KB vs. Whipple superchargers.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
Although I can't speak for the KB, I am 100% satisfied with my Whipple.

post some pics of your engine

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
TECH@KB said:
We have a bulletin posted on our website at http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/03_cobra_drive.pdf that explains the Kenne Bell drive situation. The only way the vapor could exit the standard drive (snout) with the “recovery” kit we supplied would be if the installer either did not install the recovery kit correctly or left in the stock vent and did not plug it like our instructions show. The recovery system works very well, so the snout does not require replacement, unless the customer desires to do this for esthetic purposes. The new Vented Bolt Drive was designed more for esthetics than improved venting. We carefully analyze each and every customer survey and complaint, and the main complaints were esthetics of the recovery system.

Earl, Jon Lund and one other customer broke a 10mm drive bolt. We determined these failures were the result of high boost combined with high rpm and the engine hitting the rev limiter. This results in the rotating mass of the supercharger rotors to jerk abruptly, snapping the bolt. We have also determined by over-torqing the drive bolt (when swapping pulleys for example), this can contribute to premature bolt failure due to stretching of the bolt. Never exceed our recommended torque values for pulley bolts. Always use a torque wrench. Never “guess” at the torque value. Although the failures were extremely rare, since we were redesigning the drive anyway, we decided to upgrade the 10mm bolt that has been successfully used for many years to the 12mm. To date, with this new design, we have not experienced a single failure of the 12mm VBD with stainless steel internals, nor a single complaint of any oil vapors / residue present.

Upgrading the current 10mm drive does require sending the supercharger / drive assembly back to Kenne Bell, as the rotors must be re-timed. This cannot be performed by the end user or dealer / installers as this requires special tools and training only performed in-house at Kenne Bell. We do not charge any labor for customers seeking to upgrade the new drive type.

As a previous Kenne Bell owner, I must say Kenne Bell customer service is the best I have encountered out of all the manufacteurers I have dealt with. I was the "Other" customer who's bolt kept snapping, and through it all Kenne Bell worked with me, and even shipped me my snout overnight no charge so I could run at an event. I recieved the 12mm bolt and NEVER had a single problem again. If i wasnt going Twin Turbo I would have a Kenne Bell 2.4 on my Cobra as we speak, not because Whipple isnt good, but because I was extremely happy with the product and customer service, and knew if I were to encounter any problems that they would take care of me. My vote would be Kenne Bell because of the good experiences I have had.

SnkebiteL

Established Member
Maybe I'll just lip a coin. Can't go wrong with either of them. Depends on who's cheaper.

ian022

Established Member
so, what happened?? is the whipple 3.3L coming out or what?? it's december now, i thought it was coming out mid november or december?? also, is whipple planning on getting a carb eo number for california?? for both of their kits. or at least just the head unit. i can get by with that
ian

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
ian022 said:
so, what happened?? is the whipple 3.3L coming out or what?? it's december now, i thought it was coming out mid november or december?? also, is whipple planning on getting a carb eo number for california?? for both of their kits. or at least just the head unit. i can get by with that
ian

Here you go...

Whipple 3.3 L

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
ian022,
Yes, 3.3L kit is almost done, but now were low on 3300ax's, marine engine builders have been taking all of them as of late. We'll be taking orders very soon.

As for an EO number, we will be getting that around Feb. time and we'll mail the stickers to all the customers.
Thanks, Dustin

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
SnkebiteL said:
I'm going whipple! Just to be different.
You won't be different for long. I think the Whipple is catching on. I have a polished one that I am installing in a few weeks. They need to come up with a way to make some upgraded fuel rails fit though.

Fang

Established Member
FLYIN said:
You won't be different for long. I think the Whipple is catching on. I have a polished one that I am installing in a few weeks. They need to come up with a way to make some upgraded fuel rails fit though.

You can't upgrade the fuel rails on it??????

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Fang said:
You can't upgrade the fuel rails on it??????

No not at this time or if you can without cutting the sh!t out of them somebody let me know. My brother and I looked into cpr fuel rails and they won't work without extensive modifications. RPM outlet has some specifically for the Kenne Bell. Just a matter of time, before they figure out something for the Whipple. :shrug:

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thought everybody would want to know some of the latest info. Opcon has named a new CEO, Mr. Rolf Hasselstrom, previous owner of Lysholm and SRM.

OPCON APPOINTS NEW CEO AND INTENSIFIES THE DEVELOPMENT OF ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY POWER FOR THE CAR INDUSTRY

Mr. Rolf Hasselström has been appointed CEO of Opcon from Jan. 1, 2005. He replaces Mr. Sven G. Oskarsson who retires as CEO after ten years. Presently Mr. Hasselström is responsible for the business area Mechanics with the companies Svenska Rotor Maskiner, Lysholm Technologies, Autorotor and Laminova as well as Opcon Inc.

The former CEO Mr. Sven G. Oskarsson will remain on the Board of Directors.

Mr. Svein Valheim has been appointed Vice President as from December 1, 2004. He is responsible for the business area Electromechanics where production of ignition systems and electromechanical devices are. During the first quarter 2005 Opcon starts production of ignition systems for combustion engines in China. The reason is to increase the competitiveness by reducing the production costs and to establish business on the Asian market.

The Opcon company develops modern technique in the field of ignition systems for engines, air systems for fuel cells engines, electromagnetic devices, superchargers for combustion engines, industrial air and cooling systems, intercoolers and oil coolers.

Opcon´s products and systems contribute to increasing the energy efficiency and radically decreasing the environmental impact within the car industry as well as the manufacturing industry.

Opcon is market leader of air systems for fuel cell engines to the car industry .

Opcon takes part in several projects together with the world´s leading car producers for development of the new intelligent fuel cell technique of the future which means that the carbon dioxide from cars totally can be reduced.

For further information please contact the Chairman of the Board, Mr Hans Golteus,
phone: +46 8 505 65 210.

stangfreak

Established Member
dustin not to change topics, but i was just on your webpage and just noticed it was updated. are you guys selling the new fluidyne HE? if so is it bigger than the gords heat exchanger?

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
TECH@KB said:
To quote Jim Bell.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
DW: The Lysholm designed compressor was designed by the lead designer of the Autorotor, he left Autorotor and help start Lysholm and develop a new compressor that had new design features. The Lysholm rotor, bearing, shaft and gear design was not only backed by Eaton (the most successful supercharger mfg. ever), but also passed all of Eaton and Fords durability and endurance test. Something the Autorotor has never successfully done.

JB: I guess you are attempting to bolster your product’s image by implying that the lead designer of Autorotor left to do a better supercharger. Here again Dustin has his facts all dead wrong and is misinformed, confused, or ....? “Lead designer”, no, Dustin. No “lead designer” from Lysholm ever designed an Autorotor. That is simply not true. Benny Lindbrandt is the “designer” you are referring to that left Autorotor to help start Lysholm. However it was not Lysholm’s Benny Lindbrandt as you claim who designed the Autorotor. He wasn’t even there when the Autorotor superchargers were designed. The “lead designer”of the Autorotor supercharger was actually Johnny Osscarrson, father of another Autorotor engineer and designer; Jan-Erik Osscarrson, whom I worked closely with for over 12 years. You’ve got your lead designer’s mixed up. You may wish to call Opcon and get the “real facts”. They find your claims of Benny designing the Autorotor as very humorous.

:bs: ____________________________________________________________

If anybody wants the patent information to which Mr. Lindbrandt sold to Opcon Autorotor, let me know, SC was patented and designed before Autorotor bought the technology. I also have a flyer here of the original design compressors through Mr. Lindbrandts company, before it was re-badged "autorotor". Even has his own logo casted in the oil front cover. Still laughing? :bowdown:

Information is key, try it! :rockon:

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
stangfreak said:
dustin not to change topics, but i was just on your webpage and just noticed it was updated. are you guys selling the new fluidyne HE? if so is it bigger than the gords heat exchanger?

Yes, were now offering the Fluidyne HE, it's certainly bigger than stock but I haven't seen the specs on Gords so I couldn't honestly tell you about the size. Its hard to imagine one is bigger without cutting, this is direct bolt in and fills the area about as much as possible.

Dustin

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I love my Whipple and thank the Swedes everyday. What is the status of the 19psi pullies for us 03 Cobra guys?
Dustin where is my hat and shirt? :shrug: Shonda had forgotten about it so i thought i'd :poke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Dale,
XL shirts just got in for xmas so I'll make sure Shonda sends them. Pullies will be ready at the beginning of the year.
Thanks,
Dustin

TECH@KB

Established Member
Whipple Charged said:
If anybody wants the patent information to which Mr. Lindbrandt sold to Opcon Autorotor, let me know, SC was patented and designed before Autorotor bought the technology. I also have a flyer here of the original design compressors through Mr. Lindbrandts company, before it was re-badged "autorotor". Even has his own logo casted in the oil front cover. Still laughing? :bowdown:

Quote from Jim Bell:

I don't think anyone here is the least bit interested in obsolete or meaningless patents on a supercharger component, who was the lead designer of a part, who owns the most stock in Opcon, or who is the latest CEO, etc... who cares? Unfortunately Dustin appears to have some hang-ups, just won't let it go, and continues with the subtle digs at Autorotor and me. So, as promised, whenever Dustin mentions Autorotor, Kenne Bell, or me, I will respond.

Jim Bell

Users who are viewing this thread