Lowered The Snake Today

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
Finally got the cobra lowered today after months and months of studying how high up the car sits naturally. After leaving the Saleen for the cobra, I missed the sleek look of the lowered effect. I debated on which springs to buy. Finally, I decided to do it the easy way. I had my mechanic to cut one complete coil from the front and 1 and 1/4 from the back. The front looks awesome!! The back was a little l low so I had to install a spring spacer in order to raise it back up a little. To my surprise, the car kept the ride and improved on the handling side :pepper: For anyone considering this mod, make sure you cut (not by torch: do not heat the springs!) no more that 3/4 to 1 full coil off of the back. This will give you an awesome stance.

ModsAway

Established Member
Seabiscuit said:
I've always heard that cutting coils is BAD?!?! Yes? No?

It is not recommended on progressive rate springs and I definately wouldn't do it on my Cobra. Do it right or don't do it at all... just my 0.02. Though that being said I wimped out on doing right (coilovers) so what do i know lol.

racebronco2

Established Member
cutting springs are an accepted way to lower your car and still maintain the ride quality .... have you ever seen them make springs ... as the bar is coming out of the spring machine it is forming it into a desired diameter .... at a pre-determined length it is ... cut ... or sheared .... so why would cutting springs be bad unless you use a torch ... a friend of mine bought some springs for his cobra and it didn't lower the rear, he called them and they said that if he wanted any lower just cut the springs ..

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
Cutting springs is a damn redneck hillbilly way to lower your car, for god sakes it's a 35,000 car you should be able to afford some 180$ springs. And I am not even going to get into the springs spacers, lol. Get you some H&R's. The stock springs are progressie rate, cutting them is not good, you are changing the rate properties of the spring to an unknown factor.

Brannon

Established Member
1 bad bullitt said:
Cutting springs is a damn redneck hillbilly way to lower your car, for god sakes it's a 35,000 car you should be able to afford some 180$ springs. And I am not even going to get into the springs spacers, lol. Get you some H&R's. The stock springs are progressie rate, cutting them is not good, you are changing the rate properties of the spring to an unknown factor.

Agreed, it really is a bad idea.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I would just cut the springs, you will mantain the better ride quality then you would with any lowering springs on the market

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
1 bad bullitt said:

I fully agree and the stock springs are linear rate springs. I would never cut springs for a lower stance! Invest in some springs with a better spring rate than stock.

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
I got the Eibach Pro-Kit for my car, and I am thinking about taking the front out and cutting 1/2 coil off it. The front is still higher than the back.... The rear looks awesome, but even with Lt1's I had to cut the front springs 1/2 to 3/4 coil to make it look lower. (that cut is off of Eibachs not stock)

sobo

Established Member
i did the exact same thing to my car.....i cut 1 coil from the from and 1 1/4 from the rear. front was perfect rear was too low. SHELBYGUY gave me his stock springs so i could try it again. cut just one coil this time. perfect ride.. perect stance.... sold the unused h&r ss springs

just do it

jpicc

Established Member
1 bad bullitt said:

All you people crack me up about this "hillbilly" way of lowering. I had Eibach in my car, it didn't lower it enough. Their tech dept. said " cut a half of a coil off of them". Moroso drag spring tell you right in the instruction cut them to the desired ride height. You people have it your head that it's being "cheap", no it's not. I've tested the spring rate before and after, the spring rate change about 2-3%. The springs have a bigger difference un cut then that. The stock springs are NOT progressive. People that have cut there stock springs all say the same thing, no problem with ride and it looks great. The people that make comments are the people that have not done it or have no clue what they are talking about.

Last edited:

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I've had it done now for a week and I love the look and the ride. It doesn't feel like I lost ANYTHING on the ride. It actually feels like it handles a little better. If I had it to do all over again as I said in the beginning, I would do it again except that I would cut 3/4 off of the back springs instead of 1 complete coil. I will have some pics after this weekend (SCMC Track day). I will then post them here and you guys/ gals can decide.

freight hauler

Keep It Simple Stupid
Established Member
1 bad bullitt said:

Hey there... All I can say is that "it takes one to know one," you backwoods bayou bum :bash: And I got your "damn redneck hillbilly" swingin just above my left knee :pepper: Don't knock what you haven't tried :read: And do you know if you are changing the spring rate :shrug: Would it surprise you to know that, the shorter the spring, the more accurate the spring rate :D

cdh027

Established Member
RR03COBRA said:
I've had it done now for a week and I love the look and the ride. It doesn't feel like I lost ANYTHING on the ride. It actually feels like it handles a little better. If I had it to do all over again as I said in the beginning, I would do it again except that I would cut 3/4 off of the back springs instead of 1 complete coil. I will have some pics after this weekend (SCMC Track day). I will then post them here and you guys/ gals can decide.

Pictures please ??????? :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread