KB gt or mach 1 eventually supercharged?

d-nice

Established Member
Anyone have any insight on how long a stock Mach 1 motor with 30k will last with a procharger D1-SC making around 470rwhp. Would be a daily driver, no track time and only drove hard from time to time. I know this a hard question but is it worth the extra $$ to get a terminator or worry about blowing the bottom end of the mach 1.

blumnday99

Established Member
Anyone have any insight on how long a stock Mach 1 motor with 30k will last with a procharger D1-SC making around 470rwhp. Would be a daily driver, no track time and only drove hard from time to time. I know this a hard question but is it worth the extra $$ to get a terminator or worry about blowing the bottom end of the mach 1.

Mine lasted 4 months. Never went to the track and drove it hard a few times. I was making just about the same...around 470 rwhp. Started as a little tick and pretty soon tons of smoke out the back end and really loud tick.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

No telling. But many people that run the D1SC on the stock long block dont last very long. I say get the Terminator. Forged shortblock, 6 speed, IRS(if your into that) and a factory blower that with just a pulley and bolt ons you can be close to 470rwhp.

SonicStang03

Established Member
i was thinking about it today. 2v or 4v doesnt really seem to matter? i look at it like this...

i have $17,000 to spend.
goal for now 440 ish and later possibly 500.

option 1.
buy a gt with about 20k miles for $8-$10,000
then add a KB 2.1 and ported/ new heads to that for 6,000 and be at 420 or so easliy.

then later on build the motor for 3-4,000 and run closer to 550 rwhp
+ insurance would be cheaper

Option 2.
get a mach with 40k miles or so for like $16,000 and supercharge that. or find one already supercharged for the same $ with higher miles and be at around 440ish

i would have to be cautious with the mach cause of the high compression. i wouldnt be able to boost it much.

but its cost 6,000 to build a mach.
insurance would be a TON more expensive with a mach as well

seems like its cheaper to get the GT cause of the lower compression.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
i was thinking about it today. 2v or 4v doesnt really seem to matter? i look at it like this...

i have $17,000 to spend.
goal for now 440 ish and later possibly 500.

option 1.
buy a gt with about 20k miles for $8-$10,000
then add a KB 2.1 and ported/ new heads to that for 6,000 and be at 420 or so easliy.

then later on build the motor for 3-4,000 and run closer to 550 rwhp
+ insurance would be cheaper

Option 2.
get a mach with 40k miles or so for like $16,000 and supercharge that. or find one already supercharged for the same $ with higher miles and be at around 440ish

i would have to be cautious with the mach cause of the high compression. i wouldnt be able to boost it much.

but its cost 6,000 to build a mach.
insurance would be a TON more expensive with a mach as well

seems like its cheaper to get the GT cause of the lower compression.

What does that have to do with anything? :dw:
And to rebuild the shortblock in either car will cost the same. You might spend more $$$ on the GT simply because you will need to work the top end ie heads, cams intake in order to reach the power of the Mach 1. The Mach 1 cylinder heads flow really well from the factory. Consider there are Terminators making 700-800+rwhp on the stock long block. Just so happens the Mach shares the same heads and cams as the Terminator.

I still say Mach 1. Way more potential, looks worlds better, much rarer car and you can get one with 40k miles around 14k. I have one local to me with 70k going for 12k. I wouldnt supercharge the car though unless you are ready to with money in hand to replace the shortblock. Especially if its a DD.

Last edited:

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Coming from someone who has a 03 GT that looks so good, i love my gt.
I say go with the mach 1... A GT is slow factory... even with a supercharger your not getting anything better than a high 12 low 13... a mach 1 n/a will hit those times, you have nastalgia, rareity, and 4v motor is a beast. I want a 03 cobra, bad, but more and more I look at it... you cant replace that nod of acknowledgement of the scoop when you blip the throttle. That the mach 1 gives u. Mach 1 ftw...

SonicStang03

Established Member
What does that have to do with anything? :dw:
And to rebuild the shortblock in either car will cost the same. You might spend more $$$ on the GT simply because you will need to work the top end ie heads, cams intake in order to reach the power of the Mach 1. The Mach 1 cylinder heads flow really well from the factory. Consider there are Terminators making 700-800+rwhp on the stock long block. Just so happens the Mach shares the same heads and cams as the Terminator.

I still say Mach 1. Way more potential, looks worlds better, much rarer car and you can get one with 40k miles around 14k. I have one local to me with 70k going for 12k. I wouldnt supercharge the car though unless you are ready to with money in hand to replace the shortblock. Especially if its a DD.

well my goal is to break 11's and i dont think that will happen N/A. and i like nitrous but i want the power all the time. both of thoes = boost

1bad00

Established Member
Cobra ftw! i've driven all 3. cobra has the best potential. although the mach is very nice and i love the hood. Dont get me wrong i love my gt buy if i had that kind of money i would be looking for a cobra. that is unless u wana buy my gt??

SonicStang03

Established Member
haha not really. a cobra is obviously the best. i know that haha but it will be a BITCH to insure a cobra. i got rated $328 a month for a gt. imagine a cobra. thats what im trying to say.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well if u have that many points and insurance is that much id honestly be looking at whatever is the cheapest. If you really wanted to go fast and not pay get you a badd@$$ Fox coupe thats already built and blown, hell you can find one that started off as a 4 cyl. Boom there ya go insurance thinks its a 4cyl and u get to go fast for cheap oh and the parts for foxes are ALOT cheaper as long as ur not getting into heavy duty motor stuff like 408's and big strokers and all.

SonicStang03

Established Member
yeah tell me about it. thats what makes it not so easy deciding what to get. it will drop in 2012. thats when the sr22 bond drops. but untill then its going to suck. i mean i could get a mach and just suck it up for summers and pay the rates.

or settle for a gt and pay a little less.

what can a built GT hold? hp wise?

crazycarlo

Established Member
built GT is ajust thats its "built" to withhold the power. Depending on what kind of internals maybe somewhere between500-700 rwhp. Here the deal...if its built they should all be able to withold alot of power. Its just how much money you wanna spend to get there. And yes the 4v Mach head is a better flowing head. But check this u can buy better 2v Heads and still come out cheaper then the Mach. Now I drive a 98 cobra thats supercharged and I love my car and I love the mach the only reason I dont have a DSG Mach 1 is because the guy never called me back...HOWEVER being 26 years old let me tell you this. If you get a blown and built GT its gonna be fast and lets face it Fast is Fast it just depends on how deep your pockets are. But being an 18 yr old college kid man that $300 a month is gonna suck and ur prob gonna get tired of it. I did and I was driving a 92 5.0 Get something that within your budget and doesnt stress u out to much. Cause if something goes wrong then u have no money to fix it.

SonicStang03

Established Member
well the GT is the cheapest one... lol $300 a month is the lowest i can go.

thats exactly what i was thinking. a forged 2v GT can hold more power than a mach 1 with its stock internals.

how much does it cost to go forged?

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Id get the mach, there nice cars and ive seen them as cheap at 12k.. The only reason I boght my Gt is cause its fully built, 6 speed, 2.2 KB.. Otherwise id never even consider a GT

SonicStang03

Established Member
Id get the mach, there nice cars and ive seen them as cheap at 12k.. The only reason I boght my Gt is cause its fully built, 6 speed, 2.2 KB.. Otherwise id never even consider a GT

wow you have a dream car... id LOVE to have that car. good find on a built GT

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Procharge a Mach or do an Eaton Swap...$13-15 for Mach and around $3k-4k for a complete eaton swap. A tad more for a procharger. lol

Users who are viewing this thread