iPhone 8 & 10

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That was the issue with the older nonexistent Note 7. The S8 upped the security measures and im sure the Note 8 went even higher on it. So that’s not a problem with the current Samsung phones anymore.

To my knowledge, the only one’s who were able to do it were German Hackers thru a IR picture printed out by a lazer printer and using contact lenses. These hackers were also able to hack the IDTouch from the iPhone, so go figure.
Oh the thing I read mentioned the S8 directly. I'll see if I can find it.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That was the issue with the older nonexistent Note 7. The S8 upped the security measures and im sure the Note 8 went even higher on it. So that’s not a problem with the current Samsung phones anymore.

To my knowledge, the only one’s who were able to do it were German Hackers thru a IR picture printed out by a lazer printer and using contact lenses. These hackers were also able to hack the IDTouch from the iPhone, so go figure.
That's a worm hole if there is one. I don't even know what to search by to find the original post, just a million other links about some privacy concerns with it and a few videos.

Samsung did mention in one article that the face recognition is not secure enough to use Samsung pay though.

I did find that video of the german hackers though that I think you were talking about, they took a picture with a camera, printed it off on paper, put a contact lens on it and it worked really well to get into the phone.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
maybe they'll follow Tesla's lead. oh, you want facial recognition to work all the time? that's the premium package. we'll unlock it temporarily during this hurricane for no charge, because we care.

quad

Established Member
Iirc they addressed it during the keynote.
In my opinion the notch was a mistake and I doubt Steve Jobs would have approved it. They could have easily placed it on the top without overlapping the screen. I know they were trying to reduce the size of the phone and still have a large screen but you gotta compromise somewhere and they decided to do this by notching out the screen. I can't believe Ive signed off on it. This feels like a concept car that is not resolved yet. I will not get a X because of this. I will either go with the Note 8 or iPhone 8 Plus.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/16306298/apple-iphone-x-screen-notch

http://bgr.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-features-face-id-notch/

Last edited:

quad

Established Member

Attachments

• iphonex.JPG
    iphonex.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 93

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
In my opinion the notch was a mistake and I doubt Steve Jobs would have approved it. They could have easily placed it on the top without overlapping the screen. I know they were trying to reduce the size of the phone and still have a large screen but you gotta compromise somewhere and they decided to do this by notching out the screen. I can't believe Ive signed off on it. This feels like a concept car that is not resolved yet. I will not get a X because of this. I will either go with the Note 8 or iPhone 8 Plus.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/16306298/apple-iphone-x-screen-notch

http://bgr.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-features-face-id-notch/

I'm kind of done with samsung. If I get another android, it will be the pixel 2 which will be announced Oct. 4th.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It could have looked like this which is better than the notch design.

Maybe there was not a border on the bottom and only on the top?

https://twitter.com/matthijsklaver/status/907696712516595720/photo/1

That looks like the LG G6. I don't mind the notch at. Most of my wallpaper the upper 2% is just sky or ceiling anyway and you can set your background to where it looks like there is a top border.

Headphone jack missing is only a worry if you need to charge at the same time. With wireless charging this is a non issue to me.

Cost is what$50 above the note 8 which is great looking phone. I know, no expandable memory....
It comes down to, want the apple or want the Android. For me I don't like androids adds or gimmicks. It just does not run as smoothly as the I platform. At least for me.

quad

Established Member
I actually had a Microcell (actually THREE of them - all were provided at no cost to me) when I was with AT&T for a year and a half. Like yours, mine was in my basement near my office window. Without the Microcell I had less than 1 bar. With the Microcell, 2-3 bars. But, the first two Microcells failed after only about 2 months of usage each. Like you said, it was a pain in the butt to keep it up and running. Out of the blue it would suddenly stop working and I'd have to re-start it. Sometimes it would like over an hour to get it back up. I finally told AT&T that I wanted out of my contract. They said 'no', not unless you pay the early termination fee. I said, "bye bye". It was worth it to swallow the pain of the ETF just to be free of AT&T inability to provide me adequate coverage without having to use a secondary device that frequently shut down. It the Microcell would stay up as well as my router and modem does, I'd be happy. But unfortunately, that's not the case. :(

My Verizon coverage is fine most of the time. I rarely drop a call. Fortunately. LOL. I do use wireless calling, which for me works pretty good.

As we become more and more dependent on cellular (we ditched our land line), up time and signal strength do become factors of importance.

