Let's see those REAL dogs...

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Waiting to hear back about the vet visit but it sounds like I'm probably going to get King after he's treated. My ex said he got hit by a car out front of her new bf's house and broke his leg it sounds. I'm sort of pissed about the whole ordeal that she's ditching King for this guy so she can move in with him, mainly because she adores King so I felt it's a shitty thing to do to just ditch him if she loves him so much, but I guess it's for his safety since this house is on a busy street. It feels shitty all around but I'll be happy to have King. I'm going to get the paperwork to make him an emotional support animal so he can always go with me no matter where I move.

20230616_194943.jpg

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Looks like he's coming to me for sure as long as he's okay. They've had him for 24hrs now and just did the x-ray not long ago. Waiting for the vet to get out of surgery to review the x-ray and go over the results.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Emergency room says $10k for surgery on two breaks on the right front leg or weekly visits to change bandages and make sure it doesn't get infected and is mending straight so there's much more risk that way. Told her to check with a regular vet as it should be significantly cheaper but I imagine at least $4-5k for surgery.

Anyone have input or experiences with this?

MG0h3

Established Member
Emergency room says $10k for surgery on two breaks on the right front leg or weekly visits to change bandages and make sure it doesn't get infected and is mending straight so there's much more risk that way. Told her to check with a regular vet as it should be significantly cheaper but I imagine at least $4-5k for surgery.

Anyone have input or experiences with this?

Is your EX paying for this?

ER visits are super expensive for dogs.

The type of break and where are what will give you a dog with a usable leg or not.

The vet should be able to give insight on this.

We’ve gotten recommendations to amputate and retire the dog from service before. This was on rears though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Is your EX paying for this?

ER visits are super expensive for dogs.

The type of break and where are what will give you a dog with a usable leg or not.

The vet should be able to give insight on this.

We’ve gotten recommendations to amputate and retire the dog from service before. This was on rears though.

Yeah, I'm not putting anything financial towards this as this was her and her new bf's fault for not watching him. My coworkers dog jumped out of her truck while moving and dislocated its shoulder and she's at risk of having to amputate because it isn't fully healing. I'm not sure on all the details or where the breaks are, but I can't afford to take the problem on unless everything that can be done has been done. Either the surgery gets done or she does the weekly visits, but he stays with her until it's done.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yeah, I'm not putting anything financial towards this as this was her and her new bf's fault for not watching him. My coworkers dog jumped out of her truck while moving and dislocated its shoulder and she's at risk of having to amputate because it isn't fully healing. I'm not sure on all the details or where the breaks are, but I can't afford to take the problem on unless everything that can be done has been done. Either the surgery gets done or she does the weekly visits, but he stays with her until it's done.

Hope they can fix the pup up and it works out.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Hope they can fix the pup up and it works out.

Me too. Been praying he will be okay. I hardly ever see him anymore but when I do get the chance he goes nuts and jumps on me like I'm his owner. He doesn't do that to anyone else but my ex so our bond is already close.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Damn. Poor guy.

She said he's been in pretty good spirits since getting home. I don't think going tripod if he has to will hold him back too much. It could be kind of funny though cause he will be able to come to work with me whenever and my coworker brings her two dogs often and her youngest is a Malinois pup that jumped out of her truck while moving and dislocated her rear leg. The dog still manages fine but it isn't quite healing fully so it's looking like she might lose one of her legs as well. At least he would have a friend that will look like him if he does end up losing it.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
King went to another vet appointment today and this vet has over 40 years in the profession. Said amputation can be done at any time, but with how well his bandage/cast was put on and how clean the two breaks in his arm are, he is suggesting the bandage stays on for another week as the bone fibers will start to reattach within a week, and the area it broke in has really good blood flow to speed up healing. Goes back in another week to have the bandage changed and the arm checked and then he'll probably have him go with that for a couple more weeks and do it again and so on until it's healed or it turns for the worst.

He just needs to be kept immobile and no activity at all which I guess he has been really good with. He's not picking at his bandages or trying to run and play or anything so I'm hopeful he'll be able to do what is needed to keep the leg and get it healed. I'm going to take him on the 5th as Rose is going out of town so he'll be with me from that point on. Excited to have my buddy around again.

IMG_20240325_162327.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
King went to another vet appointment today and this vet has over 40 years in the profession. Said amputation can be done at any time, but with how well his bandage/cast was put on and how clean the two breaks in his arm are, he is suggesting the bandage stays on for another week as the bone fibers will start to reattach within a week, and the area it broke in has really good blood flow to speed up healing. Goes back in another week to have the bandage changed and the arm checked and then he'll probably have him go with that for a couple more weeks and do it again and so on until it's healed or it turns for the worst.

1711495675537.gif

MassCobra

All set
Established Member

He just needs to be kept immobile and no activity at all which I guess he has been really good with. He's not picking at his bandages or trying to run and play or anything so I'm hopeful he'll be able to do what is needed to keep the leg and get it healed. I'm going to take him on the 5th as Rose is going out of town so he'll be with me from that point on. Excited to have my buddy around again.

View attachment 1834247

Hopefully it can be saved. Losing a front leg is a lot harder to navigate than losing a rear leg for a dog.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

View attachment 1834247

sounds like great news overall, hope it heals quickly!

Users who are viewing this thread