I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
;-)

Diff1.gif

Diff2.gif

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Yes, they are straight. As you can guess the side triangles are for the area just aft the rear wheel.

It's slow going as I'm using AutoCAD for 3D modeling, and I've never learned on it. I learned on IDEAS-12 so doing the fancy stuff is hard with this one.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3626320&posted=1#post3626320

Instead of cluttering this thread please refer to the this one. I will be working on it for the remainder of the summer as well as winter if need be. I have AutoCAD at school :rolling:

If you have any input Please sing up and let me know in the thread. I want this to partly be a learning experience for others, not just myself. I feel Aerodynamics is an increasingly important aspect of cars and I think many people in the Mustang community (not just us track-jockys) cabn benift from it's affects, from Drag Racing to everyday driving.

Cheers :beer:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
going back to rear wings... I just saw a pic of the maierracing new edge mustag in the modified mustangs mag and the rear wing looked interesting. looks the same as the griggs racing wing for 94-98 stangs.

question is, how functional is a wing design like this?

here's the pic from the maierracing car

157-5760_IMG.jpg

157-5763_IMG.jpg

157-5762_IMG.jpg

and here's the Griggs wing for comparison:

GR40Spoiler.jpg

David Hester

Established Member
I used a plexiglass spoiler similar to that on my old SPO car ('90 Mustang LX Hatch).
It took me 4 years to be as fast around Roebling Road in the "new" A/Sedan car as I was with it 10 years ago, and with less motor.
Was able to carry more speed into 1 and 6-7.
No hard data, just faster times (Mid 1:20's was just down to 1:24 last year in the A/Sedan car) Had been running high 20's.
Mine was 4" tall, set back about 40-45* from horizonal.
Absolutely worthless when you lock brakes up, though and hit something. Can't really see the spoiler in this angle...

MustangCrash.jpg

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
so are you saying that it would be a good buy compared to the current Steeda wing I have (that apparently is useless)?

93SVTCobra

Established Member
The only problem with that design is that it creates A LOT of drag vs. a properly designed wing.

The Steeda wing is worthless....

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
The only problem with that design is that it creates A LOT of drag vs. a properly designed wing.

The Steeda wing is worthless....

but it has more functionality as the Steeda then. now with the increased drag the rearend stayes planted in the turns but it will slow the car down on high speed staits a bit, did I get this right?

David Hester

Established Member
^Yes
Works for NASCRAP....
I found I was faster total track, because I was carrying more speed through the major corners at Roebling.
Like I said took me almost 3 years to go as fast with more motor and no spoiler to make up 3 1/2 to 4 seconds. Turn 1 was approached at 120-125 mph; turn 6-7 complex is about 65-70 mph.
Your results may vary.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
ok, this is convincing, I'll be ordering a maier racing wing when they start selling it! anything seems to be better then the steeda wing. I may get a second trunk lid for a cobra r wing so I can swap depending if I drive on the track or street

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
We have a lot going against us in the aero department. (.36 drag is just one downfall) In addition, it's always a compromise when the car is not track dedicated and also serves as a daily driver.

I'm doing a bunch of cheap little mods to help with cooling efficiency and aerodynamics. A super low splitter and huge wing will not cut it on my DD but I'm currently messing around with small things like boxing in the radiator, opening up the hood and modifying (enlarging) the radiator support.

When it comes to the rear defuser, I'm getting the feeling that most of you guys feel it isn't worth it because of the jacked up undercarriage with our Cobras. Basically the air has a lot of obsticles under there and it's hard to design a defuser for our application that can actually straighten out the air flow.

I kinda like what Carlos did on the back of his coupe but I'm not sure if the hard data is out on his design yet.

If we can't manage the air under there, can we just open up the rear spoiler with holes or slots to let trapped air out??? I know this is a little ricey looking but people have been doing it for years on all different types of cars.

It's quick and easy and if done right, shouldn't look that bad.

Any ideas or opinions??? I know it would be a shame jacking up the original rear bumper but maybe buying a spare OEM or aftermarket one with holes already in it could do the trick right???

Later...Dave

racebronco2

Established Member
Putting holes in the spoiler is going to defeat the purpose of the spoiler, it will reduce the downforce. What i have seen on a friends chicane was they installed a metal piece on the rear bumper cover. It is the same exact shape as the black portion of the lower bumper. They actaully cut slits in the metal and installed a mesh over these slits. They are about 1/2" wide by 6 inches long in rows of 2 one on set on each side. They use the center exhaust so it does cover over the stock exhaust cut outs. Looks really good.

racebronco2

Established Member
I was thinking if i did go with side exhaust then i could make a piece for the lower portion of the bumper and extend it lower so i can maintain the correct degrees for the defusser to work correctly.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Carlos...

Can't see the picture of your buddy's rear bumper...is there a link???

Later...Dave

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
going back to rear wings... I just saw a pic of the maierracing new edge mustag in the modified mustangs mag and the rear wing looked interesting. looks the same as the griggs racing wing for 94-98 stangs.

question is, how functional is a wing design like this?

here's the pic from the maierracing car

157-5760_IMG.jpg

157-5763_IMG.jpg

157-5762_IMG.jpg

and here's the Griggs wing for comparison:

GR40Spoiler.jpg

who makes them fender flares?

Users who are viewing this thread