MA Inspection Trouble! MA READ THIS!

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Pete tuned my car in 2009 and told me he couldn't shut off o2's or EGR or I would fail. I have his tune and the car runs perfect and passes every year. Only issues I've had was one year I put a new battery in and didn't drive it enough for the sensors to read correctly.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
F*ck this sh*t. You'd think MA would spend their efforts in getting their municipalities budgets under control and in the black. Instead they continue to pass useless legislation that further inhibits people's freedom. Un-f*cking-believable. Only a matter of time before they start issuing fines, fees etc for non-compliance. Fortunately this does not affect me but I am now rethinking getting LT's and an o/r x that is for sure.

thats why I went w/ bassani mid-lengths.. you can slip the cats on and off in 30 mins when its time for inspection

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
How long did it take you to run the full Ford drive cycle?

Chris...

About a week since I don't normally drive in the rain intentionally LOL. Went up and down I91 to Greenfield and back to Enfield exit.

BTW, the MAC Inspector told me back in 2010 that MA was now right behind California as far as inspections go. They take the emissions a step further because of the smog crap. And the guy did not challenge me on the Bassani Hi-Flo cats or the noise. All he wanted to see was the OBD report showing everything working and it was. This year my EGR failed, but since you're allowed one not ready, it wasn't a problem. A friend of mine has his Lightning EGR off, now has a Whipple... so when I swap blowers and put the POSI on, we'll try his EGR and see what happens. I really don't give a hoot whether I'm making 425, 435, or 445, I can't be bothered swapping stuff on and off for inspection LOL.

Hope your MAC experience is as good as mine. BTW, if you don't comply, they will yank your plates and as somebody mentioned there's no cheating the way its set up now. If you fail, you're flagged on the main DMV computer and you have 60 days to fix it.

Mike

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
F*ck this sh*t. You'd think MA would spend their efforts in getting their municipalities budgets under control and in the black. Instead they continue to pass useless legislation that further inhibits people's freedom. Un-f*cking-believable. Only a matter of time before they start issuing fines, fees etc for non-compliance. Fortunately this does not affect me but I am now rethinking getting LT's and an o/r x that is for sure.
nice circumvention of the obscenity filter

Mystic1199

Established Member
haha i wouldnt stress out to much man ...i failed back in July 11 and still havent gone to the MAC inspection no one has called me nothing ....i still drove my car around on weekends no problem

this spring im going up to pete and getting a new tune turn the monitors back on (car came from Maryland Herman shut off everything ) then going to get a inspection ...also i heard the local place around me the guy drives a lightning and is real friendly be another few weeks before i even bother ...i just woudlnt stress out because your not there for him to inspect your whole car just make sure the system is ready

Cobra83

driveway warrior
Established Member
Going to the mac center without cats is suicide. Also you can have one monitor not ready. Two is the limit for fail. However no cats is an obv fail and at the mac center I think its a hefty fine also.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Jesus... I'm sure NY is right behind. As far as plugging into another car, that worked in NY for about a year, till the state started closing garages down, and leveling huge fines. I would say if your heavily modded, grab heat gun and take off wife's car and hope for the best! You still run the risk of getting caught with stolen/bad sticker. I don't think many cops scan the stickers tho?

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Yeah and if you have to go right to the state don't f* around... I believe 97 and newer 1 inc , but I have passed cars with 1inc and 1pending code just don't shut car down if u have a pending code

LS2GTO

Established Member
Clearly this was just a tune related issue. Now I don't know how much different Fords are then GM cars, but the inspection station looks for the readiness of certain parameters...so you can't just turn the o2 sensors off, you have to trick them into reporting all is good.

I personally think Mass is a pretty lenient state in terms of emissions. I recently just tuned a buddy's cammed/catless CTSV and he passed everything with flying colors.

When I used to live in NJ, such a car would not even make it to the inspection bay...the inspector would literally tell you to take a hike as you pulled into the station knowing you were not even remotely close to being legal.

ctdkid

Established Member
Oh man that sucks... My car passed in July with no problems, but it must have been changed after that. I guess its a good thing i am buying a house in CT in two weeks. They still do emissions but not as strict. No safety

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I need to re-install the stock Cobra tune and drive 300 miles
and then I can go for a sticker again.

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
I know a lot f the talk has been about running without CATS but Will running a return less fuel system and no EGR be automatic fails as well?

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I need to drive about 300 miles and then I should be ready
to get my inspection re-test.

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Here's an idea: leave the car as is. Pack your stuff into the trunk and backseat. Send a moving company for the rest. Drive those 300 miles to a new home in a state with friendlier laws. Problem solved! :beer:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Ok, I went for a re-test at my inspection station. He scanned
my sticker and the computer flagged me to have to go to the
MAC. I'm not happy about this.
If the MAC says to re-install my stock tune, it will not work on
my Cobra unless I take my mods off the car. So I need to see
what's next at the MAC.

Sorry, but you are in trouble. The guys at the MAC stations are ball busters and check everything and take pictures

I had a friend who had to take all his mods off ( long tubes ), go get a sticker, then re-install them on the car

Good luck

Mystic1199

Established Member
Man i keep LOLING at these threads ...i think i explained it in another thread but ill do same thing here ...

Make sure your tune has all the monitors turned on (pete can do this as he did mine ) make an appointment at a Mac place ...they go in plug your car in , make sure everything is good then unflag your car from RMV , then go back to your inspection station and get a sticker EASY as that .

ken il send ya a PM

Mystic1199

Established Member
Sorry, but you are in trouble. The guys at the MAC stations are ball busters and check everything and take pictures

I had a friend who had to take all his mods off ( long tubes ), go get a sticker, then re-install them on the car

Good luck

maybe the MAC places are all different but place i went to he didnt even look at my car plug it in and was done ...if i saw a camera getting taken out i would have said see ya later and went to another MAC place .

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
as for me i was flagged last year aparrently...last year my car read "not supported" because of custom tune but still passed...that being said i went this year and the state knew it, so as they said i was a code 4...tampering. had to go to MAC.... guy called me from MAC and said what i needed to do, pretty cool btw. said i neeeded cat codes to pass. so had to put stock pipe back in for visual check...btw i have 3 tunes..stock, custom and INPSECTION. simply put it back to inpsection tune and all is good. pretty much a pain the ass but now i know what to do. btw after i put the inpsection tune in the codes didnt go to ready....had to drive for a while..WELL..they didnt.... come to find out the mass air i have was too big. i switched it out for a slightly smaller one and in 10 min of driving it switched back to ready...bottom line if your tune is correct meaning INSPECTION tune your cool. i can keep it in all year wont hurt it. im back to o/r pipe....:rockon:...p.s. didnt care about dr's or tint just the code issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread