines of: if you DID pawn it off, to the editor of said 1331 mile Cobra, he could put it in the car and no sane person would care that it wasn't the original, nor would most even be able to tell, if it was done right. Therefore, it's lack of the original drivetrain doesn't diminish it's value as a collector. As far as I'm concerned $5K was an insane steal for that car. I just paid $10K for my 100,000 mile Cobra, and I would trade it to him, even swap, in a heartbeat. There are lot's of people selling their original Cobra parts. For the cost of a new regular 5.0 shortblock and Cobra heads, intake,TB, MAF, cam, injectors and valve covers plus the $5K for the car, you'd have what is essentially a brand new '93 Cobra for about what I paid for mine- and in that brand new bone stock condition it would sell for $20K+ all day long. It strays from my focus of priority to get into it, but that's a helluva investment if you ask me. All that being said, it does look like we're more on the same page than I thought, so if we have to agree to disagree about anything I think I can live with it- LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread