Is Lunch Not Sacred Anymore?

Zemedici

Established Member
Coiled's approach (albeit the same way I view life) is like this : if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

You're saying you cannot do ANYTHING about these meetings? Are you salary or hourly?

So there's zero possibility you can get away for an hour to get some peace and quiet? Come on man....what is this, a Nike factory?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
sk75w.jpg

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
You seem to have all the answers- I'd invite you to take my job so I can go home and sleep :) My intention with this thread was to get some Dilbert-esque laughs in. I'm not trying to solve the world- that's not going to happen.

I'm not tooting my own horn about how awesome I am, but yeah, I'm pretty damn good at solving problems.

Anyhow, my apologies. It came off as a bitch-about-work thread (at least to me), so I thought you needed advice.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
well, yeh. Kind of. The older I get, the more simple i get as far as attachments and things. we are only taking one car initially and our motto is, if it doesnt fit in her car, it doesnt go. Im selling my jeep and getting another one after we get settled. The actual move wont be as expensive because so many companies pay moving expenses.

I will be leaving our placed furnished here and will most likely rent it out to family.
Don't forget to pack your paranormal oddity.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
Coiled's approach (albeit the same way I view life) is like this : if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

You're saying you cannot do ANYTHING about these meetings? Are you salary or hourly?

So there's zero possibility you can get away for an hour to get some peace and quiet? Come on man....what is this, a Nike factory?

See below. Salary.

I'm not tooting my own horn about how awesome I am, but yeah, I'm pretty damn good at solving problems.

Anyhow, my apologies. It came off as a bitch-about-work thread (at least to me), so I thought you needed advice.

I'm just kidding around man, no need to apologize. I'm of the same mindset, and would give the same advice to someone else.

This is less about me and more about in general. I have tactics to get out of meetings and God knows I use them. I observe more meetings than I attend. I've been doing a HELL of a lot better with the work/life balance thing than previous years- still a ways to go but improved nonetheless.

Conference rooms are as booked as stalls. Both produce the same output. :)

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
LOL, we have "Hawaiian Shirt-BBQ Fridays", BBQ lunches, food brought in for lunches as often as I have everyone here.

A lunch meeting, or a meeting during lunch time should be compensated by the employer in some manner. if it is not, your employer does not care about his/her (whatever pronoun you prefer) employees.

Of course our people come in early, stay late, and will just about do anything when it is needed to help the company.

This is why small business wins.

E
Kinda this. Only real meetings we have are with the construction crew, and donuts and coffee are provided. These are 7 am meetings, and rare because all my guys are really good.
Small business for the win as mentioned, but we’re a big small one.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
At this point, I'm considering living in a shed and working at Walmart.

If it was every once in a while, sure. But having to schedule a lunch meeting multiple times a week because of inefficient/poor planning isn't a good business strategy.

And you're 100% right about small businesses.

HAHAHAHA that never works. Ever. You assume people care about calendars? I used to work with a dimwit who would schedule 3 simultaneous meetings in the same room. And no, I've been out of college for 12 years.

5 years at Walmart. Wasn’t great some days, but I liked it and am trying to get back in while I finish the last part of schooling next year. The 10% discount came in handy a lot of times

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Preach it. The inefficiency in some of the offices today are amazing.

I will never schedule or allow myself to be scheduled for a lunch meeting. That's my time. And **** you very much.

What I do do is schedule meetings just before lunch or, better still, one hour before quitting time. That tends to motivate people to keep it on topic.

My other pet peeve?? E-mails. We have about 60 people in our office. We are all within 100' of each other. Maybe a short walk outside to get to our other building. Yet we'll have these e-mail spasm where if the originator would've just gotten up, walked 10', and spoke with the recipient it would be a 2 minute conversation and the issue would've been resolved. Instead we send an e-mail and copy 30 people, all of which feel the need to add their $0.02. I'm constantly chasing folks for this. In our business each person on an e-mail cost the company roughly $50. Stop the e-mails!! Pick up the damn phone. Document convo via e-mail as needed...

ATX5.0

Established Member
Preach it. The inefficiency in some of the offices today are amazing.

I will never schedule or allow myself to be scheduled for a lunch meeting. That's my time. And **** you very much.

What I do do is schedule meetings just before lunch or, better still, one hour before quitting time. That tends to motivate people to keep it on topic.

My other pet peeve?? E-mails. We have about 60 people in our office. We are all within 100' of each other. Maybe a short walk outside to get to our other building. Yet we'll have these e-mail spasm where if the originator would've just gotten up, walked 10', and spoke with the recipient it would be a 2 minute conversation and the issue would've been resolved. Instead we send an e-mail and copy 30 people, all of which feel the need to add their $0.02. I'm constantly chasing folks for this. In our business each person on an e-mail cost the company roughly $50. Stop the e-mails!! Pick up the damn phone. Document convo via e-mail as needed...
Sounds like we work for the same company. Haha

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I don’t ever have meetings to go to but, being a service advisor you don’t get a lunch break lol.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I love meetings. Ill try to make them last as long as possible. If were going to get nothing accomplished, might as well get nothing accomplished for as long as possible.

But lunch? Nope, I'm out. My time, got a problem with it, take it up with CA labor board.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I get emails from my PM sometimes 8,9 pm
Sometimes even on Sunday makes me lulz

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I instituted a rule at my firm, meetings are standing only unless its with a client present. Meetings went from 30% of my day to 1%. People figured out email / phone solves everything that used to take a meeting with 10 people.

Users who are viewing this thread