Lund Tune Vs. AED Tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Piss poor customer service with Lund tuning thru lethal performance. End result was Lund wanted to charge me to look at my logs and pay for a tuning session. All I wanted was a " hey the log looks good". Shaun is a smart ass like me and believes in customer support like me. I will never switch unless I buy a gm product. Customer service matters to me but the tuning was just so much better.

I went from Lund to AED. The difference way night and day. Definitely more powerful and the car pulled smoother. Daily driving seemed easier on the AED tune. Almost like stock. My mods at the time were boss mani, x pipe. I asked to get my tune refined cuz I wanted to data log and they said they didn't need to. Kinda sketched me out.

Honestly these here, are part of the reason Shaun had tuned my red car and will tune my boss without question.

The fact lund refuses to such a giant degree to datalog/look at logs bothers me on his e-mail tune. While I think these tuners can get pretty spot on, that isn't to say there won't be variables and by datalogging you can tell for sure.

When I e-mailed lund and asked if he'd atleast datalog on his mailorder tune just to look at it and make sure nothing looked wacky and he said no, really bothered me.

Shaun on the other hand, wouldn't take me as a customer until I datalogged the car as she sat and then sent those in. Was bama tuned at the time. He said everything looked good, I paid, basemap sent, datalogged, sent those in, got revisions, datalogged again, sent those in, bam was done. Spot on the first revision.

Does it take a lot of extra work? sure, but I know nothing looks funky and cause for alarm.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
havnt had any issues with my lund tunes. and service was also really good. they have even emailed me tunes on sundays. multiple times actually. when you get a lund tune you should also go directly to their website for support instead of using the vendor that sold the tune.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
AED all the way. The great thing about Shaun is his customer service. I would pay more for the tune just because of that alone. We had my car tuned within a couple hrs if that. Not to mention his tunes are top notch. The fact that I usually get an email back from the guy within an hr or two if I have a question is simply amazing. Sip the Kool-aid!

tumblr_m0bn7dDLa71qmaa05o1_400.gif

Voltwings

Established Member
I do not have a first hand experience with Either, but a friend of mine just got his procharged 3.7 tuned by lund and hated every second of it. I follow lethal performance religiously and was shocked he would say such a thing about THE John Lund, but it was the same thing everyone here has been saying, piss poor customer service and a Meh tune. He had my buddy replace the spark plugs because he didn't think they were firing right, had him swap all the fuel injectors to the opposing banks because his AFR's were "weird," just a lot of extra stuff he felt was unnecessary.

Now I do some remote tuning myself (for a different platform) so I know what its like to get logs and be like "wtf is this shit..." but I saw the dyno with lunds tune (like 14 revisions in...) as well as the tune with the shop he took it to to get it retuned and it was night and day, much smoother graph with the local shop tune, as well as general improved drivability... So I know its all second hand, but take it or leave it.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Lund tune here, never had an issue and Ken answers all my questions quickly. I have had AED when na, and also had zero complaints

ou can't go worng with either tuner. I picked Lund for my paxton because I was doing the install myself and Shaun wanted to do the logs on a dyno, I wanted to do street logs only so Lund worked for me. Either way you go you will end up with a nicely dialed in car.

goat-ee

Established Member
Really?
Much better and more accurate?

You people do realize that the only real difference is one is standing at a computer onside of the car reading the logs he just took and the other is standing at a computer elsewhere looking at the logs he just had you take?

A dyno tune will also make a base tune based on mod list.

They do the same shit just in a different location.

Personally I'll take a good street tune over some WOT dyno only pulls any day of the week.

The DYNO makes it easier because you don't have to go flog your car on public streets to get data logs.
A good tuner reads logs and makes adjustments. He will do this no matter where the car is running.

You really shouldn't be spreading the truth like that!!! :poke: All of the shops that tell you that you have to get a dyno tune and charge all the extra money for it will be out of a job!! And then the guys who are really just looking for some BS dyno number to make them feel warm and fuzzy would be denied. Most of the guys that are the most proud of their dyno numbers NEVER go to a dragstrip.

Guys, a dyno is a tuning tool and a general idea of hp...nothing more. And since our cars have factory wideband, the tuning part of the dyno is just not really needed. And as Stampede stated, I actually believe that a street tune is BETTER than a dyno tune. And the reason is because the part throttle and WOT logs are on actual streets. So real world loading of the engine is occurring. And if you really think you have to know the HP, go to the dragstrip and get some trap times and plug that into a decent HP calculator program.

This calculator is flywheel hp, so get your number and then take the standard 12-15% off for drivetrain loss (rwhp). ET-MPH-HP Calculator

Last edited:

clean92lx

Established Member
^^SWEET! According to the calculator, my car is making 481 at the crank with just o/r x pipe and tune! AED FTW!! lol

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
You really shouldn't be spreading the truth like that!!! :poke: All of the shops that tell you that you have to get a dyno tune and charge all the extra money for it will be out of a job!! And then the guys who are really just looking for some BS dyno number to make them feel warm and fuzzy would be denied. Most of the guys that are the most proud of their dyno numbers NEVER go to a dragstrip.

Guys, a dyno is a tuning tool and a general idea of hp...nothing more. And since our cars have factory wideband, the tuning part of the dyno is just not really needed. And as Stampede stated, I actually believe that a street tune is BETTER than a dyno tune. And the reason is because the part throttle and WOT logs are on actual streets. So real world loading of the engine is occurring. And if you really think you have to know the HP, go to the dragstrip and get some trap times and plug that into a decent HP calculator program.

This calculator is flywheel hp, so get your number and then take the standard 12-15% off for drivetrain loss (rwhp). ET-MPH-HP Calculator

Shaun's dyno must be extremely low reading then, because according to your calculator you posted and 15% off drivetrain loss im about 515rwhp!

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Can't speak for Lund but you definitely won't be disappointed with AED. My previous tune through someone else on here was no good. Shaun easily fixed the issue with it after one dyno pull. He also has A++ customer service.

slo-5.0

Established Member
another one for rev auto in Baltimore, I made the 1 1/2 hour drive and glad I did. Wouldn't have anyone else touch my car! Adam is the man

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we offer lund tuning, so, of course i'm going to recommend Lund. the quality of the tunes is excellent,

most of the reading you do on customer service is when lund was way overloaded.

customer service is very good now and response is pretty quick.

not saying something can't slip through the cracks now and then, but they try to do a very good job.

as far as the n/a tunes. the n/a tunes are pretty spot on, especially after 4 years of the model being out. the tunes are always based off your modifications and you shouldn't have 0 issues.

you can also upgrade to a remote tune later on if you go to a power adder, and get credit for what you've paid already.

havnt had any issues with my lund tunes. and service was also really good. they have even emailed me tunes on sundays. multiple times actually. when you get a lund tune you should also go directly to their website for support instead of using the vendor that sold the tune.

Yes and no, you should def put a ticket in on the site if your having any issue, but my phone and email is always open for a 2nd ear if needed! :rockon:

CPRsm

Dyno haters lol. A dyno doesn't make the tune safer. But you don't know if the changes you make on the street actually make more power. All you can do is target safe timing and AFR. Cam timing is a good base you know will work, but not custom for your setup. You can do things on the dyno you wouldn't trust to a customer. You can change cam timing and see if there is a benefit for the exh or power adder you use. The power and boost level will dictate the cam timing and change as power goes up. That is something you can't check in a mail order tune. Just normal MAF tuning is easier and generally more accurate compared to how a customer will make the slow pull to 5k. Many times not steady or too fast. On the dyno you can make that pull as long as you want and target maf points more accurately. Not to mention if you have a car making more than 500-600ft/lbs. the safety factor of WOT or the if the tires start to come loose the data log is useless. Lets not bash a dyno operator because you don't understand the benefits of a dyno tune.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
had a stalling issue that wouldnt happen on the dyno, so dynos dont show everything. on the other hand why would you want to go do pulls on the street if you have access to a dyno? I say do both and win!!!

kona12

Established Member
I went from Lund to AED. The difference way night and day. Definitely more powerful and the car pulled smoother. Daily driving seemed easier on the AED tune. Almost like stock. My mods at the time were boss mani, x pipe. I asked to get my tune refined cuz I wanted to data log and they said they didn't need to. Kinda sketched me out.

SAME boat here wanted update and refine on the tune after over year on tune, which ive had no problems with car ran great. But was told no difference in tune. To me was weird considering your working on these Coyotes on a regular basis there's always changes and new updates on the tunes. Learned this fact my BMW tuning days. So I said time for change lets go AED , noticable difference right away. Shaun very cool dude with his associate got my car dynoed and tuned at a nearby location cars performs well. Till this day I still have both tunes no regrets to either..

Ratchet

Established Member
I wouldn't be leaving Kevin at JPC out of any talk on good reliable tunes. I have had JPC tunes in my car for almost a year now with no complaints. Kevin has no problem going thru datalogs for you if you feel the need to do so. The drivability is great, and the car pulls hard and smooth thru the powerband. If you have questions or any concerns, they will look after them for you. :beer:

CPRsm

had a stalling issue that wouldnt happen on the dyno, so dynos dont show everything. on the other hand why would you want to go do pulls on the street if you have access to a dyno? I say do both and win!!!

No not at all. The drum inertia can sometimes keep an engine running and cover a problem up. But even w a dyno tune you still want to get it on the street to check tip in and make sure the changes are reflected on the street.

I don't own a dyno. But I don't spend the money renting one all the time because they're cool lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread