KB vs. Whipple superchargers.

TECH@KB

Established Member
Oil Spray

Originally posted by FOURCED
Hmmm... this is getting very interesting here.

For the record... I would just like to ask this which is on the minds of many who purchased KB blowers. The original snouts on the KB 2.2L were fond of spewing oil at high boost levels. Kenne Bell said that "nothing was wrong" with the snout, yet not too long ago they redesigned the snout... that never had any problems to begin with but redesigned it anyway. Now if you have the old "oil spewing" snout and want the new one, you have to send your blower back (as it's too complex for the layman to do, or that's the way I read it over on modularfords) and have it done by KB. You have to pay for the new snout, along with the labor/other expenses to change it out. Why not just replace them free of charge to the owners that want it done as a generous jester?

Just wanting to know...

Shannon

We have a bulletin posted on our website at http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/03_cobra_drive.pdf that explains the Kenne Bell drive situation. The only way the vapor could exit the standard drive (snout) with the “recovery” kit we supplied would be if the installer either did not install the recovery kit correctly or left in the stock vent and did not plug it like our instructions show. The recovery system works very well, so the snout does not require replacement, unless the customer desires to do this for esthetic purposes. The new Vented Bolt Drive was designed more for esthetics than improved venting. We carefully analyze each and every customer survey and complaint, and the main complaints were esthetics of the recovery system.

Earl, Jon Lund and one other customer broke a 10mm drive bolt. We determined these failures were the result of high boost combined with high rpm and the engine hitting the rev limiter. This results in the rotating mass of the supercharger rotors to jerk abruptly, snapping the bolt. We have also determined by over-torqing the drive bolt (when swapping pulleys for example), this can contribute to premature bolt failure due to stretching of the bolt. Never exceed our recommended torque values for pulley bolts. Always use a torque wrench. Never “guess” at the torque value. Although the failures were extremely rare, since we were redesigning the drive anyway, we decided to upgrade the 10mm bolt that has been successfully used for many years to the 12mm. To date, with this new design, we have not experienced a single failure of the 12mm VBD with stainless steel internals, nor a single complaint of any oil vapors / residue present.

Upgrading the current 10mm drive does require sending the supercharger / drive assembly back to Kenne Bell, as the rotors must be re-timed. This cannot be performed by the end user or dealer / installers as this requires special tools and training only performed in-house at Kenne Bell. We do not charge any labor for customers seeking to upgrade the new drive type.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Re: 10% OFF FOR SERVICEMEN / WOMEN SERVING IN IRAQ

Originally posted by TECH@KB
To show some appreciation, Jim has decided to give anyone who has served in Iraq a 10% discount off any Kenne Bell product. We want you all to know you deserve all of America's support, and hope you all are safe and return home soon!

That is great. How long are you going to be giving this deal for? I don't get out of hear until January, and I've been wanting one of the KB Boost-a-Sparks.

87FOXGT

Established Member
Re: Re: 10% OFF FOR SERVICEMEN / WOMEN SERVING IN IRAQ

Originally posted by Grey03Cobra
That is great. How long are you going to be giving this deal for? I don't get out of hear until January, and I've been wanting one of the KB Boost-a-Sparks.

I am thinking its good as long as you have served in iraq or are serving in the military with no set time frame? I will not be IN country until right before their elections sometime, so i am hoping when i get home this will still be a good offer. I dont see why it wouldnt be, i mean once i get home its not like whats in the past didnt happen :shrug:

But WoW thanks alot Mr Bell, thats really cool, and thank you also for taking the time to address the question i asked before. Honestly i get so stumped sometimes with this whole kb vs whipple debate, but stuff like this is what makes the difference. Thank you and I just personally want you to know I appreciate that, not really because it will save me some cash (though thats nice :) ) , but because like the old saying goes, its the thought that counts. Heh i gotta go email my best friend and tell him about this one :thumbsup:

TECH@KB

Established Member
Re: Re: 10% OFF FOR SERVICEMEN / WOMEN SERVING IN IRAQ

Originally posted by Grey03Cobra

It should be good for good.... I can check with Jim, but the 5% deal is ongoing, so I'm sure the 10% will be too.

Thanks again for putting your asses on the line for all of us here at home!

Regards,

Ken

rezcobra

Established Member
Whipple Charged said:
The 3.3 as a pure race setup will be available, it will require hood modifications. The 3.3 and 2.3 will be available for the Lighting as well.

Dave King, our inventory is low at this point, but it changes quite often. We've been getting small qty's lately instead of our large qty's that we usually get, making inventory change daily. The GP was suppose to be on a certain date but never came through until later. We didn't know when the orders were going to be placed and no one called to check stock. Orders will be going out next week.

Thanks,
Dustin

Koenigsegg's newest car use's the 3.3 Lysholm on its 4.7, making in excess of 800 ponies. So it should work well in the bored or stroked 4.6 Cobra engines with ported heads etc., not to mention the DOHC 5.4 and 6.0s!! It sounds very interesting!!! :rockon:

Fast Willy

Established Member
The problem I think with the whipples are that Whipple themselves dont even know how much boost each pulley will make. Don't you think That a company like whipple would have figured this out by now. I have seen cars wit hthe exact same mods and everything with the same pulley push more boost then one another. This is quit odd to me. I am personally looking into the KB 2.2 and 2.4 right now.

stangin

Established Member
SCMod46 said:
The problem I think with the whipples are that Whipple themselves dont even know how much boost each pulley will make. Don't you think That a company like whipple would have figured this out by now. I have seen cars wit hthe exact same mods and everything with the same pulley push more boost then one another. This is quit odd to me. I am personally looking into the KB 2.2 and 2.4 right now.

I was kind of thinking the same thing when I read that.. they should know this.. just tells me if they dont that they have not done much research or testing.. probably in such a hurry to get them to market and test them in field lol. With the front drives coming off, I guess we are QAing them as well :)

CobrABoZ

Established Member
not to bash whipple or anything but there are 5 cobras in my town 3 have have kb's and 2 have whipples now the whipple guys have had problems with the pulleys comeing off the snout of the blower and have friends with the same problem they say theres a flaw in the build i dont know i dont have either blower but i just thought id tell u guys that because its kinda weird but the kb guy have had no problems at all. But i also heard about the oil leak problem but havent seen it personally the guys in my town havent had that problem.

stangin

Established Member
lightningboz said:
not to bash whipple or anything but there are 5 cobras in my town 3 have have kb's and 2 have whipples now the whipple guys have had problems with the pulleys comeing off the snout of the blower and have friends with the same problem they say theres a flaw in the build i dont know i dont have either blower but i just thought id tell u guys that because its kinda weird but the kb guy have had no problems at all. But i also heard about the oil leak problem but havent seen it personally the guys in my town havent had that problem.

KB fixed the oil problem and it was only minor.. the expansion tank took care of the ones that did spit oil.

I think Whipple will fix the problem, once they do there will be two good aftermarket blower options which will be a good thing.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Pics of the 3.3 L would be nice. And race set-up only? Does that mean it is not street legal? I want a larger blower, but I want street legal and 800 hp. Is that possible?

Boosted 03

Established Member
KB 2.4L for me! :D :D :D :D :D

If a had pictures or factorial info on the new 3.3L Whipple I would consider, but as of now I've only heard talk. :dw:

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The 3.3L should be street legal in 05' but not at the boost levels consumers will be running. It should be available in mid to the end of december. Were trying to make it upgradeable.

As far as those who said we don't know what pulley makes what boost, that's entirely untrue. On a 100% bone stock motor, 80deg F day, 500-800ft elevation, boost will be: 3.50" (13lbs), 3.25" (15lbs), 3" (17lbs), 2.75" (19lbs). After that, you need to go the other lower pulleys to get either in between those levels or higher.

All mods make differences as well as atmospheric conditions. Whether you have a stock TB vs. the aftermarket, headers, cat back, MAF, air inlet, etc. Boost is just a measurement of the air thats not going in the valves, relieve the restriction on either side (inlet and discharge) and boost will go down, increase the restriction and the boost will go up, same blower speed.

As for drive problems, theres 3 incidents, 2 to the same customer, 1 to another, were working on something to address these concerns but I hardly call the two a major problem. Either way, it will make the product better.

We have countless hours in research on the kit, we chose to offer the system as a base package and let the dealers compliment their products and knowledge. Instead of sending parts that you may not need. This is abnormal from normal kits, but the Cobra is so heavily modified that we felt it was better to offer the system this way. Many customers already had modified vehicles and therefore we didn't want to give extra parts.

Thanks,
Dustin

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Lighting kit should be just after that. 2.3L will be ready very soon, 3.3L is shortly behind it because it requires a new casting which always takes a bit longer than expected.

Thanks,
Dustin

Boosted 03

Established Member
Thank you for the update, it is very helpfull. How much PSI is the 3.3L capable of producing, I noticed you keep mentioning "RACE". Do you have a guestimate of a possible realease date? It sounds like it may be worth the wait! Otherwords, hold off on jumping onto the 2.4L KB. Both KB and Whipple obviously produce some Bad arse setups, it's just a matter of opinion and taste. Thank you to both companies for bringing out new and improved products to the enthusiasts! I Love this car!D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread