Let my 15 year old drive my CO mach

Woody6799

Established Member
lol love the video. I can hear you cringing. Dont hit the curb! Dont hit the barrel! and then you groan over the burning clutch lol I love it.

Lycosa

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra and I'm 18. Got it in 2013. I think it's cool to see young kids like me who share a passion for mustangs and the parents who support them.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Man he was getting so close to those curbs, I don't know that I would have been so calm. Haha. Fun video. Car sounds fantastic. :thumbsup:

OhIIICobra

Established Member
My Nephew was the first and last kid I'll ever help with anything car related. I tried to teach him about small engines, cars, and guy stuff in general since his POS dad was an absentee father and his mom too for that matter. He flat out didn't give a shit. Tried to teach him about firearms, fishing, hunting...same story.

My mom who raised him asked me to take him car shopping when he turned 16. I was excited, I went to pick the little shit up on a Saturday and he "was too tired". Too many kids today are lethargic apathetic spoiled brats. We are so screwed when they will be running the show (deeper into the ground).

Lycosa

Established Member
My Nephew was the first and last kid I'll ever help with anything car related. I tried to teach him about small engines, cars, and guy stuff in general since his POS dad was an absentee father and his mom too for that matter. He flat out didn't give a shit. Tried to teach him about firearms, fishing, hunting...same story.

My mom who raised him asked me to take him car shopping when he turned 16. I was excited, I went to pick the little shit up on a Saturday and he "was too tired". Too many kids today are lethargic apathetic spoiled brats. We are so screwed when they will be running the show (deeper into the ground).

I wish it was a different situation with my generation.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
Oh memories.......being involved with cars my whole life, my dad got me started early. I would drive on his lap(just steering) from about 6yrs old...when i was 9 he had me drive a manual for the first time. It was a Black 1961 fuel injected corvette. Talk about a real easy car to learn on.......not so much.

After i was about 12 I had free reign of what ever cars he brought home.....i had to keep the cars on our property of course....I do have to say a couple might have made it on to actual roads before i was 16.

Either way it was a great learning experience on how drive many types of cars. Big blocks, small blocks, fords, chevs, mopars, stick, auto. They all drive different and all have their little quirks.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Yup!
Being 22 I remember all those things with my father!

It's a lot of fun! First car I drove was his '93 Grand Marquis.

First stick I drove was his '88 T-bird with 347" stroker and a cheramic clutch.
That, even today still, is a very difficult car to drive. Back then... I honestly don't know how I did it, but I did.

Last edited:

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
Love the beginning of the video where your son was saying "dad, dad, everyone is watching us and he get all embarrassed. Reminds me of my oldest. lol

BrianC_12

Established Member
Cool vid. I busted out laughing when he was going straight for the barrel. I actually learned how to drive a stick on a co mach 1 too

Skrapmetal

Established Member
lol, awesome.

I didn't get the nice drive around a parking lot. I got handed the keys to a 4cyl 5spd S10 and told "get to school, you're going to be late".

I'm self-made, yo.

flattrack53

Established Member
The first stick shift car I got to drive was a 67 427/435 vette. As long as you can teach the kid respect, he will be fine.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
This thread is great but scary at the same time. I thought I was the only one with young family members that seem out of touch with reality. I have twin nephews that are now old enough to have a drivers license but have no interest at all in getting them. Its easier to get mom and dad to drive them around. They would rather play XBOX online all day than go and actually do something. They have never worked even odd jobs and I dont think they realize there is life after high school. When you are around them you are left thinking 'where is the motivation, the drive or desire to do ANYTHING with their lives?!'

That being said I learned to drive with my Uncle at 14 in a 79 f150 4spd. This truck was drug out of the woods and had a 351M that somehow still ran ok but would kill all mosquitoes in a 3 mile radius. It had completely bald tires, a 5 gallon boat fuel tank and we took it out in a (harvested) sorghum field and I learned how to do power slides and 'drifting' before how to look twice at a stop sign haha. Great way to learn but may have had a small part in me getting my license suspended at 17.

I also remember countless times riding with my dad in his 83 5.0 4bbl Mustang doing stupid stuff. Love growing up like that and cant wait to pass on the torch!

mnewxcv

Established Member
that video has it all.

1. awkwardly filming of son.
2. embaressed son not wanting to be filmed.
3. dad who cares enough about his son to let him drive the car he loves.
4. son not knowing how to drive, stalling, rough shift to 2nd, almost hitting curb and barrel.
5. dad not being able to take anymore and having to take a break lol
6. my favorite though, son saying "but I want to go again!" after all that. thats what its all for.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Great thread....all of it rings true, the good and the bad...I was fortunate to grow up in a family that loved cars, older cousins and uncles always had hot rods, mostly mustangs and camaros. My grandfather was teaching me how to drive his 71 F100 w/three on the tree when I was 11-12. I was buying MM&FF mags and bugging the old man to take me to car dealerships by the 5th grade! I had an unhealthy obsession with mustangs in particular, always knew what it was when heard one, this really annoyed my mom, because it would usually be in a parking lot and I would stop walking to watch it drive by etc. My first mustang was a used 94GT that I saved up for and was able to buy right out of HS. I think I slept in that car the 1st few nights I had it :D

I have two little girls now, ages 3 and 9. I really don't now how I am going to handle them driving, on one hand I want them to have a mustang, but on the other I would really like to put them in the biggest lane barge I can find. They both love cars too and always want to ride in the Mustang or Camaro. I think the 3 year old is going to be my hell raiser, she is car crazy, plays with hot wheels and in general seems to be a lot like I was at that age.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't hit the curb! Don' hit the barrel! LOL. That brought back a lot of memories of me teaching my own son how to drive a stick. I think your son did pretty well. Now he'll just keep getting better with experience. Take him out often for practice.

odom4V

Established Member
I think these days it's college where most of the hot rodders come into their own. I'm 25 and all anyone wanted at my high school was a jacked up 4x4. Since I've been in college I've noticed a lot more students with mustangs and street strucks and the like. Could be geography related too though. Small southern towns in my area.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I think these days it's college where most of the hot rodders come into their own. I'm 25 and all anyone wanted at my high school was a jacked up 4x4. Since I've been in college I've noticed a lot more students with mustangs and street strucks and the like. Could be geography related too though. Small southern towns in my area.

I graduated high school last year, I was the ONLY kid wanting a car and to race. The rest, all lifted trucks. Granted, I could see that because of the town I am in but still my entire family is into hunting yet I still ended up getting a car and not some lifted slow ass truck. I just got my 5.0 last year a month before I turned 19, all of my friends always say "Should have bought a truck", until they ride in it and see how much fun it is lol

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Learned how to drive a stick/car in my Dad's Datsun B210. From a young age he would let me shift from the passenger seat while he used

the clutch. Took my DL test in it as well. But I was lucky to have a older buddy with a 82 5.0 Capri. He let me drive it at night sometimes in

low traffic area's. Most fun was Blue River rd. It is a fun twisty road that most South Kansas City boys probably know about.

My boy is 9 and I'm excited and and a little nervous about when we start our learning to drive a stick process.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I feel very fortunate. I grew up in a family with lots of mustangs, dirt bikes, and sport quads. Having ridden dirt bikes and quads, it was pretty easy for me to learn stick shift in a car.

I have a little one on the way, and whether it be a boy or girl they have no choice in whether or not they like cars lol. The little parasite is gonna be racing go-karts and riding quads and stuff lol.

Users who are viewing this thread