Is Lunch Not Sacred Anymore?

Coiled03

Established Member
HAHAHAHA that never works. Ever. You assume people care about calendars? I used to work with a dimwit who would schedule 3 simultaneous meetings in the same room. And no, I've been out of college for 12 years.

Well then you ****ing decline it. Quit acting like you have no control over the situation, or what you do.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
At this point, I'm considering living in a shed and working at Walmart.

If it was every once in a while, sure. But having to schedule a lunch meeting multiple times a week because of inefficient/poor planning isn't a good business strategy.

And you're 100% right about small businesses.

HAHAHAHA that never works. Ever. You assume people care about calendars? I used to work with a dimwit who would schedule 3 simultaneous meetings in the same room. And no, I've been out of college for 12 years.

Work to live. Never live to work.

Fortunately I married very well and can live by these words and my father and I sold our business last May.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Tokens are a great idea. Let's talk about them over lunch.

Watch out! OP is a nut kicker.

On another note, certain aspects of my job require us to have mandatory meetings to go over coordination issues, quality control expectations and required paperwork for a complete installation along with authority acceptance.

Miss a meeting? Rip the work out and start again or beg for them to accept it under conditions(usually means a longer warranty).

If you work with the Army Corp of Engineers and dont hold your meetings? Better just stop yourself right there and pay to have it removed cause they will under no circumstances accept anything without the 3 phase meetings being 100% documented. The company signs a contract that you will abide by those project documents. Dont follow the requirements and its on you, not the authority. And ive seen them go to court over a single missed meeting. They have all the time and money to fight you in court over a claim. Its not worth it to the contractor to miss those meetings. Just do them, get things signed and go on with your day.

08mojo

Established Member
This thread makes me feel lucky about the meetings I have for work. We meet a lot, but the meetings are typically very efficient--meaning they are needed to keep everyone coordinated and the project moving forward.

I keep lunch meetings for people I don't really want to talk to/deal with their request.

Zemedici

Established Member
We were really hoping and planning to make the move this december. But, it appears it may be another 18 months. Im good with that.

Sent from my LG V30 ThinQ using the svtperformance.com mobile app

dumb question, so you literally just sell alllll your furniture and shit, and move over with the cashola to buy new stuff?

Never moved cross country

IA Shelby

Established Member
There are a number of factors that impact the need for meetings. Complexity of the industry, regulations, scope and financial impact. If you are needing to insure you have clear direction on a multi-million dollar initiative, sometimes a in person meeting is needed.

They are also things that are best not put in an email for discovery purposes.

I don’t disagree that most companies schedule way too many meetings but to suggest they are all meaningless Is an over statement.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
41949934_2268868806504835_6599731456673579008_n.jpg

CV355

_
Established Member
Work to live. Never live to work.
Fortunately I married very well and can live by these words and my father and I sold our business last May.

My family hasn't had good luck- they lost everything on both sides due to theft and natural disasters. Interestingly enough, that happened to me. Anyone know where Madam Zirone went? ;)

Well then you ****ing decline it. Quit acting like you have no control over the situation, or what you do.

Hmm, I don't get that option when I'm leading multiple projects or when I was managing a department. The only people that have that option are either useless to begin with or choose not to help. I skip 50% of the meetings I'm invited to now and skate by at that. The problem is that I get things done, and people like having me around (not because of my wonderful, optimistic personality), but because they know I don't pass bucks. I eat them and **** out sad excellence built on tears and insomnia.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
dumb question, so you literally just sell alllll your furniture and shit, and move over with the cashola to buy new stuff?

Never moved cross country

well, yeh. Kind of. The older I get, the more simple i get as far as attachments and things. we are only taking one car initially and our motto is, if it doesnt fit in her car, it doesnt go. Im selling my jeep and getting another one after we get settled. The actual move wont be as expensive because so many companies pay moving expenses.

I will be leaving our placed furnished here and will most likely rent it out to family.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
But have you ever had to have multiple meetings a year just to remind you not to rape people?

Coiled03

Established Member
Hmm, I don't get that option when I'm leading multiple projects or when I was managing a department. The only people that have that option are either useless to begin with or choose not to help. I skip 50% of the meetings I'm invited to now and skate by at that. The problem is that I get things done, and people like having me around (not because of my wonderful, optimistic personality), but because they know I don't pass bucks. I eat them and **** out sad excellence built on tears and insomnia.

If you're leading multiple projects, you get to schedule the meetings, no? If not, then I guess you aren't leading it, or not very well. If you're managing a department, see the previous statement. If your boss schedules a meeting over lunch, and the time gets your panties in a wad, propose a new time. Or are you scared of your boss?

Personally, if I have to work through my lunch time, I take that time off the end of my work day, and leave early. Zero ****s given.

CV355

_
Established Member
If you're leading multiple projects, you get to schedule the meetings, no? If not, then I guess you aren't leading it, or not very well. If you're managing a department, see the previous statement. If your boss schedules a meeting over lunch, and the time gets your panties in a wad, propose a new time. Or are you scared of your boss?

Personally, if I have to work through my lunch time, I take that time off the end of my work day, and leave early. Zero ****s given.

There is a difference between project lead and project manager. I've played both roles, sometimes on the same project. I can schedule meetings but I'm resourceful enough to not need them for the most part. If I need info from someone, I ask them directly. If someone needs info from me, I request that they ask me directly instead of using meetings as an inefficient conduit.

You seem to have all the answers- I'd invite you to take my job so I can go home and sleep :) My intention with this thread was to get some Dilbert-esque laughs in. I'm not trying to solve the world- that's not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread