Is the 03-04 Cobra the Beast it was 7-10+ Years Ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wckdvnm

Established Member
@SVTCobra60 here you go since I can’t hit the reply function

Also I would take the terminator any time over a coyote car. The car is lifeless to me and I’ve driven multiple at different power levels. Don’t like them, sound like hot dog crap in every form.
The worst part of the newer mustangs is all the terrible owners. Stupid kids who don’t know how to work on their own cars. I understand where technology is taking cars but I don’t find them fun or just interesting to me, being 23 and seeing my family have a new car every two years as a child I just didn’t see the importance of new cars. Some people like to build a car to compete with the newest and best simply to show they can and that’s the kind of person I am.

VenomVeins

Established Member
@SVTCobra60 here you go since I can’t hit the reply function

Also I would take the terminator any time over a coyote car. The car is lifeless to me and I’ve driven multiple at different power levels. Don’t like them, sound like hot dog crap in every form.
So much THIS.

I had already talked myself into buying a new GT after a test drive....until i had one as a rental for a month in Maui.

At first, i was amped AS **** to have one to blast around the island in. After the second week, i couldnt stand it. Boring as all hell with no soul whatsoever. No exaggeration.

The Terminator is 10 times funner in every measurable way.

And no, the Terminator isnt the street beast it once was (due to technology) but it still very respected.

wckdvnm

Established Member
So much THIS.

I had already talked myself into buying a new GT after a test drive....until i had one as a rental for a month in Maui.

At first, i was amped AS **** to have one to blast around the island in. After the second week, i couldnt stand it. Boring as all hell with no soul whatsoever. No exaggeration.

And no, the Terminator isnt the street beast it once was (due to technology) but it still very respected.

I agree it isn’t what it once was but that doesn’t matter to me. It’s about a car that had a weird development cycle, first modern muscle car to go supercharged.
If it takes me time to build it how I want it then so be it; I prefer seeing something someone took the time to build. I already think out of the box since I’m not a drag racer/boy racer type of person. I enjoy turns, open tracking, and autocross. Sure there are better platforms but I don’t care; Detroit speed is always at the top of the optima autocross challenge and their cars are all old muscle cars that speaks volumes to people who’d rather build what they have/like then “just buy the new one”.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Their are certainly faster cars out now, but that doesn't mean much. There will always be bigger and better things as time progresses.

The 03/04 Cobras are just one of those cars that are going to be remembered though, if not for their name alone. A lot of history is tied up with them. From being the first supercharged Mustang, the Mustang that turned the tide on the muscle car wars, the book (Iron Fist Lead Foot), John Coletti, Camilo Pardo's hand in designing bits for it, and all the way up to the fact it was one of the first Mustangs to blow up the internet with races (streetfire and those old sites); so basically, very memorable.

I read an article on MSN recently about the iconic cars with good names and 03/04 Cobras made their list. It was fun seeing it in social media like that after all this time.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
No matter how you feel about the Terminator we can all, especially us GT500 owners, thank John Coletti for not only saving the Mustang from becoming a FWD abomination, but launching Mustang to the stratosphere of performance.

Realistically, Terminator was the opening salvo in what we all now enjoy as the modern Muscle car wars. Long may the Mustang reign.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
5_FB811_EC_A807_4_D70_9513_41_D36_DBB4_D69_4881_00000457351791_B4.jpg
C84_CE007_8981_47_C5_AFAB_221540_DA2_A30_4881_0000045804_C11981.jpg

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
So much THIS.

Lol at the terminator being 10 times funner at every measurable way. Sure if you like being heat soaked at the the road course. There’s a reason you never see a terminator at a track day. They are not as good as the s197 cars. I know you termie guys are drag queens but maybe one day you will experience a track day and get a car that not only has power but can handle too and not be heat soaked by a supercharger.
I’ve been posting here since 2004 and there is only 1 guy I can think of that actually road courses his 03/04 cobra. Lol, yea sounds like a fun car alright.

And lol at the meme. Whatever happened to zyborg?

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I feel I should clarify my feelings on the Terminator. It absolutely has a great back story and layed the foundation for SVT being King of the hill (only member for a while) for years. With all the advancements in OEM technology and performance, it lost its luster to all but Ford loyalists. I keep seeing this name recognition and attention thrown out there as well. I can assure anyone, I get more attention and compliments in the Hellcat than I ever did in any of my Terminators.

It has a place for sure in history, but I’m not a nostalgic guy nor do I live in the past. Waaaaaaaaay too many cars out now for that.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol at the terminator being 10 times funner at every measurable way. Sure if you like being heat soaked at the the road course. There’s a reason you never see a terminator at a track day. They are not as good as the s197 cars. I know you termie guys are drag queens but maybe one day you will experience a track day and get a car that not only has power but can handle too and not be heat soaked by a supercharger.
I’ve been posting here since 2004 and there is only 1 guy I can think of that actually road courses his 03/04 cobra. Lol, yea sounds like a fun car alright.

That is like saying "Hammers are worthless tools, have you ever tried to change spark plugs with one? God damn impossible!"

Terminator is a Street/Strip car and that is where it is fun and shines. If you want a more "road course" oriented car, that would be the 99/01 and Cobra R.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I take back what I said previously.

This topic at 6 pages has been beaten to death. We have effectively beat a horse to death guys.

RIP Terminators.

Beat a COBRA.......it's a snake. Don't beat your snake, you'll need glasses.

I love these threads.

You are a sadistic moderator. Give me more.

Rather cruise "uncomfortably" in this down the highway any day over a comfy coyote at the same hp... This car is 15yrs old and in 15yrs from now we'll be asking what's a coyote, but we'll all know what a terminator is...Still

It was that engine in marginal Mustangs before everything went hybrid or electric.

View attachment 1494781

Lol at the terminator being 10 times funner at every measurable way. Sure if you like being heat soaked at the the road course. There’s a reason you never see a terminator at a track day.

I was at Charlotte Motor Speedway in my ZL1 Camaro last week and a forum member here was running his VMP Cobra. I also saw another Cobra a few weeks back.

I can beat the shit out of the ZL1 for 3-4 twenty-minute long track sessions hitting 150+ MPH. I am under no illusion that people will ever know or care about a ZL1 in 15 years. Badass car, but it isn't special like the Cobra.

stangfreak

Established Member
Would you also be surprised to know that a mild bolt-on NA 2018 coyote mustang will run 10’s at 125+ mph?

Add boost and they go 9s at 140 ....almost so easy it’s a sin.

Welcome to 2018 and the tech that comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Yes the coyote is better but you went from talking about 1000rwhp stock motor 5.0 to a bolt on 10 second coyote. Two different things lol. There is no way a high compression stock motor coyote will last with 900-1000rwhp. Iv had my cobra for 15 years and have seen what abuse these cars took on a stock motor. pass after pass, hot lapped, twisncrewed, whatever, making big power and still holding up with lots of miles. I think the terminator is more boost friendly with the forged internals and lower compression ratio.

I am not hating on the 5.0. I love the coyote motor. If I had the money, I would buy a 5.0 and park it next to my cobra. Matter of fact I was trying to sell my cobra to buy a new mustang. Just can't do it right now. so I am not hating.

It is easier to go fast with the coyote. and more expensive. More cubic inches, better heads, better tech, more compression. awesome. But now wth that high compression and boost, that puppy will generate a shit load of heat.

Harolds red 03 cobra won the import vs domestic shootout with a bone stock 03 cobra motor. x2c motorsports went 8's with a stock 03 cobra motor. busters sonic blue cobra had a stock motor. If I remember correctly, he went through two built motors when the stock one went, the built motors went also and he went back to a reman engine and it was holding up.

crane train went 9.90's at 140mph on a stock 03 cobra motor with 95K miles. 95 THOUNSAND MILES ON A STOCK MOTOR!!!!! Then you have the guy on modular fords I forgot his screen name, had 120,000 miles on his motor and was going 10.0's.

Look, we all know the coyote motor is superior to the 03 cobra motor. we all know this. I would hope to god it would be after 15 years. But, if I had to gamble and build a factory 900hp motor and want it to last, I would have a little more faith with the terminator motor. It has forged internals from the factory and there are cobras with OVER 100,000 MILES still going 10's with a untouched motor. all kidding asides, you have to admit that is impressive.

The terminator did what it had to do. Now its retired. still respected, and to this day, 15 years later, I still get the thumbs up and people staring as I drive. Pretty cool.

I think there are more 8-9 second cobras with stock motors out there with higher miles and lasting longer than the coyote. I could be wrong. But when I am seeing cobras with 90-120,000 miles going 9's, you cant argue with that or the facts. The proof is there.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
That is like saying "Hammers are worthless tools, have you ever tried to change spark plugs with one? God damn impossible!"

Terminator is a Street/Strip car and that is where it is fun and shines. If you want a more "road course" oriented car, that would be the 99/01 and Cobra R.
I'm replying to someone saying the terminator is 10 times funner when it in fact isnt. Car does worse in braking, has more weight in the front and will have a harder time launching. To me the only downfall of the s197 + coyote combo is the solid axle. But for a track weapon, easy, s197 5.0.
Interior is horrible too, I dont know wtf you guys are smoking, 10 year old interior from 94, dog shit is dog shit. I want to rent a Terminator now on turo. I know its nothing compared to my viper, but I want to experience what you guys are so highly defending.

Maybe that whine has you hypnotized? LOL

VenomVeins

Established Member
Lol at the terminator being 10 times funner at every measurable way.

You’re wrong. Period.

The fun factor is much higher in the Terminator. It isnt up for debate.

Sure if you like being heat soaked at the the road course. There’s a reason you never see a terminator at a track day. They are not as good as the s197 cars. I know you termie guys are drag queens but maybe one day you will experience a track day and get a car that not only has power but can handle too and not be heat soaked by a supercharger.

I 100% agree with you on this. The Terminator is a very poor track car. It totally shines stoplight to stoplight and in the 1/4.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Cobra at the Road Course (happens to go off track)
Man, I go to Laguna seca and sonoma between them at least 3-4 times a year and have never seen a cobra on the track. I know they exist, but theres gotta be a reason. Then on the other hand I see s197 5.0, boss 302, gt350 and even GT350R. There are fewer GT350Rs built but ive seen more of those than the 8,xxx+ terminators built.

@stangfreak heres a stock motor/stock trans (with a circle D converter) 5.0 running 8.6:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
You’re wrong. Period.

The fun factor is much higher in the Terminator. It isnt up for debate.

I 100% agree with you on this. The Terminator is a very poor track car. It totally shines stoplight to stoplight and in the 1/4.
LOL, this is totally debatable.

You can spend 15 years drag racing in your terminator and someone in a coyote car can spend 1 track day (5 to 6 20+ minute sessions). The guy in the coyote spent more time driving his car for fun. Rather than going down the strip 12-seconds or less at a time. LOL not debatable. TF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread