Is Lunch Not Sacred Anymore?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
This is why I love being a ferry driver for a dealer as I pretty much work at my own pace. And I also am away from everybody and so only have myself in said vehicle going to other dealerships and driving back.

quad

Established Member
I have found that the people always wanting meetings are the people who at home are lonely. Maybe it is just that way here but the guy that always wants meetings or always wants to go to meetings is usually the guy that is divorced with no children at home. The only way they get companionship.
Lol good observation! I work with a guy that fits your expression to a tee! Divorced, lives alone in an apartment. Always wants meetings to review things. Never actually gets involved in the details to fix things. When he does get involved screws it up or makes it worse.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I love meetings. Ill try to make them last as long as possible. If were going to get nothing accomplished, might as well get nothing accomplished for as long as possible.

But lunch? Nope, I'm out. My time, got a problem with it, take it up with CA labor board.

x10 on all above

That said, I had a Regional VP a few years back that would take us to lunch so we could “meet” every day he was in town. Lunch bill was never under $750 or so for 3 or 4 of us. Always took us to some of the finest dining in SoCal.

These lunch meetings would go for hours so by the time we got back to the office it was almost time to go home LOL.

My kind of lunch meetings!!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Stanger00

Established Member
I love meetings. Ill try to make them last as long as possible. If were going to get nothing accomplished, might as well get nothing accomplished for as long as possible.

But lunch? Nope, I'm out. My time, got a problem with it, take it up with CA labor board.

First 3 months of my new job I was all about meetings that my group had a small part in. We would just sit and listen. Then my work load changed and these meetings started taking away from my daily duties.

A couple weeks before I started 5 weeks of paternity leave I brought my work with me to meetings I knew I wouldn't have anything to provide. No reason for me to play catch-up when I can work in a useless meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
So, while still on original topic, what are your opinions on longer work days/ more pressure to skip vacation days, work ethic in general?

At my first job, you'd get fired if you sat down while working. The boss/owner had a security camera facing the work area and would watch us all day. That was ~16 years ago.

Now? I've seen people get away with some horrendous stuff. One guy slept all day every day for a year straight. Another guy would routinely steal shop equipment. One would throw full-on temper tantrums, swear profusely at employees, make sexual remarks daily. These wastes got away with it for a long time. A friend of mine got fired 12 years ago for falling asleep after he repeatedly asked to go home and was denied.

Again, this convo isn't about me- it's general talk about what's going on in the world.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
So, while still on original topic, what are your opinions on longer work days/ more pressure to skip vacation days, work ethic in general?

At my first job, you'd get fired if you sat down while working. The boss/owner had a security camera facing the work area and would watch us all day. That was ~16 years ago.

Now? I've seen people get away with some horrendous stuff. One guy slept all day every day for a year straight. Another guy would routinely steal shop equipment. One would throw full-on temper tantrums, swear profusely at employees, make sexual remarks daily. These wastes got away with it for a long time. A friend of mine got fired 12 years ago for falling asleep after he repeatedly asked to go home and was denied.

Again, this convo isn't about me- it's general talk about what's going on in the world.
Some jobs suck because of poor leadership and management.

People are promoted due to longevity instead of ability. Those that need to be rewarded are skipped over many times. This list can go on and on.

A non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
First 3 months of my new job I was all about meetings that my group had a small part in. We would just sit and listen. Then my work load changed and these meetings started taking away from my daily duties.

A couple weeks before I started 5 weeks of paternity leave I brought my work with me to meetings I knew I wouldn't have anything to provide. No reason for me to play catch-up when I can work in a useless meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how my Monday/Thursday production meetings are. I just sit in the back and zone out until I hear someone ask about a pump repair which doesn't happen very often.

CV355

_
Established Member
Some jobs suck because of poor leadership and management.

People are promoted due to longevity instead of ability. Those that need to be rewarded are skipped over many times. This list can go on and on.

"Rewarded" has a different meaning depending on the individual. At one point, I was "rewarded" with a promotion that was about 15 years early in my career. It wound up being an absolute nightmare and I regretted it terribly, so I purposefully took a demotion (did it not only for me, but also to say "I'm not being your shield anymore, deal with this **** yourselves"). Everyone who has had the role since had it 100x easier than I did. I wonder why.

I have seen idiots "rewarded" in a similar manner and they flourish, mainly because they have people like me doing the dirty work.

You rise to your level of incompetence. - Peter Principle. That doesn't mean that everyone in a high position is automatically an idiot, but it does explain how so many idiots do get into those positions.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
We have a morning meeting daily and it drives me crazy. People asking and talking about stuff just to sound more important than they really are. Working in the field I’m free to take lunches when and where I want, so that freedom remains with me still. CA is pretty strict on breaks, good state to be an employee in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Not at all, learn to say no!

At my current company I have a 37.5 hour work week, 35 hours in the summer since we're off early Fridays. I'm salary, some weeks I work 35, some I work 65, part of it. I decline meetings when I need to. If meeting doesn't give me any advantage over email, then I'll say so and move on. If a sales team wants to burn my time for a "meet and greet" then they're buying lunch. In the rare case that my boss has to get people together over lunchtime, they make sure lunch is provided.

At the end of the day you're in control of your time, own it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Lol good observation! I work with a guy that fits your expression to a tee! Divorced, lives alone in an apartment. Always wants meetings to review things. Never actually gets involved in the details to fix things. When he does get involved screws it up or makes it worse.

Christ and ya wonder why his marriage didn't work out :D

Ohio Snake

Established Member

I worked retail for 13 years and was burned out with the hours (8am to 5pm, 2pm to 10pm or sometimes 8am to 10 pm...5 days a week and xMas season sucked). To this very day, rarely go to a mall and if I do, I go in, get what I was after and get out.

I changed careers, became self employed and have an employee to do some of the work load. She is my right hand person and works full-time for me, but I treat her as an equal. If she completes her tasks early in the day, she can leave for the day ( without pay of course). She gets a monthly and quarterly bonus if revenues meet an increase goal over the pervious year......she wants to stay meet the goals.

Personally, family time is just as important as work time. I think family time can be balanced with work hours with the right support people.

I’m not a fan of extended work hours, missed vacations, work during vacations and missed lunches or breaks. If I don’t like it, why would I make an employee do it?

You can make all the money in the world, but if you don’t have the time to spend and enjoy some of it......you loose self esteem and become a slave. NOT GOOD!

A good interview with the right Q&A’s can weed out the people “needing a job” and those “wanting a career”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member
You're doing God's work my friend.

I usually work through the 15 minute breaks we get, or go for a walk.
If I'm working with someone, training/explaining something/etc, if it approaches break or lunch, I say "hey, let's reconnect afterwards." I prefer 1 on 1 interactions rather than meetings.

And remember. None of us is as dumb as all of us. :)

Side story: I sat through an engineering review meeting with another engineer. He told me about a little situation that was going on and I told him I had his back. We get to this meeting and he explains his design, goes through the motions, takes feedback, etc. Nothing bad so far. At the end of the meeting, we had an ADJACENT meeting for the same project. I am not kidding, everyone got up, picked up their laptops, went to another conference room, the SAME team sat back down and asked to see the updates discussed in the previous meeting. I called everyone out on it (Got talked to by HR afterwards). "So did I fall into the Twilight Zone or something? We just got finished discuss this. You were all there. We walked from one room to the other, sat down, and started asking about what happened during the 30 second walk? Is this reality? Come on ____, let's go get some actual work done and let these geniuses mull over nothing." Those employees are no longer at the company I work for.

Whats interesting is hearing from those who work for someone as opposed to someone who employs. I’m an employer. Im actually shocked at some of the crap employees put up with.

CV355

_
Established Member
Whats interesting is hearing from those who work for someone as opposed to someone who employs. I’m an employer. Im actually shocked at some of the crap employees put up with.

Had I not been sucked into the death spiral of "fine, if nobody else will step up, I will" and that crushed my dreams of starting my own company years prior. Just 3 years ago my mindset was to climb the ladder. Well, I did, and now my attitude is "let's climb down a rung every time I get pissed off, let someone else deal with what I have for far too long." It was like in a horror movie where the hallway stretches out infinitely as you're running down it.

As for employees putting up with BS... 80/20 rule applies everywhere. 20% of the employees do the majority of the work. 80% just sort of exist. Being a wageslave sucks but at least I can count on the paycheck. Starting my own company would be cool, but the ramp up would be a financial risk I'm not willing to take at the moment.

08mojo

Established Member

It goes both ways...I cannot believe some of the employees pull. There is a guy on our team, who contributes very little and travels a lot (we are project developers/managers). If you look at his travel schedule, it follows motorsports events around the county. It's obvious what he's doing to someone like me, but the bosses don't follow motorsports so they haven't caught on...yet. I feel his day is coming--such a shame because I really like the guy, but he's not pulling his weight.

As for employees putting up with BS... 80/20 rule applies everywhere. 20% of the employees do the majority of the work. 80% just sort of exist.

This is very true. The funny part is that it's so easy to measure where I work. We get X amount of capital to spend on projects and 10 of us are competing for the dollars. I spend >50% of the money every year, and have done so for the past 8 years...luckily I'm recognized for all of the work through promotions, but it still surprises me the people that continue to exist and collect a paycheck.

Users who are viewing this thread