Lake Bonneville and The Great Salt Lake

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Recently visited Antelope Island State Park, The Great Salt Lake, and Lake Bonneville. All are stunningly beautiful.
Well, so is the state of Utah.

Pic from east side of Antelope Island State Park looking east. As all pics go, they just don’t/can’t do it justice.

IMG_4625.jpeg

Here’s 9 pics from a video presentation at the Vistors Center on Antelope Island State Park about the History of Lake Bonneville.

To help kinda define the geography keep in mind that, “The Great Salt Lake is a shallow, salty remnant of ancient Lake Bonneville.”

IMG_4610.jpeg
IMG_4611.jpeg
IMG_4612.jpeg
IMG_4613.jpeg
IMG_4614.jpeg
IMG_4615.jpeg
IMG_4616.jpeg
IMG_4617.jpeg
IMG_4618.jpeg

Not sure how accurate the last pic is of Lake Bonneville’s size today.
The attendant at the visitors center did say that the water level in Lake Bonneville has risen over the past couple years because of increased rain/snowfall.

Besides pointing out the stunning beauty of this area, I also wanted to show that God didn’t just make earth, and everything stopped changing and evolving.

Mother Earth is just doing Mother Earth stuff, so is Lake Bonneville.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Awesome and beautiful country. I've never been there, but would love to see Lake Bonneville some day. When I saw the glass with the brine shrimp, it took me back to when I was a young kid amazed at the "sea monkeys" you found for sale in magazines, comic books, etc. They were brine shrimp. It was fun to watch them grow. We did a lot of simple stuff like that back in the day.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Awesome and beautiful country. I've never been there, but would love to see Lake Bonneville some day. When I saw the glass with the brine shrimp, it took me back to when I was a young kid amazed at the "sea monkeys" you found for sale in magazines, comic books, etc. They were brine shrimp. It was fun to watch them grow. We did a lot of simple stuff like that back in the day.

Bob, ya gotta go. Fly into Salt Lake, travel to Antelope Island State Park, Hill Air Force Museum, Bonneville Salt Flats, Park City, then continue north up the Wasatch Range.

WOW! Thanks!

Very cool story of an amazing Kiwi! The 2006, 127 minute movie about Burt, “The World’s Fastest Indian” is included on Amazon Prime right now for free too!

I’ll be watching it!

Fat Boss

Established Member
Its on my list of events to go see. Its on my bucket list to build and participate in the event

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Good luck with the effort! A friend of mine is building an under 250cc motorcycle he's going to bring to Bonneville.

Bob, ya gotta go. Fly into Salt Lake, travel to Antelope Island State Park, Hill Air Force Museum, Bonneville Salt Flats, Park City, then continue north up the Wasatch Range.

WOW! Thanks!

Very cool story of an amazing Kiwi! The 2006, 127 minute movie about Burt, “The World’s Fastest Indian” is included on Amazon Prime right now for free too!

I’ll be watching it!

Are you saying you've never watched it? Great flick.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Good luck with the effort! A friend of mine is building an under 250cc motorcycle he's going to bring to Bonneville.

Are you saying you've never watched it? Great flick.

Yup, I’ve never watched it. Sadly, never heard of Burt Munro.

Never heard of Ab Jenkin’s Pierce Arrow, and Mormon Meteor lll, or Malcolm Campbell’s Blue Bird, until I started watching the “Boys of Bonneville” - lol. Another documentary on Bonneville included on Prime.

The Mormon Meteor lll.

1711109294405.jpeg

Thanks again. Fascinating history to learn and appreciate.

Last edited:

Fat Boss

Established Member
Yup, I’ve never watched it. Sadly, never heard of Burt Munro.

Never heard of Ab Jenkin’s Pierce Arrow, and Mormon Meteor lll, or Malcolm Campbell’s Blue Bird, until I started watching the “Boys of Bonneville” - lol. Another documentary on Bonneville included on Prime.

The Mormon Meteor lll.

View attachment 1833606

Thanks again. Fascinating history to learn and appreciate.

Check back in after you watch it. I heard about it from my folks who saw it in the theater.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Check back in after you watch it. I heard about it from my folks who saw it in the theater.

Wife and I watched, The World’s Fastest Indian, last night. It’s excellent, 5/5 stars.

Do you have a lemon tree? If you do, pee on it in Burt’s honor. That’s all I’ll say.

Both them, The World’s Fastest Indian, and the Boys Of Bonneville are excellent. The former is a movie, whereas the later is a documentary. Both are currently freebies on amazon prime.

railroad

Established Member
While on a vacationing, road trip with another couple, we stopped at a Quik Mart.
The sign at the corner said, Bonneville Salt Flats Track or something like that.
I was the only one interested and the others agreed to make the short turn, so I could say, I have been there.
As we read the history on the sign and gazed at the flats and surrounding, a second car pulled up. Two middle weight guys got out and sorta gave us the once over.
As we walked out from behind the SUV, they gave us a up and down check out and left.
We did not have a good feeling about the situation and I, often wonder, did we dodge a bad situation.
I cannot remember, if I packed a firearm back then. We did have some size on them.
My buddy is about 6' 2", 250 lbs. I am just 5' 11", 220.
The wives were useless for defensive purposes.
My question, is did the quick mart people, set us up, or is the location a place for deals or robberies? This was about 14 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread