M6 vs 07 Cobra???

SlowSVT

Established Member
mc01svt, sounds like you PMSing real bad :cuss:

mc01svt said:
Lightning/GT500 - Overhead cams, 5.4L iron block, eaton supercharger, solid rear axle, >3900lbs :shrug:

So what saying is that a Lightning is the technical equivalent to a GT500 in truck form with 2 less cams and 16 less valves and 1000 lbs. more pork. Not even in the same league.

you've challenged the wrong mechanical engineer

Ill save this one for last

#1 the roots type blower (eaton) was used on 2-stroke diesels back in the 30s

……and are also used in the majority of current supercharger applications. The piston engine was invented in the 1880’s and is still the powerplant of choice. So what’s your point?

#2 cast iron blocks are as bout as low-tech as possible. They only used it to be cheap not for it's apparent strength. Z06 = AL block, Viper = AL block, Ford GT = AL block........... just about every high performance car = AL block

“Cast iron blocks are as low tech as possible”. Tell that to an automotive or industrial engineer. For a mechanical engineer you seem to have little understanding of the merits of a cast iron. Without having to completely re-educating you let me explain a few of the advantages cast iron has over aluminum. If I’m wrong I would love to hear your views as an engineer like yourself from a technical perspective.

• Cast iron is a much denser material on a molecular scale then aluminum therefore is a much stiffer and stable material and has a higher yield strength.

• Cast iron is a very poor thermal conductor which will absorb much less of the heat energy produced during the combustion process and will produce power more efficiently then aluminum. Aluminum soaks up heat like a sponge and is much more prone to localized thermally induced stresses and hot spots. The thermal problems using aluminum are within acceptable limits but cast iron will do a better job of coping with it.

• Cast iron has almost 3 times less thermal expansion rate then aluminum and does not require as much care with regard to machining tolerances and cooling distribution.

• Iron blocks are cast as one piece and don’t require sleeves or steel main bearing caps. This will produce a much stiffer structure with much stronger threads that can be torqued to a much higher level then aluminum. Aluminum threads are much more prone to thread pull and stripping.

• Cast iron melting temperature is twice that of aluminum and will retain higher strength then aluminum at a given temperature. Aluminum melting point is at about 1320º and is much more prone to warping due to it's high thermal expansion rate.

• Cast iron can be molded using thinner cross section then aluminum and still maintain the same level of strength. Aluminum mod motor blocks must employ Siamesed bores because of this and don’t have 360º water jackets.

• Cast iron engines are much more durable and are used exclusively for continuous load industrial, marine and diesel applications where an aluminum engine will not survive very long.

• Cast iron has greater fatigue resistance then aluminum. Cast iron connecting rods are quite common in piston engines. Drag races use aluminum rods because of it’s lower compression strength that will absorb the shock loads from the power stroke and are then discarded after each run.

The only real advantage aluminum has over cast iron is that it is lighter and can be repaired quite easily and are much easier on machine tooling. The aluminum mod motor block are only 68 lbs. lighter then it’s cast iron counterpart. If cast iron was as light as aluminum then everyone would be using it for racing applications. During high loads and RPM’s the bearing saddles tend to move around in an aluminum engine. Ford uses aluminum in their lower horsepower/light duty applications but switches over to cast iron for engines when they need to ensure long term durability like as used in your truck and to minimize warranty claims. They use aluminum blocks in the mustang GT and Mach 1 but made the decision to use cast iron in their high end supercharged Terminator and GT500 cars (that was no accident). The GT uses a very expensive heavy duty aluminum block that is not likely to be driven many thousands of miles, stuck in traffic jams day after day and will be meticulously maintained by their owners. In all likelihood most GT’s will not be driven very hard by their owners as opposed to the abuse Mustangs will receive by us hot rod types who don’t have the dough to spring for a very expensive engine everytime we do something stupid.

I would like to see what kind of sense of humor an aluminum 427 cid Z06 engine or a 500 cid Viper engine will have if it was supercharged to the same level of performance as they are getting from a stock block cast iron 281 cid Cobra engine with just a set of pistons? Guys with turbo’s are putting down 800 hp to the ground quite easily. Have you seen how thin the metal is between the cylinder wall are on the Z06 engine? It’s scary! Under the same loads as the Cobra engine I don’t think the Vette would tolerate that level of power very long plus it doesn’t have to cope with equivalent of a 400 lb sac of cement sitting on the roof not to mention all the aerodynamic drag the Mustang has.

#3 solid rear axle (SRA) is inferior to an independent rear suspension in terms of overall handling. Only good for trucks or drag cars. again 60s technology

I won't argue with you on that but Ford has been winning races with the SRA SN197 against IRS equipped cars. Proof is in the pudding.

as for your last comment check the 03 guiness book of world records. THere you will find "SVT lighting, worlds fastest pickup truck" The only record the GT500 will break is "Highest charge over MSRP"

That's because nobody but Ford is stupid enough to build a high performance truck other then Dodge. I bet it won't take much to get a GT500 to race across the salt flats, pick up some Chinese take-out and get back to the finish line before the Lightning crosses the traps

take it how you want it but I've presented you with fact not fiction. Ford is totally ignoring high performance cars right now. The GT is cancelled, SVT has no models and the only reason they are making the GT500 is because they can make a quick buck. Meanwhile the Dodge boys have 7 high performance cars/trucks

To be honest you don't come across to me like you're an engineer. Most of your statements are nothing more then over simplistic statements that ignore some of the details that don't support your arguments. Based on your statements what I gather is that you are either your not a design engineer, work in low tech industry, new to the profession or cheated on your exam. I think your just bitter that Ford doesn't make your beloved Lightning and killed off the Adrenalin which is probably a smart business decision and now you taking it out on the GT500. In case you haven't noticed all the Detroit car companies are in trouble especially GM. They are not in the business to satisfy "your" craving for a go fast truck. Personally I can’t fathom why anyone would want pick-up truck that will get is ass handed to it by a Subaru. A truck is meant to be a rugged utility vehicle that used to haul stuff not some polished beauty queen with shiny rims and ArmorAll’d tires. Get over it!

COBRA32

Established Member
Yea that 60's technology beat BMW on the track. Who won the championship between Ford and Bmw, where they raced the new Mustangs against the M model BMW's. Last time I looked those straight axel race cars (mustang) put the hurting on irs (BMW M3). Ford not BMW won the Grand Am Cup and they even had to add weight to the Ford’s so the BMW's could keep up later in the season. So I think the new Mustangs chassis has proven it self to be a great handling car.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
mc01svt, sounds like you PMSing real bad :cuss:

“Cast iron blocks are as low tech as possible”. Tell that to an automotive or industrial engineer. For a mechanical engineer you seem to have little understanding of the merits of a cast iron. Without having to completely re-educating you let me explain a few of the advantages cast iron has over aluminum. If I’m wrong I would love to hear your views as an engineer like yourself from a technical perspective.

This is getting ridiculous

1st off I wasn't the 1 who brought up the lightning is this conversation. The thread is about M6 vs GT500. I know the lightning is not a sports car and should be never compared to one. I only did it to mock the person who brought up my truck

And yes my original statement is true. Cast iron blocks are inferior in automotive gasoline car applications. The weight savings alone are enough to merit the use of sleeved AL blocks. Significant reductions in weight also will magnifiy any level of performance that the vehicle already has. This is why you won't find cast iron in an airplane. If you want strength use Steel if you want high specific strength use Ti or AL. Anytime you see cast iron used in an application it was selected for cost reasons.

This is why the Ford GT has an AL block :idea: Again I must point out that FoMoCo used cast iron in the GT500 simply to save a buck. Fact not fiction

Before you question my credibility as a mechanical engineer please note that I've been employed by Boeing (Ground based midcourse defense), John Deere (Engine Engineering) and Ford (North American Diesel). So yes I've had formal training in engine design/manufacturing in automotive applications. If you'd like to verify this or get a job I have several contacts in the industry.

I'm through arguing because this thread is infested with people who are blindly loyal to the blue oval. If the customer base doesn't demand superior products you'll never recieve them. This is why the 6.2L hurricane engine program was cancelled. The corporate pricks in charge have the mindset that "they're going to buy our Sh!t anyway, why invest in a new engine" (turned out to be true) If you'd like to argue more about current automotive technology, start a new thread.

SlowSVT

Established Member
mc01svt said:
This is getting ridiculous

1st off I wasn't the 1 who brought up the lightning is this conversation. The thread is about M6 vs GT500. I know the lightning is not a sports car and should be never compared to one. I only did it to mock the person who brought up my truck

And yes my original statement is true. Cast iron blocks are inferior in automotive gasoline car applications. The weight savings alone are enough to merit the use of sleeved AL blocks. Significant reductions in weight also will magnifiy any level of performance that the vehicle already has. This is why you won't find cast iron in an airplane. If you want strength use Steel if you want high specific strength use Ti or AL. Anytime you see cast iron used in an application it was selected for cost reasons.

This is why the Ford GT has an AL block :idea: Again I must point out that FoMoCo used cast iron in the GT500 simply to save a buck. Fact not fiction

Before you question my credibility as a mechanical engineer please note that I've been employed by Boeing (Ground based midcourse defense), John Deere (Engine Engineering) and Ford (North American Diesel). So yes I've had formal training in engine design/manufacturing in automotive applications. If you'd like to verify this or get a job I have several contacts in the industry.

I'm through arguing because this thread is infested with people who are blindly loyal to the blue oval. If the customer base doesn't demand superior products you'll never recieve them. This is why the 6.2L hurricane engine program was cancelled. The corporate pricks in charge have the mindset that "they're going to buy our Sh!t anyway, why invest in a new engine" (turned out to be true) If you'd like to argue more about current automotive technology, start a new thread.

Yes, this thread is about the GT500 vs. the M6. To be honest I jumped on you because of the generalization you were making regarding the GT500. As an engineer you should know better then anyone that things are not so simple. For a racing application aluminum is a better choice over cast iron due to it’s weight saving but that’s where it ends. Ford’s current production aluminum block will not hold up very well in a high hp application and they know that better then anybody. Working for John Deere I imagine you didn’t see too many aluminum engines rolling off the assembly line. That is no accident. For me, I would not trade the durability of cast iron Cobra engine for aluminum one just to save 68 lbs. in a street car. There are other aspects of your post that omit certain facts that I won’t comment on to spare our fellow board members from reading.

1397 rwhp/ 1751 rwtq :eek:

I would love to hear what the ingredients are in that motor. Very impressive.

Be well :beer:

Wild Bill

Established Member
So what if it will use cast iron?The weight of the car is still about the same weight or less than the M6 and all the SRTs you mentioned!So whats your point? Dont even go there with the vettes.This is a performance muscle car that will have around the same performance as a 100k super sedan.It will out perform all the SRT8s and be pretty close to the SRT10. So please shut yer trap about the iron block and tell us what your going to get to out perform it for the money.
He wont reply to this or my last post because he knows he already lost this argument.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Pegilyn said:
So what if it will use cast iron?The weight of the car is still about the same weight or less than the M6 and all the SRTs you mentioned!So whats your point? Dont even go there with the vettes.This is a performance muscle car that will have around the same performance as a 100k super sedan.It will out perform all the SRT8s and be pretty close to the SRT10. So please shut yer trap about the iron block and tell us what your going to get to out perform it for the money.
He wont reply to this or my last post because he knows he already lost this argument.

funny............ I don't remmeber losing any arguments :rolleyes:

I simply stated that the GT500 is not a step forward in 21st century performance cars. I also stated that some of the things selected for this car were not selected because of performance but price.

I haven't argued anything about the Gt500's "bang for the buck" factor.

I won't comment on naming cars that will outperform the Gt500. As I would be speculating, seeing as how the Gt500 HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED OR TRACK TESTED YET!!!

Will the GT500 eclispe the performance of the terminator/C5 Z06?????......................... we will see in july

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
98GMEater said:
0-62 in 4.6 seconds is Supercar performance? Last I checked, the Terminator when 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds if i'm not mistaken, and I dont think the Cobra is a "Supercar". When you said "the new M6 resets the sports GT benchmark" I hope you werent talking about the Ford GT, because that hits 0-60 a second faster than that M6 (In other words.........Race Over)

The way the M5/M6 can hang with or beat the Viper, Ferrari 550, etc.. on top end makes it capable of supercar like performance as speeds increase. Also of course with the limiter off having a top speed a little of 200 mph helps too. 0-0 shouldn't even be put into the equation. S**t a Evo/ STi, Lotus Elise, etc.. are cars that have 0-60 in under five seconds and we know they're not supercars. Those cars may be able to stay with a M5 to 60 but as speeds increase you'll see why the M5 is compared to some supercars.

There's a guy over at ls1tech.com with a Viper that said he raced a E60 M5 and after 150 mph the M5 started making up the difference he lost at lower speeds!!

bluestreak89

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
The way the M5/M6 can hang with or beat the Viper, Ferrari 550, etc.. on top end makes it capable of supercar like performance as speeds increase. Also of course with the limiter off having a top speed a little of 200 mph helps too. 0-0 shouldn't even be put into the equation. S**t a Evo/ STi, Lotus Elise, etc.. are cars that have 0-60 in under five seconds and we know they're not supercars. Those cars may be able to stay with a M5 to 60 but as speeds increase you'll see why the M5 is compared to some supercars.

There's a guy over at ls1tech.com with a Viper that said he raced a E60 M5 and after 150 mph the M5 started making up the difference he lost at lower speeds!!

M/// power shines in high speed roll ons but from the jump there is nothing in the m cars that really give it a chance (no FI, low on torque, heavy as hell) the launch control will help some but other than that it's curtains against the likes of c6z, viper, porsches. IMO that SMG crap slows the car down too unless you really really know how to drive it. My friend tried the paddle shifter in his s55 and went 15.1 in the 1/4 went back to his auto and straight into the 12's. While I'm sure BMW's sMG is more refined it takes some hell-a-skill to master those things better off when the manual m5's and m6's come out, then you will really see these cars perform.

Slow Vette

Highway Junkie
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:

link???

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
M6, hands down,they're close in weight but the m6 is geared better and have better powerband to reach high speeds, not only that, but it was designed to hold itself very well at such speeds. aerodynamics are there for something, plus suspension, brakes, electronics etc,etc. the GT500 would be an excellent 1/4 mile car or street monster car, but i don't think it was designed to run laps at nurburgring.. , the s197 chassis is not the best platform for top end speed, also, the SRA suspension in the new stang didn't put a hurt on any irs suspension, it was the whole package, try to find any factory production stang gt that runs as fast or handle as good as those in the Grand am cup, besides, not every road is a flat as those racing tracks.

sorry, but the difference in price is well worth it to those who can afford it.

and fyi, the m6 would reach 200mph without any problems as it was posted earlier on this thread, speed limiter removed ;-)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63093&highlight=top+speed+run+m6+portugal

sorry fellas, i don't think the shelby has the aerodynamics/gearing to do that.
it would probably go to 170mph in 5th gear,maybe, but how much higher would it go in 6th gear with those aerodynamics???

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Wow, 200 mph in an M6 :uh oh:

I was skeptical of this at first. A Z06 won’t even do that. At those speeds aerodynamic drag is a big deal. I poked around on the net looking for the coefficient of drag on both cars and came up with .28 for the vette and .29 for the M6 so it’s about a wash. Looking at both cars your would think the vette would make the leap to hyperspace leaving the M6 in the right lane. Apparently not. The krouts do a great job at engineering and they obviously spent a lot of time doing CFD and wind tunnel testing. The vette probably runs out gear before it can get that high. The fastest I’ve ever gone is 165 on my bike and let me tell you at that speed your instincts take over. ANY miscalculation and you will be vaporized. I can’t even image how the guy with the camera managed to peel his eye from the road and pry his fingers off the grab rail to snap that photo.

