Installing cams in a DOHC 99 Cobra

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
na svt said:
Not true. Show me somone who has made more power with a stock shortblock than Nazman did. He had FR500s and made 410rwhp and now makes over 450 rwhp n/a with those same cams.

Again, you do not know what you are talking about.

If he had "bigger" bumpsticks in his motor he would make more power. He is making all that power from him BB, heads and the Fr500 intake you idiot.

Do you have cams in your motor?

Have you seen someone install Fr500 cams and then later install some stg 2 comps?

No you havnt, I have.

Its obvious that the Fr500 cams are a "small" cam in comparison to most others and anybody that knows their cams would understand this.

Im sure Naz will chime in here and he has said before he wish he had went with a bigger cam.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
From what i've seen, the fr500 is pretty good for an NA cam. Not very good for blown motors.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:

If he had "bigger" bumpsticks in his motor he would make more power. He is making all that power from him BB, heads and the Fr500 intake you idiot. WTF?

Do you have cams in your motor? Yes

Have you seen someone install Fr500 cams and then later install some stg 2 comps? Why yes I have!and what does that have to do with anything?

No you havnt, I have.

Its obvious that the Fr500 cams are a "small" cam in comparison to most others and anybody that knows their cams would understand this. Well, you don't what is obvious is that most aftermarket 4V cams are too aggressive.

Im sure Naz will chime in here and he has said before he wish he had went with a bigger cam.

Why all the name calling? I ask again, what has put out more power than an FR500 cammed motor?

Yes, I do have aftermarket cams and I know what works well in a 4V motor. The FR500 cams, though somewhat mild, have a lot of overlap. This is a resuly of the quite lengthy advertised duration (when compared to their duration @.050). For example, Naz said that he thinks that he would have liked [email protected] better than the .204/.214 of the FR500s. Well, my cams have [email protected] but have about the same advertised duration as the FR500 cams, mine are 255/253 and the FR500s are 255/258. The major difference is in the lobe centers. The FR500 lobe centers are at 109 (for both the intake and exhaust). This tight lobe center combined with the long advertised duration makes the overlap 38deg which is more than enough...as shown by how much power he makes. My cams have a 112 lobe center with the intake at 112 and an overlap of only 30 deg. Longer duration cams would have much more overlap if the lsa was kept at 109 so they would have to be opened up to say 114 or more to keep the overlap manageable (only if driveability is a concern. If not, the lower rpm power would be reduced and the peak power rpm would be so high that it would be unusable.

The FR500 cams are about the most efficient cams for a 4.6 that you can buy.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:

If he had "bigger" bumpsticks in his motor he would make more power. He is making all that power from him BB, heads and the Fr500 intake you idiot.

BTW, he also made over 370rwhp without the intake. Who has made more? I do know of a lot more people who have made less with bigger cams. I do however know of another who has made over 360 with FR500 cams, stock intake and no porting.

So, I ask once again, where are all those big cammed high power engines?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
98-LS1 said:
Damn 450 at the wheels is impressive N/A, especially on a 4.6L
I bet it cost alot to get that kind of power though but holy shit I bet that car pulls like no other, traction is probably non existent though.

It's a big bore motor with ported FR500 heads, cams, intake and compression in the 11s...I think.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Ya know I wasn't tryin' to start an argument about the FR500 cams, I just wanted to present them as an option which is what the original thread starter asked about. Seems to me, just from what I've read around here and other places, that the FR500 cams + ported '99/'01 heads + ported stock intake would be a pretty potent combination . . . maybe 50 - 65 hp n/a?

I know the thread starter didn't ask about all of that, I'm just sayin' if you're trying to build a 350+ hp n/a motor w/o going to an increase in displacement, this is a pretty option if you're on a tight budget.

98-LS1

Established Member
Thanks, that sounds like a great option. Now who carries the FR 500 cams? Again I'm not too familiar with Ford vendors, parts, etc.. so I'm doing my best to figure this out. Thanks for all the help!

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Steve doesnt sell them? Look at the sticky at the top. The thread for ford parts discounted.

SSeatr

Established Member
steves got them...whats nice about when you buy the cams you get a whole new valvetrain for $1450 rather then $1000 for cams $400 for springs ect..

the fr500 you get cams, springs, retainers, rockers EVERYTHING

but id go through steve(fordsvtparts) ive bought parts off him before hes very good to deal with..

i was also tossed up with doing fr500 cams or comp stg 2 or crower stg 2 fr that matter..im still undecided

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
well let me tell you this.

I HAVE the Fr500 cams and I wish I would have gotten some stg 2 comps...

take it with a grain of salt.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
SSeatr said:
i was also tossed up with doing fr500 cams or comp stg 2 or crower stg 2 fr that matter..im still undecided

The best thing you can do before you purchase cams is to see what has worked for others; e.t.s, dyno sheets, driveability, etc.. I also talked to soome tuners who have tuned cars with very aggressive cams (240deg @.050 and longer). I opted for cams inthe [email protected] range and they have worked great. My unported B head, n/a motor made over 350rwhp and gets over 20mpg hwy with 4.10s. The idle is smooth and there are no tuning issues at all.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
na svt said:
The best thing you can do before you purchase cams is to see what has worked for others; e.t.s, dyno sheets, driveability, etc.. I also talked to soome tuners who have tuned cars with very aggressive cams (240deg @.050 and longer). I opted for cams inthe [email protected] range and they have worked great. My unported B head, n/a motor made over 350rwhp and gets over 20mpg hwy with 4.10s. The idle is smooth and there are no tuning issues at all.

i would have to agree with that, my car runs good and no tuning issues.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
i would have to agree with that, my car runs good and no tuning issues.

Do you have a stock intake (no short runner)? If so, no amount of cam will provide any large gains. Longer duration cams with the stock intake will not be a good idea becaue you will lose bottom end while gaining very little up top...unless you open up the LSA a bunch. You should have a couple inches removed from the runners and I bet you'll pick up 20-25rwhp.

BTW, Comp does not have stg I, II, or III cams. What part number of the seven n/a grinds they offer do you wish you had?

What are you dynoing now?

Last edited:

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
I have a built motor with ported 03 heads/ Fr500 cams and a cut and ported intake w/ a vortech. Im not n/a anymore.

I think I meant crower, but yea you know what I mean.

I put down 520rwhp on ONLY 9psi. So those heads and cams are working awesome for me!

Who said Fr500 cams arnt for forced induction??? HAHA

Nazman

Established Member
NA SVT coments are right on.

Cam(s) install on the 4Vs could be intimidating but not too bad if the motor is out the car.

The selection of cams for the 4V is some what limited (when compared to SBC/SBF) but they do thier job.

The cams could be expensive, for some billet sticks you are looking at o/a 1000 bones. Springs, even know may not be necesary depending on cam duration/lift they should be a must do at the time.

The best bang for the buck is the FR500 Hi-Lift Cam Kit (Cams, Hi-Flow Valves, 1.82 Followers, Valve Seals and Cam Bolts) for o/a 1150 bones (may be more now, but that is what I paid for mine).

Some very important, offten overlooked key on making addtional power with these motor is 1. Cam Degreeing and 2. Valve Lappping.

Also, with the cams come other supporting mods like: CAI/RAI, Ported Cut-Plenum Intake, Headers/Mid Pipe, and some gears.

Also, the short turn radi on the C-heads could be improved upon, the area behind the valve seat when cut at the manufacturing proccess was cut a little too deep, creating an almost 180* before the short turn disminishing flow. I spend lots of time working the short turn, poket/throat area when I do my "ports work".

Let us know how it comes out!

Naz

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
I have a built motor with ported 03 heads/ Fr500 cams and a cut and ported intake w/ a vortech. Im not n/a anymore.

I think I meant crower, but yea you know what I mean.

I put down 520rwhp on ONLY 9psi. So those heads and cams are working awesome for me!

Who said Fr500 cams arnt for forced induction??? HAHA

I's say you can pick up another 20-25 with shorter runners. Also, longer duration cams would mean more overlap and for FI that would not neccessarily be good.

Electric994V

Established Member
Torch10th said:
350rwhp is hard to acheive on the stock block without use of cams honestly. The compression needs bumped a bit. But with the following you can make a good dent into 350rwhp.

intake
long-tubes/mid-pipe/catback
March pullies
ported/polished lower intake (cut)
dyno tune

This is probably more on the order of a 320-330rwhp combination. Use of other lightweight driveline components such as aluminum flywheels and driveshafts will likely free up a few more ponies, but not a lot.

Unless it's a factory freak... :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread