KB gt or mach 1 eventually supercharged?

SonicStang03

Established Member
k guys in spring im going to have around $16k to spend after selling my 6er and saving up checks.

which is a better buy?

i can get a 99-04 gt with low miles for around $10-$12k and use th extra cash to put a 2.1 KB on it.

or

getting a 03/04 mach with decent miles for $16-$17k and then waiting a long time to save up and get a procharger.

im not trying to build the bottom end of either motors and i know the machs have better heads and better crank's (manual). which means they can hold a little more power. but which do you guys think is the best buy?

i would have lower insurance rates with a gt = more car $.
i am only a freshman in college right now. help me out!!:beer: what would you do?

Last edited:

mach1gsxr

Established Member
You can pick up a s/c mach for about 16-17k. I can find you a blue mach that has the eaton swap done with 80k miles for under 17k.

SonicStang03

Established Member
yeah i dont want a car with 80k tho. im looking for for 40-50 k for a mach and 30 k for a gt

im more asking power wise. can you get the same power out of a gt that you can get out of a mach?

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well either one you go with is going to to be limited to aroun 440 rwhp. Thats if u want it to be safe. Some have made more ont he stock motor somehave made less. Now if u get the Mach how hard will it be to save for the blower...if your dedset on a KB keep in mind they arent alot out there used and when they are their still exspensive. However if basically comes down to which one u want more. I mean the Mach has a more powerful engine but my best friend has an 03GT thats blown and its fast lol. Also keep in mind you can also find a 05 style for that much if you look. Those are really good motors and its a newer car.

MoCkiN U

Established Member
you would be at the limits of that GT with 5psi on a kenne bell on not really getting the whine you want out of it at that lower psi where in the mach you have 305ish at the wheels with intake, tune, exhaust.

The interior and seats win on a mach although you could buy nicer seats for the gt also. same rear on both. 3:55 gears on the mach though.

sitting behind that wheel and looking over the hood is pretty damn cool view though.

65mph cruising on hwy

[ame=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/MACH%201/?action=view&current=100_2016.flv]
th_100_2016.jpg
[/ame]

went for a drive with a buddy after magnapack install

[ame=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/MACH%201/?action=view&current=BNRStangsresized.flv]
th_BNRStangsresized.jpg
[/ame]

Last edited:

SonicStang03

Established Member
how much power does the average procharged mach put out? (prochargers seem to be the most popular mach s/c)

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
For 17k you can get an 03 Cobra if you look hard enough. 13-14k for a used Mach 1. Between the gt and Mach its Mach hands down. Better 4v dohc heads, more potential from the get go, make waaaay more power with bolt ons in n/a form, looks much better than the standard gt and its a some what limited edition/special edition car.

+1 on the interior being great in the Mach. I used to own an 03 DSG Mach 1. Wish I still had that car instead of my 97 Cobra.

MoCkiN U

Established Member
how much power does the average procharged mach put out? (prochargers seem to be the most popular mach s/c)

machs have cobra brakes so yeah they are bigger.

If you asked I would say go with Vortech. Most tuners in this area who have the best reputation are dealers for them versus procharger so I asked who I trust locally in Illinois (Mike Post) and this is what he said:

"Pound for pound Vortech street kits make more HP per pound of boost.
That's why most tuner like to use them. With a Vortech I can make the same
or more HP with less boost. That means less abuse on your car. Vortech
also offers an Auxiliary Airduct Kit available to utilize factory shaker
system"

Look at this link. Good info for mods/power adder/results

centrifugals

[ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51791]Official Procharger HP/TQ/mods thread: - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

KB & Eaton

[ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78452]Official Whipple/KB/Eaton HP/TQ/mods thread: - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
machs have cobra brakes so yeah they are bigger.

If you asked I would say go with Vortech. Most tuners in this area who have the best reputation are dealers for them versus procharger so I asked who I trust locally in Illinois (Mike Post) and this is what he said:

"Pound for pound Vortech street kits make more HP per pound of boost.
That's why most tuner like to use them. With a Vortech I can make the same
or more HP with less boost. That means less abuse on your car. Vortech
also offers an Auxiliary Airduct Kit available to utilize factory shaker
system"

Look at this link. Good info for mods/power adder/results

centrifugals

Official Procharger HP/TQ/mods thread: - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

KB & Eaton

Official Whipple/KB/Eaton HP/TQ/mods thread: - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

I would say thats just propaganda. Considering the Procharger units flow more cfm than the competing Vortech units. So for Vortech to make more power than Procharger pound for pound I would say thats BS. Also Procharger uses a more agressive step up ratio than Vortech, resulting in more boost at a lower rpm.

Either one you go with will do just fine and have a dead unit that can get you to your hp goal.

MoCkiN U

Established Member
Yeah bro on that one I got nothing as Im no expert. I do trust my 3 local tuners tho Bob Kurgan (IL), Marv at C&M performance (WI), and the guy who does my work Mike Post at DynotuneMP (IL).

All of them are vortech dealers so I rely on those guys for the best answers I can get.

SonicStang03

Established Member
if you guys really think i can get machs at that price then thats what ill do. i just thought i could get one for 14 or 15 around 14k.

isnt it best to buy one that has been touched before performance wise?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Yeah bro on that one I got nothing as Im no expert. I do trust my 3 local tuners tho Bob Kurgan (IL), Marv at C&M performance (WI), and the guy who does my work Mike Post at DynotuneMP (IL).

All of them are vortech dealers so I rely on those guys for the best answers I can get.

Well you said it yourself those guys are Vortech dealers, so wouldn't you think they would be talking up the product they sell?:idea:

I've heard good things about the tuners you have mentioned so I'm not trying to discredit them by any means but I'm not buying the Vortech is better bit.

But, that doesnt mean Vortech is bad either. Its a quality blower and will deliver good #'s with the right set up. Nice thing about Vortech is its slightly cheaper than Procharger. There is a thread some where on this forum explaining how to get a brand new Vortech kit for super cheap. Most of the parts are bought through superchargersonline.com.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
I paid around 17k for my 03 cobra. you have a forged motor and blower from the factory. If your insurance company wont cover you, its time for another insurance company cmon dude.

EDIT: if you cant go with the cobra, i would get a 98-02 ls1 fbody before either the platforms you mentioned, much faster N/A and will cost much less than a mach 1. if you cant stomach a GM, than i would get a 96 up cobra, which is about the same drivline as a mach 1 for much cheaper as well. Anything short of the 03 cobra or LS1(good for 550 RWHP+ on ls1) your going to be limited by the weak internals of the N/A 4.6(~ 450RWHP)

Last edited:

SonicStang03

Established Member
alll i really want is 450-500 rwhp.

insurance wont cover me or i couldnt afford the coverage. lol im only 18. a termi is prob too much for me right now.

im already on an sr22 bond from my v6

Users who are viewing this thread