Iowa Picnic/Get Together

Date of Picnic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Where is the location going to be? Therees a bunch of different places being thrown around.....

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Iowa City definitely isn't out of reach for those of us around Des Moines, but if we're gonna have some Nebraska guys coming, do we wanna move it that far east?

Maybe we could try to do something else out east later in the year, like say if we can have some kind of track day at one of the tracks out that way.

Doesn't matter much to me, though. Just throwing around ideas. :)

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
thats too far for me, Des Moines is as far as I am willing to drive. What about here and on the 20th or 27th since it would be closer to May so weather may most likely be nicer. Just throwing that out there for my suggestion.

Eric91Z

Established Member
I think Iowa City is a good choice. IDK… I was thinking a hooters or maybe Buffalo Wild Wings? Like Yellowshaker03 said there is the Coralville Res. What ever is fine with me I'm just throwing out some ideas! I’m sure I can bring 5+ mustangs.

There is a good Hooter's and BWW here in the Des Moines/West Des Moines area with plenty parking area. Good visability for the cars. Maybe eat and then do a cruise up to Saylorville/Big Creek and get some group pictures.

Shoot, Hooter's would be nice and get some pcitures with the girls and the cars.

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
thats too far for me, Des Moines is as far as I am willing to drive. What about here and on the 20th or 27th since it would be closer to May so weather may most likely be nicer. Just throwing that out there for my suggestion.

Hey thats only two miles from my house, its a very nice lake, with camping and all that good stuff.

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
I guess its not a big deal wherever it is, if its close to Saliorville then its really close to where my baby came from (got her at Dewy Ford) and it would be kinda cool, like were going back to when we first met or something. But I should be able to bring 3 more Stangs along with me, theres word that one of em might be able to coax some more owners to make the trip too. Seeing how most of you guys are in the Quad City, Des Moines and sorrounding areas I understand that it would make more sence if its closer to you. I'm planning to make it a 'road trip' with some friends coming out of the CR area so if anyones in Marion feel free to PM me if you would like to go with us.

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
I suppose we could everybodys home town and then get a map and find the median of where everybodys from and then it would be more centralized of sorts? just a thought.

zeus201

Established Member
I'm from Ames and not opposed to driving anywhere, I would think Des Moines area which would be a 1 1/2 hour drive from Iowa City. We would then do another get together later in the year meet closer to other people's area.

I would think that the last weekend in April would be a great time. I always remember that part of the year being PERFECT cruising and horsepower weather. I'm hoping this turns out to be something awesome!

:banana::banana::banana:

BM1

Established Member
Sometime in May would probably be best. I don't know if my car will be done by the end of April.

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
even if it isnt done at least we can try to get it done by than. Give us a goal.

Eric91Z

Established Member
OK, I put my vote in for April 26th. Something that afternoon or even something on Sunday, April 27th would work for me.

03snkvert

Established Member
*PLEASE PICK OPTIONS AFTER THIS POST*

Ok guys, let do this! I cant figure out how to change the Poll yet so I will put this in here!

New options, we will take out the first two (2) weeks in April and add the first three (3) weeks in May and I will add Sundays:

1. Saturday April 19th
2. Sunday April 20th

3. Saturday April 26th
4. Sunday April 27th

5. Saturday May 3rd
6. Sunday May 4th

7. Saturday May10th
8. Sunday May 11th

9. Saturday May 17th
10. Sunday May 18th

Next Option: Location (generaal)

1. Meet at a restaurant and cruise to a state park for some good pics

2. Have a Pot Luck at a State park without a lot of driving

I am going to put together a list of all the locations of members and then try to pick a central location so one person isn't driving forever. If some of the Nebraska guys want to come, a central location is around Des Moines. If the Nebraska guys don't want to come then we could do Iowa City or Coralville! Once I have the list we can select a location.

Please post up again after this thread and I will compile a list of the dates, member locations and locations for the meet and then we can start narrowing it down to Finalize a date.

I understand we cant always pick a location to make everyone happy, but we will try. We can do this a couple times, and try to pick a location closer to you if we have too.

Last edited:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
April 26/27th weekend seems the most likely to be ideal temperature-wise, but the dates are pretty open for me as long as I have notice. I believe someone said that Saturdays didn't work for them, so if Sunday isn't an issue for anyone we might wanna go with that.

I'd prefer a potluck style thing at a park, but a restaurant could be cool too, especially if the guys driving a long distance don't want to have food riding in their backseat for 2-3 hours.

The location is a bit of a different issue. I'm not opposed to travelling... It would be fun for us DM/Ames guys to meet up and cruise out to wherever we're gonna meet, if it's somewhere outside of our area. The biggest issue is if distance is going to exclude anyone.

To start off, I think we need to look at whether or not having it around Des Moines is going to exclude any of the Iowa guys. If it is, I think we need to move it east for them. If it's not, then keeping it near Des Moines so the Nebraska guys can come along too would be best.

So, for you Iowa guys... would a meet near the Des Moines area be too far for you to travel? If so, give us your location so we can see what we can find in-between.

Last edited:

03snkvert

Established Member
I want to get the best turnout possible for this, we will try and accommodate as many people as possible, but it will probably favor the Iowa guys. If this excludes some of the Nebraska guys, maybe we can meet up in council bluffs sometime this year also!

zeus201

Established Member
1st poll = #3

2nd poll = #1 I think it would be cool to take up a restaurants parking lot full of Mustangs, Cobra's, Lightings or whatever else. Then have a cruise to a state park and take photos.

edit: Thanks for the catch Corey!

Last edited:

03snkvert

Established Member
1st poll = #3

2nd poll = #2 I think it would be cool to take up a restaurants parking lot full of Mustangs, Cobra's, Lightings or whatever else. Then have a cruise to a state park and take photos.

So, Do you mean #1 on the second poll?

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
I agree with the restaurant idea. It would be awesome to have a bunch of sweet local stangs all in one spot where we can get some grub!

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Daytona's could be a good place for that. Good atmosphere for cars, and if we did cruise to Saylorville it'd be a smooth ride up Merle Hay Rd and up past Camp Dodge to cross the mile long bridge and hit through Polk City to a shelter down on the Ankeny side of the lake.

It'd be a nice route for some decent exposure that time of year, lots of people around that area when it's nice out. Decent scenery too with the military base and the bridge, and we wouldn't waste our cruise on interstate driving like that mustang club thing we did.

Last edited:

03snkvert

Established Member
Daytonas would be cool, but I don't know if they have enough parking (depending on the turnout) Hooters on the other hand has a large lot next to them!

Users who are viewing this thread