One thing I did notice was that picture appears to have been taken at nighttime. If you look through the corner of the windshield it’s all black and the lack of shadows in the photo. Who goes that fast at night? I don’t think your headlights will reach that far. Also the guy looks like he has a pretty relaxed grip on the steering wheel where I would be white fisted, Kinda fishy. The guy must be a pro, stupid, have no fear, on Quaaludes or all four.

bluestreak89

Established Member
SlowSVT said:

I was skeptical of this at first. A Z06 won’t even do that. At those speeds aerodynamic drag is a big deal. I poked around on the net looking for the coefficient of drag on both cars and came up with .28 for the vette and .29 for the M6 so it’s about a wash. Looking at both cars your would think the vette would make the leap to hyperspace leaving the M6 in the right lane. Apparently not. The krouts do a great job at engineering and they obviously spent a lot of time doing CFD and wind tunnel testing. The vette probably runs out gear before it can get that high. The fastest I’ve ever gone is 165 on my bike and let me tell you at that speed your instincts take over. ANY miscalculation and you will be vaporized. I can’t even image how the guy with the camera managed to peel his eye from the road and pry his fingers off the grab rail to snap that photo.

One thing I did notice was that picture appears to have been taken at nighttime. If you look through the corner of the windshield it’s all black and the lack of shadows in the photo. Who goes that fast at night? I don’t think your headlights will reach that far. Also the guy looks like he has a pretty relaxed grip on the steering wheel where I would be white fisted, Kinda fishy. The guy must be a pro, stupid, have no fear, on Quaaludes or all four.

No No :nono: tight grip is your worst enemy at extremely high speeds, causes over reactive steering which, as you pointed out will get you done in quickly. Harder said than done relaxed but firm grip is the best. I have been up to 180-185 (too scared to look at speedo long enough to tell) and the car felt like i was riding on air and could simply slide off the road. And we are talking about a 4300lb car with me and my stereo equipment wheels etc. Im pretty sure it was valid too because my boy in his speed limited 160 mph s55 was right next to me then i just flew away when he hit the limit. Now I think going that fast and vieo recording is plum stupid but if you got the balls then..............

SlowSVT

Established Member
I never said a vicegrip hold on the wheel was good. What I was implying is that I'm a scaredycat :uh oh:

bluestreak89

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
I never said a vicegrip hold on the wheel was good. What I was implying is that I'm a scaredycat :uh oh:

There arent many people who would be calm and steady going that fast. And to me going that fast on a bike is insane, but you have to do it if you have one. Hence the reason I will never own a bike. Maybe a chopper.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
SlowSVT said:

i understand that, but we're a little far behind of what a high performance european machine would do at high speeds. i have family in spain, and i've been in my uncle m3 at 255kmh (160mph) in a highway that goes from Valencia To Alicante, you won't even know how fast you're going if it wasn't because you're looking at the speedometer. i won't even tell you how they call us here because of our 65mph highway speed limit.. their speed limit is 75mph, but even the buses would go at least at 80mph :)

Last edited:

bluestreak89

Established Member
Bluegoat06 said:
i understand that, but we're a little far behind of what a high performance european machine would do at high speeds. i have family in spain, and i've been in my uncle m3 at 255kmh (160mph) in a highway that goes from Valencia To Alicante, you won't even know how fast you're going if it wasn't because you're looking at the speedometer. i won't even tell you how they call us here because of our 65mph highway speed limit.. their speed limit is 75mph, but even the buses would go at least at 80mph :)

That's amazing and I bet they still have less accidents/per driver on road. Whatdayathink?

Users who are viewing this thread