Killer Chiller IAT2 Temps after WOT... Does it really work?

GTpower01

Established Member
Hey guys...

So I've been debating on switching over to a Killer Chiller 03 Cobra Drag Kit for the street. I obviously know the water is pretty cold and the Killer Chiller is good at keeping the fluid temps down. However, what are all of your air temps after WOT? Specifically, what are your Charge Temps aka IAT2's? Everyone always talks about the water being cold, but I need to have proof the IAT2's are low too. Also, is this modification worth the money as I hear from others it is just a waste of time and in the end, you have a tank of hot water after a few passes? Finally, how long do you have to wait before you make another run and are the IAT's just as low or are they higher after the first 2-3 WOT's (passes)? Please post your oppinions and replies below. The more info the better. There has beeen much controversey about the Killer Chiller and I think we all need Data to prove its success, if at all.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My experience is that it was improved over the stock cooling system but still left a lot to be desired.
IAT2s are drastically down in normal cruise and idle which is what everyone seems to post up.
However WOT pulls the air temps still spike up. Obviously they have a lower starting point so your first pull through the gears is not overly bad but they still spiked quite a bit and keep hammering on the car and they'll get up there as hot as if you didn't even have a killer chiller.
Then cruise around for a bit and it'll come down which was the nice thing. Before the KC temps would never come back down, now they do. It takes a bit, at least 5 minutes of cruising but they come down.
It still leaves the problem of IAT2 spiking on a WOT pull.
So I'm trying something different I plan to be out testing and running this summer. You can see details throughout this thread.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/installed-an-afco-gt500-heat-exchanger-in-car.1134584/

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I would say Malcolm hit it on the head. When i first bought my car the first two things i did was Dual Aeroforce gauges to be able to monitor all my temps, and an AFCO HE with dual fans. I watched my IAT2s from day one with a bone stock car and through pulleying it and such. Like Malcolm said even pullied my temps would usually be in the low 100s just cruising around and after some pulls would go up and almost never come back down. So i ditched that AFCO and went with a HE deleted Killer Chiller set up. I have had this for 2.5 years now. It does bring IAT2s down all the time and most consistently than the AFCO set up. Under WOT runs my IAT2s still rise but your starting from 90 degrees instead of 115. They also will drop back down pretty quick as compared to before. I am very excited to watch Malcolms new set up and see how it does.

Ironmancuck

Banned
Established Member
I don't like the idea of tapping into the AC system and opening up the possibity for reliability issues with the AC to pop up. Ford did a good job with keeping the IAT's down on the 2013 GT500 that puts out 15 pounds of boost from the factory so I would suggest adapting the 2013 GT500 heat exchanger and pump onto the older cars rather than messing with a chiller type system

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I don't like the idea of tapping into the AC system and opening up the possibity for reliability issues with the AC to pop up. Ford did a good job with keeping the IAT's down on the 2013 GT500 that puts out 15 pounds of boost from the factory so I would suggest adapting the 2013 GT500 heat exchanger and pump onto the older cars rather than messing with a chiller type system

The intercooler is the Achilles tendon on the Cobra. It's why MalcolmV8 modded his up.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Heat exchanger, the intercooler is under the blower. I knew what you meant though, lol.

No, Malcom modded his intercooler for more flow. He also modded his heat exchanger for more flow. It is why 3.4 whipple guys have such a hard time, the intercooler just can't support the heat load.

DOB had a intercooler under development for the terminator guys wanting to run big blowers, but dropped it. Market demand just couldn't support the cost to put it on the market.

cj428mach

Established Member
I wish someone that was an expert would put some math to it. Surely the amount of cooling each part of the cooling system could be analyzed and determine what it can handle while figuring the heat output made per boost level.

GTpower01

Established Member
Malcolm it all depends on you buddy.... Looks like everyone is waiting for your results!! I can't wait myself. Please log everything;)

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcolm it all depends on you buddy.... Looks like everyone is waiting for your results!! I can't wait myself. Please log everything;)

Lol well I'll definitely post up results. Poor Justin is going to get slammed if this produces the results I believe it will.

racebronco2

Established Member
Most of the older members know of me and what i have done to keep our cars cool. Most of my cooling mods were tested while open tracking for 20 minutes at a time. There are no cool down laps, you go wot most of the time or else you will be passed by slower cars.

Bigger radiator, boxed in radiator, bigger heat exchanger, remote thermostat, head cooling mod do not help to keep our cars cool, it will allow you to run your car longer before the temps eventually rise to a point of either allowing the car to cool off or the car will go into limp mode.

racebronco2

Established Member
My cooling mads are as follows,
Real heat extractor hood.
Meizere intercooler pump with a boost-a-pump at 100%.
80's VW Rabbit radiator with the stock heat exchanger.
Hole cut behind my license plate removed for track events only.

racebronco2

Established Member
This setup allowed me to run in 105* temps while open tracking, engine temps were about 210* and ait2's were 140*.

In city traffic of course the ait2's would rise at a light, because of the surface area it could start to cool down about 10* before i was across the intersection of a 4 lane road. The issue is you have to cut your header panel to allow the radiator to fit in front of your a/c condenser and between the headlights. The cool thing about it since the radiator has a radiator cap on it you can fill it up with no issues of priming the pump.

racebronco2

Established Member
Looks like Malcolm is doing something similar. I was able to keep my bumper support, it was trimmed a little to help airflow. Most people will not go the route Malcolm or i have chosen because most people hate cutting into their cars. Good work by the way Malcolm as usual.

YGETV8

Established Member
A couple of years ago I installed a stock '13 GT500 HE on my TVS powered Cobra. I just cut into the stock bumper support and mounted it directly to it. I had a larger coolant pump too. Boxed the lower HE area and trimmed the foam support to unblock it. Unfortunately, without further mods it was only marginal in helping with cooling...maybe 5 degrees cooler. Killer chiller is on now, but, alas, I discovered I need a new A/C compressor before I can test it! Lol

YGETV8

Established Member
I should add that was with casually observing my Aeroforce gauge...didn't get too scientific about it! Seemed to help recovery time as well. And even the stock GT500 HE is HUGE!

Users who are viewing this thread