Just Blew The Engine Up!

prn1972

Established Member
I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. Pretty sure I just windowed the shit out of the block. I was in 4th & got on it. At about 4000-4500rpm I couldn't see shit but smoke coming out of the black end. As I was watching I seen a hunk of metal fly out the black. Pulled over & there is a hunk of metal under the car & oil everywhere. Oh well I knew she was living on borrowed time as much power as she was making. I'm glad its not too long till my tax return.

CPRsm

Just an excuse to upgrade! Sig looks like you're making some power for sure. At least you're in good spirits. Good luck man.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Shit man that blows no pun intended. Can you post pics of the carnage? Seems lime those pd blowers are no joke when you stomp on them at low rpm once you swap pulleys.

Ah and by the way I really hope that your blower is okay. It would suck if you had to get a new one after spending some good coin on a motor.

Last edited:

prn1972

Established Member
j17kso.jpg

JP0814GT

Established Member
I know how this feels! It's a very sick gut feeling even if you expect it to happen.
Good luck in your new engine endeavor :thumbup: try to stay positive.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Damn I can't make out what that is. I doubt a piston would look like that after fighting its way out of the block

JP0814GT

Established Member
Damn from those pics this is a very nasty failure. Those are BIG chunks.
Once you wick up a PD on a stock motor they reek havoc.
Plus cold weather will make even more rod snapping TQ & HP if it's colder air where this happened bet this thing was putting the mojo down. My PD stock motor 3 valve went out in similar fashion it was Feb 29 degrees out.

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
Damn that sucks, looks like I'm never pulleying down until I build the motor...good luck with your next go around

D.T.R

Established Member
I can't see the pics (blocked at work) but i don't think i want to either lmao
How much power to the wheels were you making when this happened?
good luck with your new engine.

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
Damn... It's like her little heart fell out... so sad.

Judgin' by his mods he was probably making 450-453 HP at the wheel at least. I stand by this statement.

Welp. Time to go engine shopping!

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
That's a big, big chunk of metal. Too big for a piston, but who knows. Hard to tell.

That looks like a piece of your transmission to me....

prn1972

Established Member
It has 75mm pulley, suppose to be 10.5 lbs but peaks at 15lbs with the JLT big air intake & the way the can timing is set. She put down 606whp/521wtq on a Mustang that reads very low, on a Dynojet it would be a little over 700whp

And of course the car is too damn low to get on the tow truck. He went to get some boards to see if can get her up on it. So I'm still on the side of the road.

jojobee

Established Member
OMG thats a nasty failure, at least you take it well.

With all your mods all you needed was a stronger block so hopefully nothing else was damaged.

Good luck with your new project ;)

Users who are viewing this thread