Little problem with new TF Expansion Tank

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
My buddy Rob (Blackout) stopped over & here's what we did to correct the minor problem. It appears the angle of the nipple has to change by about 10 deg +/- ...We ended up making to brackets & moved to PS reservoir up and over towards the passenger fender about 1-1/4" ..... Just a little engineering!! :D

Went well, here's a few pics....

The Angle:

1.jpg

Brackets:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

No kinks on the Hose!!! :)

7.jpg

Finished look:

8.jpg

9.jpg

gat0r

Established Member
i recv'd tanks from batch 1. i just visually checked mine this weekend, same issue.
while i am waiting on other parts, i will try to either cut the outlet down OR maybe try the bracket mentioned above.

TRBO VNM

My buddy Rob (Blackout) stopped over & here's what we did to correct the minor problem. It appears the angle of the nipple has to change by about 10 deg +/- ...We ended up making to brackets & moved to PS reservoir up and over towards the passenger fender about 1-1/4" ..... Just a little engineering!! :D

The Angle:

1.jpg

Finished look:

8.jpg

9.jpg

Actually, I would say the angle needs to be changed more than that. In the first pic, the tanks(stock and TF) are not level to each other. Level the stock tank and the TF nipple then needs to be brought down a decent amount.

Something else I would consider, if it is so close to the ps tank, why not move the nipple towards the driver side on the TF tank by a 1/4 inch or so?

Or even another option, the mounting tabs on the front and back could be shifted over a little as well. I am not interested in making brackets to relocate the ps tank.

The last 2 pics, the tanks are not level. Can you pull up on the engine side of the overflow tank to try and level out the two tanks? Will this cause another conflict with the hose?

Last edited:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Actually, I would say the angle needs to be changed more than that. In the first pic, the tanks(stock and TF) are not level to each other. Level the stock tank and the TF nipple then needs to be brought down a decent amount.

Something else I would consider, if it is so close to the ps tank, why not move the nipple towards the driver side on the TF tank by a 1/4 inch or so?

Or even another option, the mounting tabs on the front and back could be shifted over a little as well. I am not interested in making brackets to relocate the ps tank.

The last 2 pics, the tanks are not level. Can you pull up on the engine side of the overflow tank to try and level out the two tanks? Will this cause another conflict with the hose?

I agree with a lot of your points! :beer: ....as far as the tanks not being level, that appears to be the design, need to ask Steve.

I may play around with the IC tank bracket over the winter to tip the anglre back on that tank...and I might also be able to tip the drivers side tank, but don't forget, those mounting brackets can be seen & I'm not sure what will happen to the paint once you bend them :??:

TRBO VNM

It will be easier to bend the overflow tank instead of the intercooler tank. Steve advertised them as being designed so they are the same height and level. Some minor adjustment should not affect the powdercoat.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
It will be easier to bend the overflow tank instead of the intercooler tank. Steve advertised them as being designed so they are the same height and level. Some minor adjustment should not affect the powdercoat.

No way they'll be 100% level without major mods....I was unaware of this! The DSG has PFAB tanks with no problems....

TRBO VNM

Really? That makes no sense, it was part of Steve's selling point. I am curious as to what he has to say.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

The Angle:

1.jpg

Brackets:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

No kinks on the Hose!!! :)

7.jpg

Finished look:

8.jpg

9.jpg

for the $ nobody should need to modify anything

correct. which is why we are altering them on all the tanks we have left here.

the tanks dont sit in the exact same location. we moved the TF expansion tank back so the front edge of the tank will line up with the ice tank.

Really? That makes no sense, it was part of Steve's selling point. I am curious as to what he has to say.

if you go back and reread the thread, i already posted that the ice tank bracket needs to be bent slightly to make them match up. its already been done by a few people and is no big deal. do NOT try to bend the expansion tank to match. bend the ice tanks bracket. some people have said they did it while it was sitting in the car, installed. just pushing down on the back of the ice tank. it wont affect the powder coating if you do it this way.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Steve...I only was going to bend the IC tank...however, the IC drain plug is currently on the radiator hose on the rear of the tank, maybe the drain plug can be moved to the center outside part of the tank in the future...I'll get a pic up later today when I get home...Tim :beer:

TRBO VNM

if you go back and reread the thread, i already posted that the ice tank bracket needs to be bent slightly to make them match up. its already been done by a few people and is no big deal. do NOT try to bend the expansion tank to match. bend the ice tanks bracket. some people have said they did it while it was sitting in the car, installed. just pushing down on the back of the ice tank. it wont affect the powder coating if you do it this way.

Why?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Steve...I only was going to bend the IC tank...however, the IC drain plug is currently on the radiator hose on the rear of the tank, maybe the drain plug can be moved to the center outside part of the tank in the future...I'll get a pic up later today when I get home...Tim :beer:

we've already gone with the relocating the drain plug route and had issues with that. ive seen a few other people already do this with their ice tank and it worked just fine.

when you go to install it you'll see. well, i guess if you wanted to add spacers to the rear bracket to raise it up, but then it might not leave you enough thread to put the nut on. iirc, the bracket is already AT the top of the stud there.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Gotcha. I would just bend the support rod with it. the bracket that bolts to the core support for this is easy to bend. I thought you may have other reasons. thanks

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I'm glad I reread this thread so I know how to properly align these when I finally get them. Thanks

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
It seems that i may have run into another problem. When the car gets up to operating temp, all my fluid blows out of expansion tank. It is blowing it out from under the fill cap. I know i didn't have air in the lines because I sucked the fluid out with a pump. I have only driven the car twice since I put the tank on and it has done it both times. When I put the tank in, i just put the fluid i pumped out back in and didn't add any. It was about a inch from the top. The second time I filled to just below the first ridge you can see in the tank. It still blew it out. I'm gonna look into it a little deeper later on. Just throwing it out there and seeing if anyone else has run into this yet.

Users who are viewing this thread