Is the 03-04 Cobra the Beast it was 7-10+ Years Ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a lot like saying "Gay men statistically have 5x as much sex as straight men, think of how much more sex you could be having if you went gay!"

Also, I'm not sure why you feel the need to make personal quips. I am sure there are plenty of threads about broken Coyotes and busted MT82 transmissions.

The 2018 Car is fugly as hell, designed for the Euro Soy Boys. It's also roughly $40k, twice the price of most Cobras.

Lastly, the Rods are not forged in a Coyote. They are "sinter forged" which is code for "fancy powdered metal".

Fair enough.

I should note, however, that it’s been said the gen2+ coyote rods are some of the strongest ever placed into a mustang.

They are not true forged, correct, but tough as nails nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
cobra 4.6 has to huff down 8psi just to make less power at the crank than a bolton coyote makes to the wheels. Its incredible really...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
8.5:1 vs 11:1 will do that ya know...

Really? Care to explain that a little further?

All the Cobro's cant wait to hear that simply raising static compression 2.6 points will give them 50HP. And as an added bonus, they can take the blower off!

This oughta be good.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Last I checked, 4.6 modular struggled to hit 400rwhp NA on pump gas even with ported heads, cams and a good intake manifold. That is with high compression too. Given that was a few years ago last I looked. I remember a guy doing a build like this in an NA Cobra using a $2k intake manifold too. He flat out said, I don’t advise anyone else doing for the money involved.

Terminator heads only flow in the 230cfm range if I’m not mistaken. I’m willing to bet the coyote is well above that in stock form.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Last I checked, 4.6 modular struggled to hit 400rwhp NA on pump gas even with ported heads, cams and a good intake manifold. That is with high compression too. Given that was a few years ago last I looked. I remember a guy doing a build like this in an NA Cobra using a 2k intake manifold too. He flat out said, I don’t advise anyone else doing for the money involved.

Terminator heads only flow in the 230cfm range if I’m not mistaken. I’m willing to bet the coyote is well above that in stock form.

Exactly, Coletti drove an NA example like above and when he came back told the team to feed it alpo, because it was a dog. That in a nutshell is how the Terminator got a blower.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Rather cruise "uncomfortably" in this down the highway any day over a comfy coyote at the same hp... This car is 15yrs old and in 15yrs from now we'll be asking what's a coyote, but we'll all know what a terminator is...Still

038-1.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Rather cruise "uncomfortably" in this down the highway any day over a comfy coyote at the same hp... This car is 15yrs old and in 15yrs from now we'll be asking what's a coyote, but we'll all know what a terminator is...Still

TERMI 4life Brah!!!!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Last I checked, 4.6 modular struggled to hit 400rwhp NA on pump gas even with ported heads, cams and a good intake manifold. That is with high compression too. Given that was a few years ago last I looked. I remember a guy doing a build like this in an NA Cobra using a $2k intake manifold too. He flat out said, I don’t advise anyone else doing for the money involved.

i think stock coyotes as-cast do like 290cfm at .500" lift.

ive seen built 5.3L with ported C heads, cams and high compression struggle on the dyno. Unless you rev them to the moon you cant get power out of them. Which is exactly why almost no one in their right mind does NA builds with 4.6l modulars. Even ford knew they sucked without FI.

jaxbusa

Established Member
400 RWHP NA build
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/index.php?threads/400-RWHP-NA-build.1092545/

Claims it made 441 to the wheels with the following:

4.7L Forged Engine
Manley Flattop Pistons 10.8:1 CR
Ported 9 Thread C heads
Custom road race cams
Modified FR500 intake
Accufab TB
JLT air intake
SCT BA2600 MAF
1 3/4 ARH headers
3" ARH Catless X
2.5" Borla Stringers IRS
March damper/pulleys
Walbro 255lph

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

View attachment 1494781

yeah on SVTP maybe, to the rest of the world the coyote is a much more respected platform. You're already seeing coyotes swapped into much higher end cars around the globe. Porsches and BMWS..etc

To 99% of the world the terminator is indistinguishable from a v6 new edge but on the other hand almost everyone raves and rants about the coyotes.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I understand the "it factor" of the 03/04 Cobra. I really do. They are cool cars and i did in fact want one 15 years ago.

But to argue that they are still, today, the Michael Jordan of Ford Performance in 2018 is about as retarded as it gets.

15 years from now, the same will be said about the Coyote motor because new tech will be out making the Coyote look stupid.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
cobra 4.6 has to huff down 8psi just to make less power at the crank than a bolton coyote makes to the wheels. Its incredible really...

Last I checked, 4.6 modular struggled to hit 400rwhp NA on pump gas even with ported heads, cams and a good intake manifold. That is with high compression too. Given that was a few years ago last I looked.

Exactly, Coletti drove an NA example like above and when he came back told the team to feed it alpo, because it was a dog. That in a nutshell is how the Terminator got a blower.

Yeah but isn't this just attributed to technology simply getting better over the years? I see some trying to compare simple parts & combos, but there's more to it than that. Even how stuff is designed and fabricated these days vs early 00's is helping to achieve incredible gains in every aspect. Advancements like this now gives us 455hp base GT where not even a decade ago the GT had a whopping 305hp. I don't think any other example of mustang evolution over a decade has produced a 30-35% increase in powah, while also yielding far better economy and emissions.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
400 RWHP NA build
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/index.php?threads/400-RWHP-NA-build.1092545/

Claims it made 441 to the wheels with the following:

4.7L Forged Engine
Manley Flattop Pistons 10.8:1 CR
Ported 9 Thread C heads
Custom road race cams
Modified FR500 intake
Accufab TB
JLT air intake
SCT BA2600 MAF
1 3/4 ARH headers
3" ARH Catless X
2.5" Borla Stringers IRS
March damper/pulleys
Walbro 255lph

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
All that for 440rwhp. That is a $3k intake manifold I believe. Not to mention a forged shortblock, ported heads blah blah.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
For reference sake, Coyote’s with similar builds have gone over 560rwhp at stock compression ratios on pump and even more with added compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread