Lowered The Snake Today

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
4.6speed said:
No you do not, that is the hard and dangerous way to do it. Just pull the rear 2 IRS bolts and let the back half of the IRS swing down to let the springs fall out.

:beer:

Oh, how I love Hindsite. :)

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Anything else to remove or loosen besides the 2 rear IRS bolts? Such as exhaust?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah, you will have to remove the rear most section of the exhaust. But if you have the factory exhaust you will have to remove the whole cat-back.

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Just finished up the install, I just removed the hangers after the muffler and then the hangers above the tip and let it swivel down with the IRS. Call me a hillbilly all you want, the cut stock springs ride just like the Eibach kit I had on my 96 Cobra and lowered it down almost identical to pictures I see of H&R SS springs posted on here. I'll be posting tomorrow after I get to use my SSR2.5 and Clearkote Killer Combo I just purchased from SMP. Oh yeah, also got my windows finally tinted today!

cdh027

Established Member
BradN01 said:
Just finished up the install, I just removed the hangers after the muffler and then the hangers above the tip and let it swivel down with the IRS. Call me a hillbilly all you want, the cut stock springs ride just like the Eibach kit I had on my 96 Cobra and lowered it down almost identical to pictures I see of H&R SS springs posted on here. I'll be posting tomorrow after I get to use my SSR2.5 and Clearkote Killer Combo I just purchased from SMP. Oh yeah, also got my windows finally tinted today!

BradN01, please let me know exactly how much you cut from front and rear and if you used the stock isolators when you post the pics. :thumbsup:

MTI LS1

Is it ok to cut aftermarket springs. I want my back lower by about 1/2-3/4 in. You can tell in the pic in my sig. I think that cutting 1/2 coil would do the trick. What do yall think?

Established Member
I believe Sambandit cut his aftermarket springs in the rear about 1/2 coil because it sat a little too high. Now it looks killer. PM him I'm sure he can help you out.

MTI LS1

7168548 said:
I believe Sambandit cut his aftermarket springs in the rear about 1/2 coil because it sat a little too high. Now it looks killer. PM him I'm sure he can help you out.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
bradn01 wheres those pics??? what % tint did you get? also, is taking and putting back in the front springs hard?

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Need a way to host them, I used Madico Onyx 35% on the sides and 20% on the quarters and back. I cut all my springs from the bottom and re-used the stock isolators. rear fender is ~27" from ground and front is ~26.3". I cut the springs using a die grinder and a cut-off wheel bought from Wal-mart. I turned the springs with the bottom coil facing up, lined the wheel up with the end of the spring and cut straight down. The front was easy for me since it was identical to my 96. Just use a jack stand to hold the side up by the K-member, remove wheel, brake caliper, ABS sensor, (I placed the caliper and ABS sensor in the K-member towards the top of the strut) place jack under control arm and put slight pressure on it, remove lower strut bolts, sway bar end bolt, and lower the control arm down slowly. Sorry for all the commas. After it was fully extended down, I used a small pry bar to get the spring out of the control arm. There should be no pressure left in the springs so don't worry about it shooting across the floor. On install just remember to line up the spring the same way and when you're raising back up the control arm make sure you re-align the sway bar link while its raising. The rear is easy if you follow what everyone else says and remove exhaust hangers after muffler, lower shock bolts, and the 2 rear IRS bolts. Have your jack on the rear IRS bar and lower it slowly. Both rear springs fall out.

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
picture014.jpg
Stock springs, 1 full coil, stock isolators.

Cobra(ed) Up

Established Member
ModsAway said:
It is not recommended on progressive rate springs and I definately wouldn't do it on my Cobra. Do it right or don't do it at all... just my 0.02. Though that being said I wimped out on doing right (coilovers) so what do i know lol.

:nono: cutting bad.. no like cutting springs...

YGETV8

Established Member
I joined the "Redneck Hillbilly can't believe you're doing that to your $35,000 car" club today! Cut about 7/8 of a coil rear and ever so slightly less than 1 full coil front. Took her out for a nice long ride tonight and all I can say is that I love the looks and ride! Didn't notice ANY difference in ride quality.

I am sick of the "that's ghetto and/or cheap" comments. Let's see... I bought my car used with 2600 miles on it, bought my Predator used, ported my own TB/plenum/supercharger, got my wheels dirt cheap (second hand but unused), and now cut my springs to lower it. Guess that makes me the "ghetto king!" I am a family man of moderate means and if I want to modify this car, I HAVE to do it "on the cheap!"

I'll paraphrase a question that was brought up in a similar thread that is very relevant: since I installed a 2.8 pulley and ported my Eaton rather than bought a bigger blower, isn't THAT "ghetto?" We all know the Eaton wasn't designed to run that fast and may very well be detrimental to it's lifespan, but we still do it!

Unless you have done it and can give a legit opinion, don't knock it.

cdh027

Established Member
YGETV8 said:
I joined the "Redneck Hillbilly can't believe you're doing that to your $35,000 car" club today! Cut about 7/8 of a coil rear and ever so slightly less than 1 full coil front. Took her out for a nice long ride tonight and all I can say is that I love the looks and ride! Didn't notice ANY difference in ride quality.

I am sick of the "that's ghetto and/or cheap" comments. Let's see... I bought my car used with 2600 miles on it, bought my Predator used, ported my own TB/plenum/supercharger, got my wheels dirt cheap (second hand but unused), and now cut my springs to lower it. Guess that makes me the "ghetto king!" I am a family man of moderate means and if I want to modify this car, I HAVE to do it "on the cheap!"

I'll paraphrase a question that was brought up in a similar thread that is very relevant: since I installed a 2.8 pulley and ported my Eaton rather than bought a bigger blower, isn't THAT "ghetto?" We all know the Eaton wasn't designed to run that fast and may very well be detrimental to it's lifespan, but we still do it!

Unless you have done it and can give a legit opinion, don't knock it.

Now dont tease us by not posting pics !!!!!!! :beer:

04Torchvert

Established Member
Any verts do this. And can we? I know the spring rate is different. Any opinions? I think if done right this is not a bad idea.

cdh027

Established Member
04Torchvert said:
Any verts do this. And can we? I know the spring rate is different. Any opinions? I think if done right this is not a bad idea.

It has been done on verts, but I dont know if the amount removed needs to be the same ? Maybe another vert owner can chime in ? I plan on doing mine in the next 2 weeks.

YGETV8

Established Member
cdh027-2 said:
Now dont tease us by not posting pics !!!!!!! :beer:

Sorry... crappy weather and busy schedule! I'll get some! In the meantime, picture BigZach's Car (above) in Redfire and the rear almost level with the front and you've got my car! :)

Established Member
Just did mine last Saturday. I cut 1 full coil off each spring. I love it. Rides perfect and it's the height I want. (Free mod baby). I used stock Isolators and the job was nice and simple. I'll get some pic's up for you guys this weekend. Damn rain.

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
cdh027-2 said:
It has been done on verts, but I dont know if the amount removed needs to be the same ? Maybe another vert owner can chime in ? I plan on doing mine in the next 2 weeks.

Any info on this yet? Would there be a difference between an '01 and an '03?

Users who are viewing this thread