Little problem with new TF Expansion Tank

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I sent a Steve a PM about a little problem and he asked to post a thread to see what you guys says about it. The problem I am having is the tip of lower angled nipple is touching the right power steering hose. The one that goes to the ps reservoir. I can get the lower expansion tankhose on the nipple. But it puts the expansion tank in a bind on the mounting studs and almost pinches the expansion hose shut. I tried to adjust the expansion tank, the ps reservoir, and even tried to bend the ps mounting brackets with no luck. Only thing I can think to do is made raise the ps reservoir a little. Has anyone had this problem. The tank is great except for this little problem.

expansiontank85.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

expansiontank84.jpg

expansiontank82.jpg

expansiontank82.jpg

Last edited:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I think I may be able to reroute the hose. I'm gonna try to run it between the wiring harness and the ps hose. Only problem is that its gonna come close to the belt. I'll try it when I get home this evening.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hopefully those who have installed this tank will post up their own experiences with the install. I would bet it is something unique with your engine setup.

sassafras

Established Member
Hopefully those who have installed this tank will post up their own experiences with the install. I would bet it is something unique with your engine setup.

Nope, not really unique, I got in on the first batch of these tanks and mine was pretty much the same as the OP's. I just routed the hose up on it. The hose looks a little pinched but thus far it hasn't affected anything so I'm just going to let it be.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
It looks like there needed to be a little more r&d before those tanks were made to me. It might works for now but I'm sure a hose will be rubbed through in time

TRBO VNM

Looks to me like the nipple was incorrectly welded. It should be directed downward more like factory. That looks like it is facing more back towards the engine.

I am hoping others post up. I just received my tank and before I put it on would like to know if this is typical.

Ironhand

Banned
I would agree that the nipple was incorrectly welded on. If it wasnt that that is shitty at best.

The OP could cut the nipple in half just about and then slide the hose on with a hose clamp. That should give him some clearance and still have the hose seal.

venomus03

5 OH NO
Established Member
Yea I recieved my tank a Lil while ago, had to deal with the hose looking pinched due to placement. It seems to be flowing just fine though an I got mine on buy installing the hose before the tank was secured.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you guys who had the issue installing yours should have let me know so we could make adjustments to the tanks that kept coming out. we dont have a car to test fit on here any more. we made our prototype tank and it fit fine. we then put some tanks in some cars immediately for the big ford show and everything was fine. so we started cranking them out and no one said anything about it.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
based on suggestions from the first people who had them installed (EB/Chuy) i had my guy lengthen the outlet hose a little so it would be easier to get the hose on. EB said it was kind of a pita trying to get it on. so my guy added some length based on that and i guess this is the result lol. so we may just need to cut them back down again. that's an easy fix. just use a hacksaw to cut off however much of the outlet tube you need to (if you desire to do so). then just use an adjustable hose clamp to tighten it on there securely.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
for those of you who still have a tank here that is being etched, powder coated, polished etc.. PM me and let me know if you'd like us to have the outlet tubing cut down in length.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I was finally able to get it on. Kept working with the hose to get it close. It is rubbing against the ps hose but its not pinched that bad.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
good to hear OP. thanks for taking the extra effort to make it work. i apologize for the inconvenience. this little blip was a result of us listening to a customer's suggestion to alter the outlet tube a little to make it easier to mount those hose on to. we did it but unfortunately a little too much and i dont have an 03 to test fit these on any more. we're now making some quick little adjustments to all tanks that are still in our possession.

we're not the type to just make a product and leave it like that, be it bad or good. we're always taking feedback from customers and looking to continually improve our products to everyone's benefit. if anyone ever has any kind of issue with fit/finish/etc... please let me know so that we can correct it and address it for future customers. since we dont MASS produce these like canton, we're able to make alterations when needed.

and this was not done on ALL the tanks. maybe 10 of them (that shipped out). i called 04sleeper earlier about this since he personally installed a tank on emwun garand's car and kevin said there were zero issues installing that tank.

Last edited:

Kreep306

Established Member
I have a mass produced canton and it's garbage pm a price steve please on a tank I already have TF vents and ic res soon to have the rad tank and wheels. (high polished finish with black cap to match whipple)

OP glad to hear things worked out!

Huff035

Established Member
Yeah mine has the same issue. I got the hose on but it is pinched closed a little too much for my liking. It has worked without issue though, so I guess its ok...

TRBO VNM

Has anyone tried bending the ps res bracket?

Steve, got your message on FB. No clue right now when I will get it installed on my car. I have too many others to finish and doing it part time limits the time in the garage. I haven't started my car in a month, so right now mine is on back burner. Customers/friends come first.

Users who are viewing this thread