Let's start a real fire storm - What was the pinnacle of the Mustang nameplate?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The 64 1/2-65. They created a whole new class of car that is still going 50 years later.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think the past few years we are living in the pinnacle. Boss 302's that could shred M3's and tear up road circuits. GT500's that have 662 HP from the factory and can do 200mph...and now a GT350 that can play with the best that Germany, Japan and even Italy throw out there. As much as I love the 03-04 Cobras, the past few years Ford has taken it to a whole new level. Now, if popularity and production numbers are the measuring sticks to be used then the late 60's will never be surpassed. Ford was selling 200k Mustangs a year. Now if they sell 40k it's a good year.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

You should really review mustang sales. Ford sold nearly 608k in 1966, over 1 million between 65-66. They sell an average of 10k a month right now. It is rare for ford to sell less than 100k a year. It's only happened 7 times ever. And a few of those were in the 90k range. Lowest was 46k.

The pinnacle is the current GT350. It is very fast in a straight line, and can out handle most cars on the road while maintaining all of the creature comforts and tech everyone wants with a comfortable ride.

cbj5259

Established Member
You should really review mustang sales. Ford sold nearly 608k in 1966, over 1 million between 65-66. They sell an average of 10k a month right now. It is rare for ford to sell less than 100k a year. It's only happened 7 times ever. And a few of those were in the 90k range. Lowest was 46k.

The pinnacle is the current GT350. It is very fast in a straight line, and can out handle most cars on the road while maintaining all of the creature comforts and tech everyone wants with a comfortable ride.
Yeah, my mistake. I was looking at figures for GT base Mustangs over the past few years and not total Mustang sales.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

pwrshft99

Established Member
03-04 Cobra

Exotic level horsepower at a reasonable price. The Mustang has always been the working man's sports car. Sure the Shelby's come with more power but not for $35k. Bang for your buck, I vote Terminator.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hands down, the Lee Iacocca Pinto inspired, fire breathing (and producing), corner-carving, rubber shredding, bundle of sexiness that was the epitome of the 1970's.

Waaay ahead of it's time. Equipped with the big 2.8 V6, 4 speed, and manual front discs, this car was unbeatable. Instant babe magnet that allowed room for threesomes via it's "extra fun" fold down rear seat.

1974%20Mustang%20II%20Folder-05.jpg

Equipped with the optional sun roof, your hourly friends could towel dry before you dropped them off at the next corner.

1974%20Ford%20Mustang%20II-16-17.jpg

The brothers and sisters out there that frequent 18 at the nearby private course have plenty of room for a bag or too while they practice their swing. Black golfers matter.

gnsdy9j4agvk37cmrncd.jpg

White people edition, here.

If swinging is a big part of your lifestyle, the Mustang II fits the bill here too. You know what they say about green Mustang II's...

1974_00042_01.jpg

Unmatched steering wheel skinniness and a mesmerizing clock for the passenger to look at while cruising in luxury/performance.

1974%20Ford%20Mustang%20II-18-19.jpg

Sophisticated women choose men with a great sense of style. Mustang II covers that demographic with the ever so sumptuous, Ghia.

1974%20Ford%20Mustang%20II-10-11.jpg

Ford doesn't discriminate or forget scary old dudes that like to get out on the town once in awhile either.

ford_mustang_ii_ghia_coupe_4.jpeg

Headed to Mustang Week? It's as if Ford predicted the future.

i080545.jpg

Mustang II. The car every prepubescent boy dreamed of. And for good reason.

Farrah-Mustang.jpg

Nothing else even comes close.

Last edited:

jacker1991

Established Member
Should have provided a definition of the word "pinnacle". Definitely generating a lot of issues.

Unless you meant something else altogether. Maybe you meant most influential or something.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Id say the pinnacle of mustang would be the 13-14 GT500 / GT350R. The two of these have different purposes but represent the very best Mustang has offered.

Branhammer

Established Member
That's a tough one but I'll throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned yet. This was my absolute dream car when I was a teenager and hands down one of the most balanced mustangs of all time:

2000 Cobra R

Never_Enough

Established Member
The pinnacle so far has to be the new GT350R. I'd rather own a classic Boss 429 car, though.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
my biased vote is 03/04 cobra because to me it blends just the right amount of new and old technology.

the newer cars have too much technology, chassis refinement, and nanny controls, but i would not want to go back to the carburators used in the older cars.

efi mustangs prior to the terminator did not make enough hp (except for the r cars), but radio and a/c are important for a street car.

Users who are viewing this thread