MA Inspection Trouble! MA READ THIS!

Mystic1199

Established Member
as for me i was flagged last year aparrently...last year my car read "not supported" because of custom tune but still passed...that being said i went this year and the state knew it, so as they said i was a code 4...tampering. had to go to MAC.... guy called me from MAC and said what i needed to do, pretty cool btw. said i neeeded cat codes to pass. so had to put stock pipe back in for visual check...btw i have 3 tunes..stock, custom and INPSECTION. simply put it back to inpsection tune and all is good. pretty much a pain the ass but now i know what to do. btw after i put the inpsection tune in the codes didnt go to ready....had to drive for a while..WELL..they didnt.... come to find out the mass air i have was too big. i switched it out for a slightly smaller one and in 10 min of driving it switched back to ready...bottom line if your tune is correct meaning INSPECTION tune your cool. i can keep it in all year wont hurt it. im back to o/r pipe....:rockon:...p.s. didnt care about dr's or tint just the code issue.

Where was the place you went to if you dont mind me asking cause your down near me ...

and your right they dont care about anything but codes at least to place i went to and i guess the one you went to

A.T

Established Member
Mine got flagged due to a pre-test I did in March with the tune to see if it shows not supported. And they all were and test result said pass. I did the pre-test just because of hearing of the problems not supported. Luckily I know someone with a catted mid-pipe and we are going to swap mid pipes for a little bit. That's if his BBK catted H will work on my MAC, which I've seen some post saying they can swap. I'll be going in the next couple weeks.

A.T

Established Member
Got mine cleared out today. So wierd that a catted BBK h-pipe made it louder and sound better than the o/r Pro-Chamber.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Read through all of the posts in here and damn am I glad I dont live in MA.

msg1320

Established Member
Same thing happend to me last week and my car has cats on it i just goin to leave the reject sticker on it.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Can't leave a rejection sticker on.

Last edited:

A.T

Established Member
msg1320... If you get a rejection sticker due to emissions,
then the MAC, (Motorist Assistance Center), will be notified
and your car will be flagged for inspection. You can't get away
with a rejection sticker for very long.

Where did you hear about this? If you retest 3 times in 60 days after a reject emission then you get referred to the MAC. I have seen rejects over a year old and had no problem putting another reject on it or passing sticker (including my boss's 2005 Tundra with 300k that had an emissions reject since the new program).
I had a 2009 Tacoma in the shop yesturday and o2 and cat were not ready and the customer had driven it 3,500 miles since the computer was reset to try and make the monitor work (not sure why someone tried it). It went 6,000+ miles since it was rejected in April. I hooked up the scanner, it had no codes. But going through the list of monitors I found the Bank 1 Sensor 2 OHM impedance was a bit abnormal. Going to install a new o2 sensor tomorrow from Toyota. I think the sensor works sometimes and is the reason why the engine light never came on. If you can get a good scanner, check all your monitors to see if something doesn't look right. This is what didn't look right:

1002120944.jpg

KenCobra03

Established Member
I took out my Cobra last night to put more miles on the drive cycle,
which was up to 732 miles after I came back after my run.

Last edited:

KenCobra03

Established Member
I was doing my drive cycle and I drove 1014 miles. This was a pain.

Last edited:

yuke175

Established Member
I got flagged for no cats and I guess even though I had mil eliminators my old tune tuned them out. I uploaded a new canned tune from my diablosport and was able to pass no problem without cats and mil elims

if you get flagged go to the braintree mac center, the older guy is a hot rod guy and liked my car and even tried to help me get around the issue. The young guy over there seemed less lenient

Mystic1199

Established Member
yuke might not want to put that out there on an open forum ;-)

but yes he is a good shit i used to work with him back in the day at ford

SilverSline

Established Member
Def a widespread problem for people this year and everyone is talking about this. Its caught alot people by surprise but you just have to stay under the radar.

Basically the only thing that has changed is that all your emissions systems now have to at least appear to be present and working electronically. It could be worse, at least you do not have to pass an actual smog test at the tail pipe anymore. Tuners used to delete some the emissions tests that your ECM performs. All OBDII vehicles run these tests. You just can't delete those tests anymore.

If your car is tuned, verify if any of your emissions monitors have been deleted. If all monitors are present but not ready/passing, you will get a plain old rejection sticker. Thats a seperate issue and not as big of a deal. If the monitors are deleted by your tune, you get sent to MAC. Its your tune thats getting you flagged so do not show up at the inspection station if you are not sure. Your local state inspection station can not help you out either. They have to plug into your OBDII port and your automatically screwed.

And you do not have to change any of the performance parameters of your tune or put your car back to stock if you avoid getting flagged in the first place. Of course all the other safety rules for the inspection still apply but any of those violations alone will not get you sent to MAC.

Def worth it to take your car to someone and get checked out or prepped before going for your actual inspection.

Last edited:

Mike50

Established Member
I apologize for reviving this old thread, but I don't know where else to post my questions.

I just moved to Massachusetts, and my 2011 5.0 Mustang is failing inspection due to something with the O2 sensors and cats. It passed without any problems twice in Pennsylvania with my current mods.

It's 2011 5.0 with a Roush TVS (stock airbox), VMP tune, and 79mm pulley.

How do I get this thing to pass inspection? I was told that I have sixty days to address it. If I load the stock Roush tune back on along with the original 90mm pulley, will that allow it to pass? How should I go about this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. By the way, the RMV in this state is ABYSMAL.

03' White Snake

Established Member
The issue is the tune, the 02's must be turned off. You are allowed 1 not ready code but cannot have anything not supported. The easiest way to pass is to call Pete at Performance Dyno and setup an appointment for a tune. He can get your car to pass mass inspection with your car the way it is.

Hopefully you were not flagged in the computer to go through MAC inspection. That is a different story, they do visual check on everything.

Mike50

Established Member
The issue is the tune, the 02's must be turned off. You are allowed 1 not ready code but cannot have anything not supported. The easiest way to pass is to call Pete at Performance Dyno and setup an appointment for a tune. He can get your car to pass mass inspection with your car the way it is.

Hopefully you were not flagged in the computer to go through MAC inspection. That is a different story, they do visual check on everything.
Thanks for the response. Would I be correct to assume that the Roush tune with original pulley would allow it to pass? Also, why do tuners turn these things off? Is it for better performance? After swapping the tune and pulley, do I need to drive the car for a while before having the inspection done again?

I wasn't told anything about MAC, but I don't think there is anything illegal on my car. I haven't even tinted the windows (God forbid!).

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
You need a custom dyno tune in order to get it done right. The VMP tune does not take into consideration state of MA requirements.

Contact Pete @ Performance dyno, that's where 90% of us bring our cars. He'll get you tuned correctly and in position to pass and ready to go.

Trust me, you do NOT want to get flagged and sent to a MAC center, they will inspect your car top to bottom with a fine tooth comb.

Users who are viewing this thread