Kooks Twin Turbo

Nuar

Established Member
while expensive as hell im sure that it is a pretty nice kit.

No doubt about that! It has top notch components. But who in the right mind is going to pay that price, especially since the turbos might need upgrading. Not to mention the extra money could go to MMR for one of their short block options...
I just don't see this kit selling at the current price.

Voltwings

Established Member
i come from the turbo 4 cylinder world and have personally ran and tuned a 3071 on my mazdaspeed3. keep in mind, a coyote is a 5L engine, each of these turbos is seeing 2.5L of displacement, and even on my 2.3 there was virtually no lag with a .72 AR. I have also tuned a good friend of mines 6262 and there was a TON of lag even with a smaller .63 AR, granted we had very little control over the cams compared to the Coyote, but a 30r is still a drastic increase in spool vs a 6262.

This is going to translate into an AWESOME power band and quick response the second you touch the throttle. That being said, the gt3071r is rated at like 48 lbs/min, and most people were seeing about 450 whp on our platform at 26-28 psi. Granted there are SEVERAL other variables, but lets just say roughly doubling that will give us the 900-1000 or so rwhp people are estimating. Now, the GTx3071 however flows like 56 or 57 lbs/min, and we have people making over 500 whp at 26-28 psi with those (again, 2.3L redlinging at 7k), so lets say roughly doubling that, 1000-1100 is not too unreasonable. Granted, the coyote heads flow significantly better than the Ms3, so i imagine that combined with the proper AR, most people wont need to go past mid teens to see great power.

the gtx3071 outflows the standard gt3076 by 1 lb/min, so its not worth the lag going with the standard 3076. The gtx3576 flows 64 lbs/min and spools the same as the gtx3076, so theres again no sense in wasting time with the 3076 model. I had a gtx3576 on my mazda after i sold my 3071, and i'll admit they make awesome power and spool pretty decent, but they're flirting with the line of what i would call a fun, responsive DD turbo... twin gtx3071's would be my bet with this kit.

... that being said, i have no intention of ever buying this kit, just trying to share some personal experience with these turbos.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
No doubt about that! It has top notch components. But who in the right mind is going to pay that price, especially since the turbos might need upgrading. Not to mention the extra money could go to MMR for one of their short block options...
I just don't see this kit selling at the current price.

for the average guy yes, that's what I always say, you could have a Paxton / mmr block / fuel system and be making a ton of power, it's all what you want

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Does Hellion use 304 Stainless? Their site only says "100% Stainless" which makes me think it's 409.

Hellion uses T439 Stainless Steel made by Bassani

On a side note, this is a nice kit! Kooks approached us a long time ago about it.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I thought Stainless Works makes their headers?

No sir they do not. Have always used Bassani. The headers will have a Bx cutout in the header flange too which is their logo.

T439 has a higher Chromium content than T409 which will offer a improved corrosion resistance.

Below is a list of different types of Stainless Steel and explains the difference:

(Chromium content 10.50 min, 11.70 max.) A stabilized FERRITIC stainless steel widely used where oxidation and corrosion protection needs to exceed that of carbon and some carbon coated steels. Available in Hot Rolled Annealed and Pickled #1 (HRAP) and Cold Rolled 2B or 2D surface finishes. End users include manufacturers of Automotive, Power Generation, Agricultural, Woodstove and Casket components. Gauges range from .006″ to 1.00″.

(Chromium content 17.0 min, 19.O max.) A stabilized FERRITIC stainless steel with a higher Chromium content than T409 which offers improved corrosion resistance. Available in Cold Rolled 2B or 2D surface finishes. End users include manufacturers of Automotive Exhaust components. Gauges range from .015, to .187. 439 is available in dual-stabilized or titanium-only stabilized versions of which either version performs equally in all environments.

18 Cr-Cb Stainless Steel
(Chromium content 17.5 min, 19.5 max) A stabilized FERRITIC stainless steel stabilized with both titanium and columbium. Offers higher oxidation resistance, improved creep resistance and moderate formability. Typical MAX thickness .098″/2.5mm. End users include manufacturers of automotive, heat exchanger and tubing components.

409 ULTRA FORM® SS
Is an AK Steel proprietary grade developed for applications needing oxidation and corrosion resistance and for better formability of complex shapes.

439 ULTRA FORM® SS

Is an AK Steel proprietary grade developed for applications needing oxidation and corrosion resistance and for better formability of complex shapes.

(Chromium content 17.5 min, 19.5 max) A stabilized FERRITIC stainless steel stabilized with both titanium and columbium. Offers higher oxidation resistance, improved creep resistance and moderate formability. Typical MAX thickness .098″/2.5mm. End users include manufacturers of automotive, heat exchanger and tubing components.

409 Ni (Nickel Modified)

Nickel Modified – Contains Nickel (Ni) to enhance toughness during fabrication. Found in thicknesses greater than .120″/3.05mm.

439 Aluminized
Coated with Type 1 hot dip aluminum coating.

409 AC (Aluminized)
Includes Type 1 hot dip aluminum coating provides extended life and additional resistance to automotive muffler condensation and road salt.

409-30
Dual stabilized with Titanium and Columbium (Cb) or Niobium (Nb).

409L
Same as T409. Asian stainless mills include the “L” designation on their certification paperwork.

poof100

Established Member
Nice looking kit but I'll stick with a Single. I do want the Headers from this kit though! :rockon:

MRSUPRA

Established Member
i come from the turbo 4 cylinder world and have personally ran and tuned a 3071 on my mazdaspeed3. keep in mind, a coyote is a 5L engine, each of these turbos is seeing 2.5L of displacement, and even on my 2.3 there was virtually no lag with a .72 AR. I have also tuned a good friend of mines 6262 and there was a TON of lag even with a smaller .63 AR, granted we had very little control over the cams compared to the Coyote, but a 30r is still a drastic increase in spool vs a 6262.

This is going to translate into an AWESOME power band and quick response the second you touch the throttle. That being said, the gt3071r is rated at like 48 lbs/min, and most people were seeing about 450 whp on our platform at 26-28 psi. Granted there are SEVERAL other variables, but lets just say roughly doubling that will give us the 900-1000 or so rwhp people are estimating. Now, the GTx3071 however flows like 56 or 57 lbs/min, and we have people making over 500 whp at 26-28 psi with those (again, 2.3L redlinging at 7k), so lets say roughly doubling that, 1000-1100 is not too unreasonable. Granted, the coyote heads flow significantly better than the Ms3, so i imagine that combined with the proper AR, most people wont need to go past mid teens to see great power.

the gtx3071 outflows the standard gt3076 by 1 lb/min, so its not worth the lag going with the standard 3076. The gtx3576 flows 64 lbs/min and spools the same as the gtx3076, so theres again no sense in wasting time with the 3076 model. I had a gtx3576 on my mazda after i sold my 3071, and i'll admit they make awesome power and spool pretty decent, but they're flirting with the line of what i would call a fun, responsive DD turbo... twin gtx3071's would be my bet with this kit.

... that being said, i have no intention of ever buying this kit, just trying to share some personal experience with these turbos.

I hear what you're saying. It's just hard to compare to a V8 with twice the cubic inches. I've seen people push over 800rwhp with a single 6266 on some 4 cylinders with good flowing heads. But that doesn't mean your going to get 1600rwhp on a mustang with 2 of them.

But good data either way. And someone said they already made 980whp with this kit on a MD dyno, so that seems pretty good. Although I would like to see more info on the setup and dyno.

stretchb

Established Member
Well yeah lol.
Thats how i look at them. Hellion was the first to the punch as far as i know, and all the kits place the turbo the same way in the engine bay it seems.
Granted im a noob when it comes to turbos :p

on3 turbos are place different.

BMR Tech

So many Coyote Turbo kits! The days of only having a few options is long gone!

And just think, people with exotic / super cars are jealous of an $11K price tag for a Turbo Kit - that is basically the same as this, just different pipe routing.

Nuar

Established Member
exotic/super cars are use to paying ridiculous price tags though ;)

Nothing can touch the affordability of beefcake's paxton special it seems!

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I highly doubt those GT30Rs are going to make 1200whp. Maybe to the crank.

Seems like quality parts... not sure i care for the wastegate and dump tube placement.
Also $10k price.... heck no.

I have a little garrett experience too and the only turbos I would accept in the line up are the 3582's to make the power levels they are claiming with out straining the snails. however many people talk on precision occasionally but i wonder why big companies like AMS and other big names in turbo run them primarily.

Nice kit but I would say kits are now coming out a bit late to the party as the the scene is still there but the masses are moving toward the new stang. I still feel the 11-14 is best overall for racers looking to mod.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I have a little garrett experience too and the only turbos I would accept in the line up are the 3582's to make the power levels they are claiming with out straining the snails. however many people talk on precision occasionally but i wonder why big companies like AMS and other big names in turbo run them primarily.

Nice kit but I would say kits are now coming out a bit late to the party as the the scene is still there but the masses are moving toward the new stang. I still feel the 11-14 is best overall for racers looking to mod.

I couldn't agree with you anymore. I had a GT35R on my honda and it took a shit. My buddy locally has twin 60s (same turbos as offered on this kit i believe) and one took a shit shortly after the other one. I do not believe Garrett is any better than Precision... all of them fail here and there...

Users who are viewing this thread