iPhone 8 & 10

quad

Established Member
What was Apple thinking with that notch for the X? They should have elongated the phone and dedicated the top portion for the cameras. But the notch over the screen is just silly and I don't like how videos or photos are clipped by it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-x-notch-2017-9

iphonexnotchhh.png

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
They wanted a "bezel free" design, but I bet ambient light from the display wreaked hazard on the front facing sensors for face id or something during early prototype testing. It's the only thing that sort of makes sense to me.

It's not my favorite design choice, but it doesn't really bother me either. I'm sure in a year or two it will disappear.

quad

Established Member
They wanted a "bezel free" design, but I bet ambient light from the display wreaked hazard on the front facing sensors for face id or something during early prototype testing. It's the only thing that sort of makes sense to me.

It's not my favorite design choice, but it doesn't really bother me either. I'm sure in a year or two it will disappear.
Well having that notch as a permanent fixture over videos and photos prevents you from seeing all the content. That's like having a watermark on a website over all the content. I think that was a mistake.

The Samsung Note 8 looks great with a black bar top and bottom. I prefer that over the X.

Note8-Front-S-Pen-Orchidgray

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Well having that notch as a permanent fixture over videos and photos prevents you from seeing all the content. That's like having a watermark on a website over all the content. I think that was a mistake.

The Samsung Note 8 looks great with a black bar top and bottom. I prefer that over the X.

Note8-Front-S-Pen-Orchidgray

It doesn't have to. You choose the aspect ratio you want to view it in from what I understand. Either "full screen" where the notch cuts into the image, or a slightly smaller one with no cutout.

quad

Established Member
It doesn't have to. You choose the aspect ratio you want to view it in from what I understand. Either "full screen" where the notch cuts into the image, or a slightly smaller one with no cutout.
That would help a lot. Users should have the option to view squared content unaltered by rounded corners and the notch.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'm on day three with my Note 8, and it is everything my Note 7 was, but better. I loved that phone. They literally had to force me the send it back. Once you learn all of the tricks you can do with the stylus, you can't use a phone without it. The Iphone X is in no way without a bezel. It literally has a 4mm bezel all the way around the screen. It reminds me of the Iphone 3 with the way it looks. Just larger and more screen real estate.

history-of-iphone-3gs-hero.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It should definitely help with iPhone costs anyways. All the TV manufacturers are working on lowering the cost for OLED.

Unfortunately I don't think the next gen iPhones with OLED will drop below 1k regardless of material costs. I think the iPhone x will prove there are more than enough people who are willing to pay 1k for an iPhone.

I recently bought a 65" 2016 Samsung 4k hdr led tv for 1k
Let's not forget that the latest Samsung S8 goes for $850. That's big money, too. The Note 8 starts are $930. The iPhone 8 starts at $699 and the 8+ starts at $799. The cost of high end smart phones are pretty much all over $700.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The great thing is that they will just charge you monthly for the phone with no interest. I got the Note 8 for half price, or else I would be waiting a little longer for a discount.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm on day three with my Note 8, and it is everything my Note 7 was, but better. I loved that phone. They literally had to force me the send it back. Once you learn all of the tricks you can do with the stylus, you can't use a phone without it. The Iphone X is in no way without a bezel. It literally has a 4mm bezel all the way around the screen. It reminds me of the Iphone 3 with the way it looks. Just larger and more screen real estate.

history-of-iphone-3gs-hero.jpg
That iPhone 3 looks so tiny. LOL.

Zemedici

Established Member
Let's not forget that the latest Samsung S8 goes for $850. That's big money, too. The Note 8 starts are $930. The iPhone 8 starts at $699 and the 8+ starts at $799. The cost of high end smart phones are pretty much all over $700.

they're all around the same price point, yet iphones are 'omg way too expensive'

hahahaha

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The S8 starts at $720, $20 more than the iPhone 8. The S8+ is $820. The iPhone X is almost $300 more than the comparable S8 and IMO thats a huge jump! Almost 40% more! I dont mind paying a premium for all the features is has and can be used for. Sure it can cost more than a laptop or PC, but its practically a “DSLR" Waterproof PC with long lasting battery than can charge quick and take phone calls. Plus my S8 came with a free 64 SD card lol so 128GB without paying a penny more!

This doesnt bode too well. I never really had any issue with the IRIS scan on my S8, I like it. Especially since it saves online passwords and gets unlocked on the fly without me inputting anything.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I caught the fail also live during the Keynote. My Note 8 unlocks so well with iris and face recognition that it doesn't even seem to be locked.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I caught the fail also live during the Keynote. My Note 8 unlocks so well with iris and face recognition that it doesn't even seem to be locked.
Have you tried to fool it? Some reporter was saying he was able to unlock several of them with pictures off of face book put in front of the phone.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I tried yesterday, and could not get access with any photos of myself.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Have you tried to fool it? Some reporter was saying he was able to unlock several of them with pictures off of face book put in front of the phone.
That was the issue with the older nonexistent Note 7. The S8 upped the security measures and im sure the Note 8 went even higher on it. So that’s not a problem with the current Samsung phones anymore.

To my knowledge, the only one’s who were able to do it were German Hackers thru a IR picture printed out by a lazer printer and using contact lenses. These hackers were also able to hack the IDTouch from the iPhone, so go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread