In search for more aero

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Seal up the radiator, vent air out of the engine compartment, direct it around the front tires, add some cheap rubber side rocker flaps that are low enough and self clearance (ala mid 80's Dodge Daytona Z's), nice big effective wing on the back THEN worry about the air exiting the rear of the vehicle.
Please provide some more indepth explanation to venting air out of the engine compartment via around the front tires. Are you suggesting cutting holes in the sides and fender well liners? I also don't understand what you are referring to about "cheap rubber side rocker flaps". Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'd love to get the air to exit from under the hood w/o switching to a heat extracting hood. I would love to keep the stock hood as it is my favorite. My other thought was to buy a 96-98 Cobra fiberglass hood and then customize a vent at the front of the hood behind the radiator. Not sure how it'd look and it'd be an expensive test project!

racebronco2

Established Member
Are you going to make the vortex generators on that too. I know my teacher had said to make the vortex generators to about the middle of the car to straighten out the flow so I would guess that you would make them the whole lenght of the aluminum. You may correct me if I'm wrong in anyway.

The vg's need to be in clean air stream. The underside of the car is too turbulant and they would not work in the rear.

racebronco2

Established Member
Please provide some more indepth explanation to venting air out of the engine compartment via around the front tires. Are you suggesting cutting holes in the sides and fender well liners? I also don't understand what you are referring to about "cheap rubber side rocker flaps". Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'd love to get the air to exit from under the hood w/o switching to a heat extracting hood. I would love to keep the stock hood as it is my favorite. My other thought was to buy a 96-98 Cobra fiberglass hood and then customize a vent at the front of the hood behind the radiator. Not sure how it'd look and it'd be an expensive test project!

I don't think he meant venting air out of the engine compartment via around the tires. He meant the air going around the tires via air dams in front of the tires. Here is what he said in an earlier post" This is actually a pretty good piece. On a race car I'd make those air dams in front of the tires longer to shroud the tires."
Look at the nascars, they have their rocker covers only inches above the ground .

The hood mod will only be expensive if you bought a good hood, the hood i have on my car cost 40.00 but was damages in several places.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
There is a guy on the Evo forum whose car is setup for time attack/road racing. He's got a ton of engine mods as well as aero mods. Running the quarter mile, he said he gained at least 3 mph by taking off his rear wing and putting the stock front bumper back on. That's not even top speed.

evodavepro2.jpg

evodavepro4.jpg

I think the rear pan from the tank to the bumper is a good idea, even better if you can find a way to seal up the whole rear bumper, or maybe get some vents to put in the bumper to prevent the parachuting. Unless you are doing serious aero mods like 'racer', little things like this should really help.

99 GT

Established Member
Carlos - Check your PMs.

The wing and the vortex generators should work well together.

There is definately a low pressure area from the middle of the rear window down to the trunk. I was looking to adapt a vortex generator from an EVO. Great work Carlos.

I have been thinking of making a rear diffusor to seal the tank to the back of the bumper as well. We should get together and make a couple of them. On the weekends I have access to a machine shop and a lift in Long Beach.

^^^Along with anyone else....

I want a diffuser if you guys can come up with one. Heck i wouldnt mind using my car as a tester. I have the Cobra R front bumper and Wing (same car in avatar)Ashley im only about 10 minutes away so if you ever want to meet up let me know.

racebronco2

Established Member
Reading more about diffusers it's gong to be really difficult to get one that actually works. The underside of the car needs to be really smooth to allow clean air to travel from the front of the car to the rear. The irs cars have more of a problem since our exhaust is so low in the rear. The diffuser needs to be lower then the exhaust for it to work. Now if you want one that kinda works but looks really cool that can be done.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Then why do Ford GT's, Ferrari f-430's and a bunch of race cars have elongated vg's on their rear diffuser?

Ever seen the bottom of those cars? They are completely flat, especially the F430. I've closely inspected the bottom of a Lotus Exige S and its a big flat piece of aluminum. It would be very hard to do this on our cars.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Reading more about diffusers it's gong to be really difficult to get one that actually works. The underside of the car needs to be really smooth to allow clean air to travel from the front of the car to the rear. The irs cars have more of a problem since our exhaust is so low in the rear. The diffuser needs to be lower then the exhaust for it to work. Now if you want one that kinda works but looks really cool that can be done.
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research as well. Unless we completely flat-bottom the car the air would not stay clean enough to work like a pure racing diffuser. I have an idea though. Most diffusers can aid the rear wings as it help to reintroduce the lower pressure air to the high pressure air coming off the wing. I think it would be worth while to make a basic diffuser that starts near the axle, extend it back at an angle of around 9 degrees, and extend it around 5-6 inches past the rear bumper. This not only will help close that gap in the bumper, aid any wings people may have, but since we have a little more area because we're past the car it should be slightly effective. This will only work on a lowered car, but I think if we can make the diffuser light enough, it could be worth it.

I read this on CC and think it speaks the truth. "If you want down force on a mustang, just get a big ass wing". I think a nice front splitter and wing are the best bet, but I think a diffuser can help the rear wing and it just looks cool :D

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Ever seen the bottom of those cars? They are completely flat, especially the F430. I've closely inspected the bottom of a Lotus Exige S and its a big flat piece of aluminum. It would be very hard to do this on our cars.

I get the fact that w/o a smooth underside there is going to be turbulance. However the fact that a simple diffuser would keep the air from getting caught in the rear bumper cover at speed would be a plus.

racebronco2

Established Member
Vg's and diffusers and two different aero terms. Vg's separate the air and diffusers direct the air with large fins.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
I get the fact that w/o a smooth underside there is going to be turbulance. However the fact that a simple diffuser would keep the air from getting caught in the rear bumper cover at speed would be a plus.

Yes. I say since we're already developing a plate to block it off, we might as well put a little more effort into it and make a true diffuser and at least rake the minimal gains it provide.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I think you are over estimating the amount of drag being caused by the rear bumper.

Once again, fix the front end and put a big ass wing on the back and you'll be amazed at the difference.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'm gonna say short of getting a true cobra R front bumper, a custom splitter from APR as well as their canards for the front would greatly increase your front end downforce and keep it planted at high speed. Just be sure to support the splitter on more than your plastic front lip because there is a ton of force on that thing at even normal speeds.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
I think you are over estimating the amount of drag being caused by the rear bumper.

Once again, fix the front end and put a big ass wing on the back and you'll be amazed at the difference.

I think it's safe to say we know how bad the rear end on a Mustang is. I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to at least make a diffuser to get some of the benefits. If we're making a cover for the bumper, why not incorporate the diffuser, it could help the wing as well.

racebronco2

Established Member
I picked up my "r" wing today and hope to get it painted (satin black for now)mounted today. I will finish fabbing up the side pans and hope to get these painted along with the rear pan.

Users who are viewing this thread