You mentioned that the Microcell might be a health hazard. I just did a Google search on that and the concensus seems to be that there hasn't been enough studies done to confirm the potential microwave dangers from Microcells. So I guess if it is even a small concern for you, I'd move it to another location that limits exposure. Like your attic. But again, there's not a lot of evidence either way, just concerns over "potential" health risks.
Lol yes Bob, those Microcells are a pain. Fortunately ours has worked for the past 3-4 years. I am going to hook it up to a UPS along with the modem so the service never goes down during a power outage. If power is out for many hours the generator will be utilized. I also read up on the Microcell heatlh hazard and not really sure what to make of it. I doubt the Microcell will do well in the attic with the extreme temperatures (hot and cold) it would be exposed to.

Wifi calling worked well when I tested it initially but I found people would complain not hearing me or the call breaking up when I move around and the WIFI signal changes. And I have an amplifier on the first level to enhance the signal. There are many 2.4GHZ signals from neighbors around us creating clashes. 5GHZ fairs better but the signal does not travel as far as 2.4GHZ. I am going to add a couple of WIFI hotspots in a few rooms which should really help and perhaps then WIFI calling will work better.

quad

Established Member
That looks like the LG G6. I don't mind the notch at. Most of my wallpaper the upper 2% is just sky or ceiling anyway and you can set your background to where it looks like there is a top border.

Headphone jack missing is only a worry if you need to charge at the same time. With wireless charging this is a non issue to me.

Cost is what$50 above the note 8 which is great looking phone. I know, no expandable memory....
It comes down to, want the apple or want the Android. For me I don't like androids adds or gimmicks. It just does not run as smoothly as the I platform. At least for me.
I've never had an Android phone. What are these ads you're mentioning? That would be a deal killer for me. The only ads I get with the iPhone are on Pandora.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I keep getting android system and such on top of my screen or android ui as notifications. I keep trying to turn them off from my top screen or lock screen but nothing is working so far.

I've also noticed the ui is not as smooth and locks up more.

Last edited:

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I keep getting android system and such on top of my screen or android ui as notifications. I keep trying to turn them off from my top screen or lock screen but nothing is working so far.

Can you post a screenshot of them?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Lol yes Bob, those Microcells are a pain. Fortunately ours has worked for the past 3-4 years. I am going to hook it up to a UPS along with the modem so the service never goes down during a power outage. If power is out for many hours the generator will be utilized. I also read up on the Microcell heatlh hazard and not really sure what to make of it. I doubt the Microcell will do well in the attic with the extreme temperatures (hot and cold) it would be exposed to.

Wifi calling worked well when I tested it initially but I found people would complain not hearing me or the call breaking up when I move around and the WIFI signal changes. And I have an amplifier on the first level to enhance the signal. There are many 2.4GHZ signals from neighbors around us creating clashes. 5GHZ fairs better but the signal does not travel as far as 2.4GHZ. I am going to add a couple of WIFI hotspots in a few rooms which should really help and perhaps then WIFI calling will work better.
WiFi Calling works great for me, hardly have any issues. Another reason why I left Verizon, it started to get spotty at my house and work and T-Mo was working much better. It took verizon about 2 years to get WiFi calling lol

I've never had an Android phone. What are these ads you're mentioning? That would be a deal killer for me. The only ads I get with the iPhone are on Pandora.
Not sure what he’s talking about, the only ads I get are the app adds which pretty much all can be disabled from the notifcation center. Its no different than iAD that Apple has for app devs.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

I've seen weird shit like this before. My mom's old S5 somehow had ads in the settings menu.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Friggin Verizon stop doing the upgrade plans on their phones. I have a 6s now and was thinking about getting a 7 since the 8's are coming out. Any of you guys know of any deals to be had with the 7 iPhones? Becaues I'm not going to pay $600 for a phone, much less 1,000 dollars. I'm used to dropping $50 and being done with it.

Could I just go to Best Buy or some other place and buy the phone at a much lower rate and have Verizon activate it for me?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Friggin Verizon stop doing the upgrade plans on their phones. I have a 6s now and was thinking about getting a 7 since the 8's are coming out. Any of you guys know of any deals to be had with the 7 iPhones? Becaues I'm not going to pay $600 for a phone, much less 1,000 dollars. I'm used to dropping $50 and being done with it.
That's stupid.

All the more reason to move to a different carrier if you can.

I'm looking at a few different options now, unfortunately, T Mobile looks the best but they aren't as cheap as I want.

Users who are viewing this thread