Made a discovery

mackj66

Established Member
There are a couple things about this thread that are making my head hurt.

First of all...Congrats on the purchase.
Second, 126K is definitely NOT low mileage. (It's considered HIGH, at least I would consider it high when buying a toy)
Third, based on the capabilities of this motor and what you paid for the car, I am going to give a big fat NO to the 390rwhp....NA that is.

But, anything is possible I guess.

Last edited:

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
Yea def not. You also think 126k miles is low mileage and think that $5500 would be too much for a 390 rwhp n/a sn95??? Im starting to think my 61k mi car is getting too many on it...

126k is low mileage for the year. Has less than average miles per year. and pricey as in over NADA value pricey. Good price for the condition its in though

Smoked SVT

Established Member
126k is low mileage for the year. Has less than average miles per year. and pricey as in over NADA value pricey. Good price for the condition its in though

For a sn95 cobra it is not low mileage. Most of the cars on here are way less than that. And as for nada that wouldnt apply if the car had 390 rwhp n/a. That takes alot of work and you would have gotten a steal if that were the case. you obviously bought it off someone who doesnt know anything about cars or just likes to lie. :shrug:

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
For a sn95 cobra it is not low mileage. Most of the cars on here are way less than that. And as for nada that wouldnt apply if the car had 390 rwhp n/a. That takes alot of work and you would have gotten a steal if that were the case. you obviously bought it off someone who doesnt know anything about cars or just likes to lie. :shrug:

Lol ya maybe. But most of the cars here are also track cars or weekend cars and such. This was and will be a DD :-D Also, thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As for engine bay pics:
DSCN2056.jpg

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2058.jpg

94venomV8

Established Member
My car doesnt even make 390rwhp on 8lbs of boost lol. On top of this how did he measure the RWHP without a dyno or sheet to prove it? Probably a dash mounted Gtech hahahaha.

I hate to jump to conclusions but I am going to guess you don't really know much about these cars if you think it would even be possible to make that power N/A and not have cames and higher compression, at any rate you would definitely notice if it had those parts, its kind of hard to miss the sound of cams in these cars. I like your sig though 390hp dont know whats in it... lolololol

Please get a dyno so then you can see that it has around 125hp less then that. Does it even have a cold air intake on it, or exhaust?

EDIT: seen pics right after I posted, you have confirmed it you are 100% not making that much power and have been lied to by the owner he obviously had some reason to lie to you. Dude your car has a stock TB, stock air intake, has all the EGR and smog still hooked up, Stock MAF which tells me you have stock injectors which would not support that kind of power N/A, and all accessories still spinning. Do you really think its going to make more power then a supercharged cobra with a factory engine???

Last edited:

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
Youre right I don't know much about these cars. This is the first Mustang, let alone Cobra, I've owned. But I'm learning! I owned a 05 Pontiac GTP previously

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
dude, your going to start learning fast. your car looks pretty stock from what i can see but that just means you can make it look like you want it too.

MLS

Established Member
Im sorry, but you have been lied to you probably only make 250 rwhp because that air filter is more likely to take hp then add it.

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
yea dude. it doesnt have that much hp. he lied to you.

but on a good note, its a really clean car and you paid a good price for it.

no2moro

Established Member
Maybe the previous owner meant to say 290hp.:shrug:

If you take your time and look around you can always find a cobra for less.

I just bought my 98 cobra, with 43,000 miles and I paid less than 5 grand. Clean title never been wrecked.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Maybe the previous owner meant to say 290hp.:shrug:

If you take your time and look around you can always find a cobra for less.

I just bought my 98 cobra, with 43,000 miles and I paid less than 5 grand. Clean title never been wrecked.

Now THATS a deal!!! I wish I hadn't bought my $6000 bicycle and just bought a spare cobra :whine:

94venomV8

Established Member
Also since this will be a DD, would 4.56 gears be the best idea?

If it is a daily driver I would go either 4:10's or 3:73 gears, 4:10s are kinda the best of both worlds IMO but if you do alot of highway driving then I would go 3:73. The filter wont hurt your HP, I think he was saying because the filter is in the engine bay and not in the fender but that is minimal and it isnt like your going to see a huge jump just from doing that. If I were you I would worry about the looks of it first, you can make that thing look awesome! With that many miles on it just do looks until the motor goes and then you can build a nice one and make some real power:rockon:

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
Nice looking car....like has been said its more than likely closer to 260-280 hp range....saw what appeared to be a water pump pulley so I assume its got underdrives...the mileage definatly isn't going to help make horsepower but in stock form these cars seem dependable with that high of mileage and beyond...the only real concern with the gearing is if you can put up with the sound at the speed you drive as the effect on gas mileage seems mininal(2-3 mpg)....drive in 4th gear and you will have an idea of how loud it could be(assuming it has stock gears)...

read up alot in this forum and you can learn a good deal...my cobra was my first mustang and in just the past year I have learned these cars in and out mainly from this site along with a few others....you will learn what will break on you and what will last forever for you...take care of the car and drive smart and safe and it should get you another 100,000 without too much....

Users who are viewing this thread