Just Blew The Engine Up!

burke985

Established Member
The spiking of the boost is what killed it , how can you go from 10.5 psi to 15 that is a big difference. Bad tune? Too much Air ?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
lol yeah thats a piston for sure, can see the ring lands and everything

OP good luck and sorry to hear

D.T.R

Established Member
You guys excuse my lack of PD blower expertise, but how in the world do you go from 10 to 15psi with the same pulley?

prn1972

Established Member
While i do agree that mustang dynos read lower, i don't think is quite that much of a difference.

I have been on both kinds off dyno. Not at the power level am at now(or was at) I have the dyno sheets to prove it, dynojet was 15% higher than the mustang dyno it was on. So do the math, what is 15% more at 606whp? This may not be the case with all dyno but it is with the ones I have been on. When I tell people I made 606/521 on this mustang dyno they cant believe it, they don't call it the heartbreaker for no reason.

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
@prn1972: I'm sorry to gawk, my heart goes out to you, bro. Seriously. If you can could you take a clear picture of the metal pieces and post when you can. Just trying to get a quick idea as to what was damaged. The more we all know...

prn1972

Established Member
The spiking of the boost is what killed it , how can you go from 10.5 psi to 15 that is a big difference. Bad tune? Too much Air ?

it didn't go from 10.5 to 15lbs, the 75mm pulley is suppose to make 10.5lbs but with me tune & set it makes 15lbs. & it is 15lbs instant when you hit the throttle. it let go around 4500rpm where peak torque is. plus it was 30 degrees outside.

Tune was spot on, a/f stay at 11.5-11.6, I have aeroforce interceptor setup to tell me if it gets to lean at 5000rpm up, yes its on 93 pump with 15* timing down low & 13* timing up top.

Block or stock internal just couldn't handle the power, car lasted 6000 miles this way, like I said I knew I was pushing it.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Sorry to see, but as someone else mention the cooler air can wreak havoc. Not having a lot of knowledge on the 5.0's, do you guys run mafs or is the a/f controlled by the O2's?

burke985

Established Member
it didn't go from 10.5 to 15lbs, the 75mm pulley is suppose to make 10.5lbs but with me tune & set it makes 15lbs. & it is 15lbs instant when you hit the throttle. it let go around 4500rpm where peak torque is. plus it was 30 degrees outside.

Tune was spot on, a/f stay at 11.5-11.6, I have aeroforce interceptor setup to tell me if it gets to lean at 5000rpm up, yes its on 93 pump with 15* timing down low & 13* timing up top.

Block or stock internal just couldn't handle the power, car lasted 6000 miles this way, like I said I knew I was pushing it.

Ok gotcha , so it was making 15 psi at max boost then all the time , then yeah I could see that creating some massive power

Last edited:

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
I think the guy that broke on the Autobahn said that he did a downshift and floored it and it let go......is that along the same lines of what happened to you?

prn1972

Established Member
I think the guy that broke on the Autobahn said that he did a downshift and floored it and it let go......is that along the same lines of what happened to you?

no I came to a straight away on the highway, got on it a little in 3rd, put it up into 4th & floored it, then my little joy ride turned into a nightmare..lol

techwerkz

Established Member
Welcome to the TVS killed my stock engine club. Here is my melted carnage. Luckily I didn't window the block, or really hurt anything else. Actually the rest of the engine was pretty much mint.

BxMBfH3h.jpg

vlQ3oXQh.jpg

Looks like the 2nd ringland pinched.
SsK7isYh.jpg

The good news was the rod bearings looked pretty mint for a car with 26,000 miles.
rp9UQRRh.jpg

prn1972

Established Member
Car only has 11,000 miles on it. Wonder if Ford will warranty it..LOL
Figured I would be really pissed off but I'm not... I say **** it...I got a credit card & not long till tax returns.

I will post up more pix with my tuner/engine builder gets it to his shop. I hope the crank & heads were not damaged. And that nothing got in the blower. Keep my fingers crossed. Probably be a few was till I get it to the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread