MA Inspection Trouble! MA READ THIS!

Mike50

Established Member
You need a custom dyno tune in order to get it done right. The VMP tune does not take into consideration state of MA requirements.

Contact Pete @ Performance dyno, that's where 90% of us bring our cars. He'll get you tuned correctly and in position to pass and ready to go.
Has he tuned 2011+ 5.0's? How much would it cost me to go that route?

And again, would swapping the pulley and tune back to what I left the Roush factory with resolve this issue? That would be a lot easier, and cheaper, than driving all the way to northern Massachusetts from Attleboro for a new tune.

Mike50

Established Member
I just got off the phone with Justin at VMP. He is going to send me an updated tune that will hopefully address this. I'll post an update once I have a chance to get it back to the inspection place.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Yes, Pete can handle new 5.0's...he actually personally owns one himself. There is a reason why people from all across new england and new york drive hours to go see him. He know's his shit.

Best of luck with your strategy of "hopefully" addressing it

SVTmystic290

Established Member
If you go again and "fail" again, you will have a scheduled trip to MAC in your future. Hopefully you make the right choice here or else your car will be going back to stock, which will be much less time and cost efficient then giving Pete a call. There is a reason I drove to him to get a good quality tune, and Im only 15 min from N. Attleboro. Good luck!

Mystic1199

Established Member
I bought my car out of state also and the monitors were turned off and had to go see Pete and he took care of it and car passed no problem ...

Now as far as Mac centers I don't know where you guys are going but when I went to my local Mac center and also a few friends also the inspector is only looking at why your car failed and that's it ...so for the guy to look over your car and say for example your windows are to dark but your monitors are turned back on I'm not going to unflag it from the computer is bullshit ...

My car went to the Mac center he didn't even pull it in just in front of bay plugged computer in saw Everything was good and said all set have a good day .

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I bought my car out of state also and the monitors were turned off and had to go see Pete and he took care of it and car passed no problem ...

Now as far as Mac centers I don't know where you guys are going but when I went to my local Mac center and also a few friends also the inspector is only looking at why your car failed and that's it ...so for the guy to look over your car and say for example your windows are to dark but your monitors are turned back on I'm not going to unflag it from the computer is bullshit ...

My car went to the Mac center he didn't even pull it in just in front of bay plugged computer in saw Everything was good and said all set have a good day .

+1

My car was flagged for the monitors being turned off so I had to go to the MAC center.

I went to the one in Fall River and the guy there was great. He let me pull my car into the garage. Then all he did was connect to my OBD II port and verified that everything was turned back on and was reading good. Then he sent me on my way.

In my experience, the MAC center for this issue was a piece of cake.

03' White Snake

Established Member
MAC center put my bros car on the lift and checked everything. His tint was too dark. They told him he was fine for a sticker. He went back to the original shop for his sticker. The shop put one on it. Then a few days later the shop received a fine for passing him with illegal tint. They were checking up on the shop because they knew it was supposed to fail.

So good luck if you have to go to a MAC center. Just warning you.

Mike50

Established Member
In case anyone was wondering, the updated tune file from Justin fixed the issue. I loaded the tune, drove it a few hundred miles over a week or so, and it passed inspection.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I apologize for reviving this old thread, but I don't know where else to post my questions.

I just moved to Massachusetts, and my 2011 5.0 Mustang is failing inspection due to something with the O2 sensors and cats. It passed without any problems twice in Pennsylvania with my current mods.

It's 2011 5.0 with a Roush TVS (stock airbox), VMP tune, and 79mm pulley.

How do I get this thing to pass inspection? I was told that I have sixty days to address it. If I load the stock Roush tune back on along with the original 90mm pulley, will that allow it to pass? How should I go about this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. By the way, the RMV in this state is ABYSMAL.

You think the DMV is bad? Wait until you see all the free handouts to free loaders, illegals, etc. From the governor to congress and all the way down to local jurisdictions. They just keep taking from those who are willing to work and give it to those that aren't. Just like the Jefferson quote. Welfare in this state is equivalent to a 50K a year salary if you believe the Boston Herald.

Anyways, just go see Pete for the tune and whatever you do don't disconnect your battery. I had to drive almost 200 miles to get my monitors to turn back on so I could pass inspection and that was all because my battery died over the winter a couple years ago. You can get an inspection station to plug your car in first before running the inspection. That way you will know if you have any monitors not ready that could fail you.

Users who are viewing this thread