Let's see those REAL dogs...

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Damn bro, sorry to hear… I can definitely relate. Mine’s rear legs have also gotten weak (as well as his fronts, just not as much). There is also other issues.

Thought he was a gonner last week with a bad intestinal bleed. Thankfully the vet (antibiotics and probiotics) made him recover….

Hang in there! Know that he has had his best life next to a person like you.

Did they know the cause? One of my dogs is having some kind of intestinal ailment, bloody diarrhea and the vet couldn't tell me the cause without invasive testing. She's 14 and I don't want her to go through that. From what I've read her symptoms sound like a severe case of colitis but I don't know for sure.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Did they know the cause? One of my dogs is having some kind of intestinal ailment, bloody diarrhea and the vet couldn't tell me the cause without invasive testing. She's 14 and I don't want her to go through that. From what I've read her symptoms sound like a severe case of colitis but I don't know for sure.

In my case scenario, no etiology was found initially. My dog has had pretty bad health this past year (myriad of issues) and I have already spent thousands of dollars in vet bills, only to come out without a proper cause.

I could not justify a “full work up”, since I have already been contemplating euthanasia due to his poor quality of life.

Only testing that was done, was a fecal analysis (positive for hookworms) and a aspiration/cytology (Non cancerous cyst). This was learned, after the antibiotics/probiotics had already done the Lord’s work. Vet also said that the hookworms were not very likely to have been the issue which had me at the office.

Vet took a stab at it with:

Metronidazole 500mg Tablets.
Visbiome Vet Probiotics.

Maybe you can at least do a fecal culture? Not too expensive and can start there…

I wish you good luck with your pooch!

This is what was coming out of my guy, FYI:

2F83CFEB-AD66-49EC-9CD6-3C3DC073E4A3.jpeg
C6B36545-8C1A-4290-9574-10212AE906F6.jpeg
27406785-EBE4-470B-AD9E-449366B91692.jpeg

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Thanks man. I'm going to get her an appointment and ask them to treat it like colitis.

The last time I took her I brought them a poop sample and they never analyzed it. I was not happy although she didn't see the vet that has been seeing her her whole life.
Aside from this issue she does very well for 14. Mobility is good, eyes are good, a little hard of hearing but not too bad.

Good luck with your pup too.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks man. I'm going to get her an appointment and ask them to treat it like colitis.

The last time I took her I brought them a poop sample and they never analyzed it. I was not happy although she didn't see the vet that has been seeing her her whole life.
Aside from this issue she does very well for 14. Mobility is good, eyes are good, a little hard of hearing but not too bad.

Good luck with your pup too.

Make sure the sample is within 24hrs and keep it refrigerated.

Thanks and good luck!

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Gotta question to all the old dawg owners out there?

What are your end of days plans? This is hard and I am in Zero way trying to make light of it.

Will your dogo pass in its sleep or do plan on anesthesia?

For my two Boxers I lost over the past 3 years, I had a vet with the company Lap of Love come to our home and do it while they laid down on a blanket in a safe space. As a kid I remember going to the vet's office and putting our family dog down and it's just awkward mourning your dog while having the staff wait for you to finish. The vet at home is a lot more peaceful and with more dignity I think. As far as knowing when the time is right, they will tell you. It'll be written all over their face asking you for help. They'll go hide in corners and places you've never seen them go, they'll turn away food and treats, their breathing will change, and they'll just give up wanting to move- even if you know their mind is sharp.

For cremation, I took them to a pet crematorium that offered private cremations. It allowed us to stay there while it was performed and actually lowered them into the furnace myself since I didn't want someone just tossing him in. After reading how most pet cremations are done communally and that you are really getting your dog's ashes and someone else's, I went the route I did.

LS WUT

Established Member

What are your end of days plans? This is hard and I am in Zero way trying to make light of it.

I’ve made arrangements with a place In Tampa for when I make the final call. They will do an at home care. She will be put to rest and she will be cremated. They were super helpful, and understanding.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

There are several options available. Vets can actually come home and administer the meds that put him to sleep. No pain. They just stop living. Kinda like they fell asleep.

You can do it at the office as well, if you are up for that “task”.

It is said to be painless. Very similar to getting anesthesia…

Fat Boss

Established Member

I've brought my dog's to the vet the past two times. One last ride in the truck. I held them face to face telling them they're a good dog over and over as the vet does the injection. One I buried under an old oak tree, and the other I had cremated and he sits in the family room on the TV stand. I still talk to him sometimes.

Daisy Duke - The super water dog. She could swim for hours.

80-594d7951_a709aace7fd672f3b875fc99b1bc9d48c0b0fcb9.jpg

Smokie Dog - 1% lazy cattle dog. No leash was needed. Was 7 when he got prostate cancer. Here he was with his gf Chubbs.

80-img950695_201_zpschfmsueg_34e810a7dcae1389e003cf366ce3e4305c13abc1.jpg

ajaf1656

Established Member
I didn't realize that. He is not neutered either. So it is like the beta dogs revenge?

I actually told a lady who ask why he wasn't neutered. Yes, first question in my head was why. Are hating on my dogs nuts.

I told her I am against male genitalia mutilation! Calm as cat with a bowl of warm milk.
Yeah. They can smell the pheromones or something and get all bent out of shape over it. My boxer growing up was intact, but that was before dog parks were really a thing. We'd just go down to the bayou if I wanted to let him run off leash.

I used to love it when people would bother me about my boxer having a docked tail and cropped ears while telling me I should have had their testicles chopped off for no good reason.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've brought my dog's to the vet the past two times. One last ride in the truck. I held them face to face telling them they're a good dog over and over as the vet does the injection. One I buried under an old oak tree, and the other I had cremated and he sits in the family room on the TV stand. I still talk to him sometimes.

Daisy Duke - The super water dog. She could swim for hours.

80-594d7951_a709aace7fd672f3b875fc99b1bc9d48c0b0fcb9.jpg

Smokie Dog - 1% lazy cattle dog. No leash was needed. Was 7 when he got prostate cancer. Here he was with his gf Chubbs.

80-img950695_201_zpschfmsueg_34e810a7dcae1389e003cf366ce3e4305c13abc1.jpg
Y'all making me cry.
I have lost several dogs over the years. 2 to thinking they could pop a tire on trucks moving thru the trails at 30mph.

One to rabies. His name was brownie though he was so black he stood out at night. I think my dad was a racist looking back and yelling for brownie with a smile on his face.

A few old age but never used a vet. The vet thing with the kids might be the way we go with these weirdo dogoes this time around.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Yeah, @ZYBORG definitely some similarities. Although my dogs are even more bloody and sometimes it's pink, sometimes bright red, sometime almost purple and sometimes none at all.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, @ZYBORG definitely some similarities. Although my dogs are even more bloody and sometimes it's pink, sometimes bright red, sometime almost purple and sometimes none at all.
mine actually was the same…. Sometimes very slimy / mucus filled…. Some times pink, bright red or even purple with chunks…..

Whatever it was, it cleared right up….

Recon

Established Member
5dcca042b93ad799d3e385e46285f490.jpg

Update:
Little girl had her best day today since the surgery. She’s not a fan of the cone whatsoever. And it was effecting her eating and drinking, and her mood. I decided, for her sake, that I would watch her so she didn’t have to wear the cone. When I’m home she doesn’t wear it, unless it’s bedtime. As of yesterday we got the results back from the tumor, it’s not cancer! The munchkin has one more week left then the stitches come out. She has labor somewhat to use the bathroom but it’s most likely because of the stitches being so close to the area. I mentioned her behavior changes to the doctor and we have some meds to help with using the bathroom. And it seems a lot of this could be from the cone. This dog does not like anything on her body. Only time she wears a collar is to the groomers and the vet, due to rules of those locations. And even then she’s scratching at it and wanting me to take it off. Anyway, she’s doing a lot better today compared to the last week. The vet suggested maybe a yearly inspection of her to keep an eye on her other spots. Which we’re going to do.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Update:
Little girl had her best day today since the surgery. She’s not a fan of the cone whatsoever. And it was effecting her eating and drinking, and her mood. I decided, for her sake, that I would watch her so she didn’t have to wear the cone. When I’m home she doesn’t wear it, unless it’s bedtime. As of yesterday we got the results back from the tumor, it’s not cancer! The munchkin has one more week left then the stitches come out. She has labor somewhat to use the bathroom but it’s most likely because of the stitches being so close to the area. I mentioned her behavior changes to the doctor and we have some meds to help with using the bathroom. And it seems a lot of this could be from the cone. This dog does not like anything on her body. Only time she wears a collar is to the groomers and the vet, due to rules of those locations. And even then she’s scratching at it and wanting me to take it off. Anyway, she’s doing a lot better today compared to the last week. The vet suggested maybe a yearly inspection of her to keep an eye on her other spots. Which we’re going to do.

Glad it’s not the c word! Hopefully she’ll be back to good in a few days

They were testing a lump on my girls leg that opened up and, thankful they could test it on site and all good

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

Update:

Great news man.
AWESOME!

Users who are viewing this thread