Let my 15 year old drive my CO mach

Super000Sonic

Established Member
Took my son out to practice driving a stick shift. We had some great family fun ! My son likes mustangs but no where near as much as I did at his age. I have also noticed that very few teens at his high school have them, not even older more affordable ones. There are a few six cylinders but nothing to speak of. I think with social media having a cool car in high school is not as important to stay connected with other kids as it was in say the 80's. The mustang 5.0 was a staple at my high school in 89.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dFro0XdDKoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Have a friend trying to decide on a car for his son that's about to be 16 and his son's biggest input so far is that he want's something that get's good gas mileage :dw:

Stupid kids these days.

Last edited:

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
LOL. My dad taught me how to drive stick in his Cobra (at the time) when I was 15. Only stalled once lol. I was quick to push the clutch back in if I thought I was going to stall out.

TClark22

Established Member
Have a friend trying to decide on a car for his son that's about to 16 and his son's biggest input so far is that he want's something that get's good gas mileage :dw:

Stupid kids these day.

All I wanted was a Mustang since I even thought about cars. lol I graduated high school in 07 and having a nice car was important to me. Cars were a status symbol, at least in my eyes it was...at my high school parents would buy their dumbass kids new Mercedes, range rovers, etc...

Good gas mileage...did you slap him around a bit? Knock some sense into the boy! (totally joking of course)

I only started caring about gas mileage when I graduated college and started driving to work...then the loud ass mustang that got 18mpg at best needed to be retired from daily duty.

I learned to drive manual on my buddies 01 GT back in high school.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Have a friend trying to decide on a car for his son that's about to 16 and his son's biggest input so far is that he want's something that get's good gas mileage :dw:

Stupid kids these day.

Sounds like he is smarter than we were in our day.

Im sure if I went to HS and gas was $3-3.50/gal id not give a shit about power or fun either.....

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
All I wanted was a Mustang since I even thought about cars. lol I graduated high school in 07 and having a nice car was important to me. Cars were a status symbol, at least in my eyes it was...at my high school parents would buy their dumbass kids new Mercedes, range rovers, etc...

Good gas mileage...did you slap him around a bit? Knock some sense into the boy! (totally joking of course)

I only started caring about gas mileage when I graduated college and started driving to work...then the loud ass mustang that got 18mpg at best needed to be retired from daily duty.

I learned to drive manual on my buddies 01 GT back in high school.

Yup haha. Ever since I got into cars I wanted a Mustang. Had my 03 as my first car, modded it a little, everyone in the school loved or hated it. Mostly hated because they all swang from Chevy's nutsack. I had no intention on getting good gas mileage, my car got 25ish on the highway and shitty in the city but I could care less.

Dad taught me how to drive stick in my 2v, knew after that I would own a manual for every sports car I own.

Last edited:

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Ooh the memory's, I learned the same way in my dads 04 black Mach 1. Thought I was never going to learn how to drive a stick shift. Now I'm pull 1.4 60fts out of the same car hahaha

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I remember those days with my uncle when I was 15 lol he taught me how to drive my Cobra when he owned it around a closed atv dealership's parking lot.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Sounds like he is smarter than we were in our day.

Im sure if I went to HS and gas was $3-3.50/gal id not give a shit about power or fun either.....

True true. When I got my license gas was about $1 a gallon. $10 and I could cruise all weekend in my turbo 4 banger. I was actually more concerned with my Stereo than performance for the first couple of years I had a car. This kid isn't to the point of wanting a Prius to save the environment or anything, I just think, as someone else said, he and his friends just aren't into the cars they drive. Definitely not something I can relate to.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
All 3 of my kids can drive a stick, but my wife had to teach them. Me driving a big truck for almost 2 million miles, I was to critical, lol.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
For my first vehicle I wanted/ needed a truck so I could still mow lawns on the side of my regular job. I honestly would not have the career that I do had I owned a Mustang in high school. I bought my Mustang when I was 19 and haven't looked back since!

mcaligiuri

Established Member
This reminds me of the scene in 21 jump street where they I first go to high school

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
This is a smart way to teach someone stick. Learn on something a little more difficult/intimidating initially and you can drive almost anything later on.

Last edited:

Super000Sonic

Established Member
This is a smart way to teach someone stick. Learn on something a little more difficult/intimidating initially and you can drive almost anything later on.

My thoughts exactly. I see so many teens with their face smashed in an iphone. I try to keep him busy learning actual, practical skills.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member

First thing my father did after teaching me the basics, he took me to a road behind my house which has 0 traffic on the weekends. He parked the car half way up the hill and let me go. It took me a few trys to not get it to stall ( I was scared to let it roll backwards) but after a short amount of time I was ready to drive the car anywhere.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
My nephew is turning 17 next month and has had a car in the garage with his name on it since he turned 16.... He still has his permit only, he has only been out to practice driving 3 times. He flat out doesn't care to. I give my brother crap about it all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread