In search for more aero

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
changing the topic back to the rear wing for a second... is there a significant functional difference between the real FRPP Cobra R wing and the Steeda race wing? Steeda wing I'm talking about is this one:

Cobraside.jpg

also, the front splitter, is it worth it for mostly hill climb racing and some open track events or should I just leave the 03-04 cobra front with Mach1 chin spoiler?

The Cobra R front works assuming you make it stiff enough to handle the forces being applied to it. It is the only front airdam I would buy that I would have confidence in.

As for the Steeda race wing, I assume it's just as good as the Cobra R (seeing as it's a clone) but I prefer the FRPP one, as we have hard data on it, and not the Steeda R wing specifically. I am not super crazy with how the Steeda wing is so curved. The FRPP R wing is a straight horizontal line, but the wing has been contoured specifically to produce downforce. That Steeda wing has such a large curve, and I can't see a good view of the profile of the wing. The Steeda wing would catch more clean air as it's higher than the FRPP R wing, but I'm not sure how the profile is. Until we get more information or data, I'd stick with the SVT designed and proven FRPP R wing.

Here is a cut and paste I did on a different board about Mustang Aerodynamics. I think you could benefit from it, though it's not super technical.

I mod mine for efficiency. On the 2000 moving the rear spoiler back as far as I could without uncovering the original holes was worth an amazing 4mpg! The chin spoiler was worth a little. The GT exhaust and adapter was worth a good 3mpg, and the cold air helped too. Then I'd lightened it with a K-member, A-arms, coil-overs (with which I could drop it for a long highway trip), and some tubular sway bars. I also mounted a GT hood scoop and opened it to blow on the intake. Most of these only helped on the highway at speed, but that is where most of my driving is anyways. All said and done my record for a trip was 35. I averaged 32 to work and back. Of course, There was allot of money invested to and I drove it right. The one hit I took was the Mach one brakes and 17" wheels.
Ok, this is just full of misconceptions and misinformation. Since you seem to genuinely believe what you have written and are not coming off as a huge prick I'm going to be nice and just correct what is wrong. Which is a lot.

The rear spoiler on any stock Mustang (other than the Cobra R) are purely aesthetic. The wing is too low above the decklid to have any "clean" usable air to influence. The roof of the Mustang is very typical and the airflow goes straight over the rear window and if following the curve hit somewhere about a foot past the end of the car. This is not to say no air moves over the car, high pressure (it's high pressure because the air is traveling slower than the air above it, as the air above it must cover more distance in the same time, creating a lower pressure to do so) air literally "rides" above it and just stays on top. A good example is with truck beds. To get optimum efficiency of the truck, the tailgate must be up, as it traps a bit of air and forces it to create a small turbulent cyclone in the bed of the truck, just aft of the cab. This again creates a difference in pressures and forces the air going over the cabin to "ride" over the cyclonic air in the bed. This in turn reduces resistance, increasing efficiency. This principle is generally the same with the Mustang, however not as dramatic.

For the spoiler to be effective it must be raised and placed into the path of the low pressure air to take advantage of it. When the air is divided by a properly designed wing, the upper part of the wing travels a farther distance than the lower part of the wing, and it creates a difference in pressure. The pressure going the farther distance is has to speed up to meet the bottom air at the same time (think of 2 different radii on a moving record). Because it speeds up the pressure drops. In a properly designed wing on a plane the longer distance traveled is on the top of the wing. The bottom, slower air is a higher pressure and pushes up because the faster moving air on the top has a lower pressure. By the Natural Gas Laws (and it seems nature/physics in general) the air wants to become neutral, so it tries to equal the differences in force by pushing up on the low pressure. With enough upward force, we have lift, and the ability to fly. The faster to go, the more lift you achieve (to a point it seems, as then the air will start to react different. Take for instance supersonic aircraft. The wings of the aircraft have to be angled against the body like that for the air to have a direction of flow. As you approach (and surpass) the sound barrier the aircraft is moving so fast that it's pushing so much air forward with it at the leading edge of the wing (you are looking at the nose of the plane to the back, now look at the wings) it builds up air and again creates different pressure zones. This in turn destroys the efficiency of the wing and will cause the plane to break apart from vibrations and other failures. With an angles wing now commonplace on modern supersonic aircraft, the air at the leading edge of the to flow to the edges of the wing and be purged into the rest of the ambient air, instead of building up on the wing.
The angle and design of the wing is not particular great so even if the wing was put into "clean air" it would probably create more lift than downforce. Also, even if it did create downforce it would not be enough to make a significant amount of force pushing the rear of the car down and thusly it will not affect the airflow enough to put a significant change in force pushing the car down other than gravity. The Cobra R wing, miscellaneous APR wings, and wings from Apexi and other reputable companies are the only ones that are high enough to put the wing (well, it's more of an inverted wing) into the "clean" air and are properly designed to give downforce, not lift. Moving the stock wing back does not change anything in the car's aerodynamic profile as it's ineffective from the drawing board and not even close to the proper airflow needed to achieve real downforce. Also covering the holes is not a big deal. They are so small, again out of the clean air, and even if they were in the path of clean air, the internal pressure inside the decklid is significantly higher than that of the air moving over the hole, it would actually suck air out rather than be an obstruction. Essentially it's a rudimentary NACA duct, and real NACA ducts are excellent ways to provide air intakes without sacrificing aerodynamic efficiency (there is a lot of science and calculations behind them as well to make really effective NACA ducts).

The chin spoiler is again not anywhere near as effective as you believe. What I think you are think of is that it the chin spoiler is acting too much like a true front splitter. The mach chin spoiler is too small, nowhere near long enough, and too flimsy. To get the affects of a real splitter you have to lower the car significantly (2+ ideally more). Also the length of the underside of splitter has to be extended. The purpose of a front splitter is somewhat the same as a wing. It works off of a difference of pressure, but it does it slightly different. with a splitter you move air under a flat plate essentially and constrict it. In doing this, you speed the air up (Bernoulli Principle) and you lower the pressure (Bernoulli again). on top of the spoiler, the air hits the front of the car and essentially slow down significantly. This creates a high pressure zone, and now mirroring a wing the High pressure zone pushes down on the low pressure and you have downforce. The length forward of the front edge of the car, the length going back under the car, and the height of the underside of the splitter to the ground all play significant roles in the effectiveness of the front splitter. too short and it doesn't have enough area to produce a high pressure zone and you don't create as much downforce as you could. If the splitter is too high, it will not constrict the air enough and you won't create as much downforce, and if the splitter doesn't go far back to at least a minimum of the beginning of the oil pan (generally for the Mustang). You want this distance to keep the air "trapped" under the car thus keeping the air at a lower pressure and the further you go back, the more areas like the windshield and front of the hood push down because the air going over them is higher pressure than the air going under the car. This is why you see full flat bottom race cars. They utilize the entire car as a wing to produce downforce, and is how it's possible to create hundreds of pounds of downfoce. The other thing you are thinking of is that the chin spoiler is pushing more air aside reducing air under the car. Again it's so small and flimsy it doesn't do anything at all really.

You are not creating enough of a change in the engine's dynamics to warrant 3 mpg with just a cat-back and CAI (though it is a possibility mind you). You are allowing a very small amount of air more through the intake, but with the stock manifolds/heads it's not even arguable really. The exhaust is the same way. You are allowing the exhaust gasses to scavenge a little better through out the exhaust and possible helping create a ever so slight increase in suction when the exhaust valves are open, but I'm not going to say it is worth it. I'd guess 2 mpg in a healthy car tops, but this has so many variables I cannot give a "real" answer.

K-member, A-arms, tubular sway bars. always good to lighten up
Coil-overs to lower the car for long trips. Again, sound thinking. It works as less air travels under the car. Lowering can actually create a mini underbody affect as it can change pressures enough to be noticeable. Lower a car and it should achieve a faster top end assuming same power and only wind resistance was stopping it.

Adding a hood scoop to the car does nothing but induce drag. Even opening it up and "routing" it into the intake, which I assume you didn't do as you said you just opened it to "blow on the intake". I'm guessing it's "blowing" on the upper intake. That does nothing. The air will not cool the intake enough to get any benefits and routing the intake doesn't work either. With our intakes there are too many bends to try and take advantage of true RAM air. Only the air channel ducts directly into the intake/runners and has minimal to no bends will it work. Also the hood scoop will create drag even opened up. This causes a fluctuation of pressures in the engine bay (which is normally stagnant) and will most likely rip itself off unless secured properly.

Yeah, the brakes and 17'' wheels did hurt a bit, but I'd gladly take the trade off for better stopping power. I can get into how the wheels and unsprung weight rotating around a central point vary on how the weight is distributed but I don't feel like doing that right now.

I doubt your 35 mpg, but your 32 seems possible given a low, low car and proper driving. I got about 28 in my stock (catback, 17'' rims, CAI) 98 singleport, but I also have a better gear ratio for highway (2.73 for me, 3.27 for you.)

The spoiler is more effective than you think. The '01 up is not nearly as good. By moving it to the rear (which I thought looked better) I changed its position it the air flow path coming down off the rear window and over the car. There is a large area of "dead space" back there that is enlarged by the current position of the rear wing. By moving it back you direct airflow under it and force some air down over the end of the car.
Dropping the ride height is huge. That is a huge area where no attention was paid to airflow (hence the large chin spoiler and wing on the '00 R). By keeping air out from under the car you gain significant MPG. The Mach one chin spoiler serves the same purpose.
I wrote a paper on these things for a course I took a long time ago (I wanted to design cars at one point). With factory fascias and height I got 25mpg after dropping the height by 3.5 inches I got 29mpg. Stock height and a different fascias 28mpg. Combined 31mpg. Test vehicle then was a '93 2.5 turbo Mustang. Not bad for 273rwhp. Weight with gas and driver 2892. All tests run in similar conditions, and with gas bought and stored at the same time.
The factory has to produce a vehicle to fit certain conditions. So they leave the ride height up, and the rear wing does not extend beyond the rear deck lid.
Engine efficiency is a quagmire though. Some cars run better modded different despite being built the same. I have a friend that swears by bosch +2's, but my old Stang ran worse and I swapped them back to the normal platinums. My car loved the CAI and hated that tornado he had me try because it worked so well.
A couple things that do work across the board are cooling the intake charge and keeping the car in it's "sweet spot" The first is obvious and the reason CAI's, carb spacers, and such sell so well. The same reason I opened up the scoop on the '00. I hoped it would blow down on the intake at speed and help vent engine compartment heat in town. Couldn't tell any difference in town, but on the highway it was worth more than the aerodynamic loss from adding it.
Every car also has a speed at which it is most efficient. Every variable in the car and conditions of driving affect this speed. Add a set of headers and this point will most likely move up. Gears and it moves down. In the days of 3spd autos and 4spd manuals 55 was about it- sometimes less. Now, those points are higher. I confirmed this while doing my paper as well.
I always drive my car where it likes to run if I can. My new Stang like to be at about 65, my old one was a bit higher. Since I drive mostly highways this isn't so hard.
I make no claims on in town driving. Then it is mostly driving style and pure engine efficiency. Gears help and a lighter car of course, but not much. I am glad to be able to avoid it 95% of the time.
One thing I am glad of is that I am more into handling than speed. So I can keep the speed more constant through corners and use the brakes less. This aids mileage as well. I point my mods in the drivetrain towards things the factory should have put in but was too cheap to. Al flywheels and driveshafts, lighter suspension components, and a few engine mods.
Just to make you all really sick I got 6mpg and allot more torque of my truck with a simple roller cam swap. It didn't have one factory. 89 chevy 350 5spd and about to get a 383 this fall. Mileage? Without the usually present load it gets 500 miles on about 20gals.
True, there is a "dead space" (like I mentioned above with the truck etc.) but the moving the wing back will not affect the air as much as you think. Like I mentioned earlier, most of the air is going over the window/decklid due to the pressure difference, not because the air is bing pooled in front of the wing. Moving the wing back will change the airflow slightly, but nothing significantly because the stock wing is a bad design, in a bad location, and and a majority of the influence comes from the shape of the cabin, not the stock rear wing.

The air dam and rear wing on the 2000 Cobra R was intentionally put in place of the clean air to influence difference in pressures and create downforce. The stock wing doesn't do that, and the chin spoiler is too flimsy to even keep it's shape with the real pressures of a true splitter. The rule of thumb for just a home-made splitter is you should be able to stand on the edge without breaking. This is why real, true splitters are made of CF and other composites and even combinations of them. To keep them light and strong. This is also why front splitters are long as it help distributes the front load a bit.

You used a Tornado? Ok, this conversation is now over, but for the sake of real information I will persevere.

CAIs don't cool the air. Unless you're running a Water/Methanol injection kit, Nitrous Oxide sprayers, or Co2 sprayers you don't cool the incoming air. A CAI just allows you to take in ambient air, which is cooler than the engine bay air (for obvious reasons). Intake spacers are a debatable topic and I'll leave it at that. I've seen some evidence against it, but more for them. I believe they work. Blowing air on the intake from opening up the hood scoop won't net any power. You aren't channeling the air in properly and it's really turbulent. Also you are not giving the air an exit. To be effective you must duct air over the intake and let it leave without being able to disperse inside the engine bay. This will allow the air to pick up heat and leave it without being disturbed and slowing down. If you really want to cool things down just grab a Cowl hood or come up with a more elaborate and effective ducting system to cool the upper intake. Also, the air traveling into the upper intake won't see as great of a temperature change as you believe. Remember that the air going in is ambient and not very hot to begin with. Most cooling times are differential equations and are not constants. The hotter something is that is exposed to a cooler source it will cool rapidly quickly, but it will slow down. It's a straightening curve basically. In short the air isn't hot enough in the intake, or in the intake long enough to exchange enough heat with the Aluminum metal to notice any change.

The reason cars "feel at home at certain speeds" is due mostly to the engine and shape. It's a two point graph. Where the two meet is the speed it's most efficient. Yes they car may be aerodynamically efficient enough to cruise at 80, but the engine might be better suited to move the car through the air at 70 due to it's power curve. mostly the point where the engine is producing the most power for the least amount of fuel is where it likes it best. Most of the older cars because they had such a small gear selection were limited in fine tuning the rpms. We have the ability with a 5-speed tranny to be more exact at speed and have 3 gears to select what speed we want the engine to be at for a certain velocity, whereas with an older 4-speed it's 1 less. This let's us be more precise. Also since we have a fifth gear it's an overdrive. In a normal transmission 4th gear is the 1:1 ration. The drive shaft moves at the same rpms as the motor. In fifth, the ratio is lower (I'm not certain on the T-5) and this allows the drive shaft to make more rotations per minute than the engine.

I agree. I know those two had their chin spoilers (and wing on the R) for performance or styling reasons. Granted they do nothing in town. But as you also say they- chin spoilers- are to restrict the flow of air under the car. Every surface the air hits slows the car through resistance and drag. Lines, exhausts, rears, firewall, and on and on. Then you generate the lift from the hood as you mentioned which in extreme cases causes the car to tip up, not enough to lift the tires mind you, but enough to let even more air in and change the angle of attack your car has to the air flow. This generates even more drag.
In town this means nothing since the speeds needed to notice the effect are not even approached, but on the highway keeping the nose down and curving the air along the top to minimize drag areas does help significantly. It makes the engine have to work less to fight the drag.
Another way to approach this is to think of how hard the engine has to work to keep the car moving at a constant rate on level ground at say...60mph. Now, in theory it should take the same effort at any speed to move an object constantly. After all, you should only need to overcome frictional resistance which is nearly (yes I know the speed of the wheel hubs and rear axle will affect it some, but not very much comparatively) constant. But, lets give that same car some new super highway gears and put it up to 100mph at the same rpms. Not going to work. Why? What changes? Only one thing really. The resistance caused by the air the car is moving through. Reducing this is a huge part of mileage for those of us who drive allot of highway miles. Now, you'd need a wind tunnel around a dyno to truly tell how much you are fighting air, but I can assure you that at 50+ the difference is real and measurable. And as you said the handling is better.
I do agree with the rest of your post though. You make valid points. I love NOT stopping at lights or slowing for corners. Probably why my brakes last so long and my wife's don't. I too need to be over 50 to get into 5th. And that rpm range where the engine is not lugging, not reving, and your foot is barely on the gas is the speed I spoke of. I'm lucky enough to live on a state highway with one speed zone and some decent corners between me and work. I can pretty much keep my car right in that spot the whole trip. Hopefully, you get what I'm aiming at. Some obviously don't.

Feel free. You are the mod. It is your choice. I don't mean to argue, but I think allot of people have forgotten the biggest resistance to acceleration- and maintaining speed too- beyond a certain speed is the reaction between the car and the air around it. I choose to focus there as it affects my driving quite a bit.
To be honest, I doubt I really save any money. Just like when I reload my rifle shells the saved money just goes into more of the same thing. In that case gunpowder or a scope, in this one more mods! How many miles would I have to drive to save the money I will be spending on the chin spoiler? The K-member kit? Rear coilovers? Nope not saving a thing I guess, but it sure is fun!

Air resistance is a squared function. Double the speed, square the resistance.
Most of my rebuttals for this one are covered in my previous explanations (which should be obvious if you read my post), but you do have valid points in this one.

I could get into the more radical things like diffusers, sealing the engine bay, dive planes, vortex generators etc. If anyone wants to know, just ask.
Just to see if anyone read this all the way through http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/AnaheimElectronics/GemmaBikini.jpg?t=1212557440

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
AnaheimE,
I modded the front of my cobra to aid in cooling mostly. Now if i wanted better aero how far back should a belly pan go? How do i manage suffuciant air flow for cooling? Do i remove the flexible lip under the bumper cover? Do i add little dams to the belly pan to force the air away from the front tires and towards the center of the car?

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
AnaheimE,
I modded the front of my cobra to aid in cooling mostly. Now if i wanted better aero how far back should a belly pan go? How do i manage suffuciant air flow for cooling? Do i remove the flexible lip under the bumper cover? Do i add little dams to the belly pan to force the air away from the front tires and towards the center of the car?

The rule of thumb is around the oil pan, but I forget if it's the beginning, middle, or end of the oil pan.

as for cooling, most guys completely seal the radiator, ie duct the air into it, and duct it out through the hood (much like this C6-R)

c6r.jpg

You can see how the ducting allows the air to exit the radiator, keeping the pressure in the engine bay at a constant, but allowing the hot air to escape.

Here you can see the ducting into the radiator.
c6r_cutaway.jpg

I was thinking about making some NACA ducts for the underside to keep some cool air going into it, but I'm worried it will destroy the low pressure zone. I think I might have a way though. Also, the basics, better radiator, twin fans, or at least a higher CFM fan. Also, some Water Wetter from Redline is a nice addition. You could always pull an AGENT 47 and open the front end up a bit. I thought of cutting out an area the size of the front license plate (coincidentally where the front license plate it) and putting some wire mesh behind the hole (painted the color of the car, so it will blend a bit more). Also, I would create a little ducting to try and slow the air down and provide a slightly cooler charge. I figure that will allow more air into the radiator, but still leave enough flat area in front of the car to provide some downforce with the front air dam.

Here's a nice shot of AGENT 47s front end
Flying47.gif

***EDIT***
Ok, I just re-read your post. I completely didn't keep it in mind when I wrote this one. I'm sorry, as I'm really tired and I'll hit your questions up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If anyone wants to know, just ask.
Just to see if anyone read this all the way through http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/AnaheimElectronics/GemmaBikini.jpg?t=1212557440

Umm Yea! I read it all the way through! Paragraphs would have been nice.
A little more proof reading would have also been nice.

All valid points on your part, though the explanation of them, given your knowledge and competence could have been much better.:rockon:
Given the knowledge level of the poster you were addressing I can understand some impatience which does go a long way in explaining your semi-sketchy response.:dw:

HOLY CRAP! Is she in your aerodynamics classes with you? There are some low pressure zones next to those transient radii that are drawing me in with a powerful venturi effect!...LOL!:bowdown:

That guy should have turned the hood scoop around and moved it as far forward as the existing hole would allow. This would put a negative air pressure source into the under hood air mix and increase cooling air flow through the rad and increase frontal down force as well. And he needs to do a lot more reading.:read:

How am I doing?;-):beer::thumbsup:

GemmaBikini.gif

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Umm Yea! I read it all the way through! Paragraphs would have been nice.
A little more proof reading would have also been nice.

All valid points on your part, though the explanation of them, given your knowledge and competence could have been much better.:rockon:
Given the knowledge level of the poster you were addressing I can understand some impatience which does go a long way in explaining your semi-sketchy response.:dw:

HOLY CRAP! Is she in your aerodynamics classes with you? There are some low pressure zones next to those transient radii that are drawing me in with a powerful venturi effect!...LOL!:bowdown:

That guy should have turned the hood scoop around and moved it as far forward as the existing hole would allow. This would put a negative air pressure source into the under hood air mix and increase cooling air flow through the rad and increase frontal down force as well. And he needs to do a lot more reading.:read:

How am I doing?;-):beer::thumbsup:

GemmaBikini.gif

I was tired (it was like 1 am and I had work at 7am) and I was talking to my friend the whole time, discussing his final research paper report (How video games affects children: ie. violence, etc).

I made up for it with Gemma damnit! :lol:

According to the poster I was responding to, he wrote a paper on the aerodynamics involved with Mustangs and apparently had a good chunk of knowledge on the subject. I would really like to meet the teacher that graded that paper...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I made up for it with Gemma damnit! :lol:
AGREED!:bowdown::beer:
According to the poster I was responding to, he wrote a paper on the aerodynamics involved with Mustangs and apparently had a good chunk of knowledge on the subject. I would really like to meet the teacher that graded that paper...

Yea really! :dw:

Even general negative pressure is hugely beneficial in the engine bay. With a fully ducted rad and functional splitter it is even more so.:beer:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I've had the opportunity to see the data from a Steeda street wing in the wind tunnel (definitely NOT provided by Steeda) and the Steeda street wing doesn't provide any more downforce than its weight.

To see a racer say that he felt it helped at a track like Lime Rock is pretty sad really......

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
so that was for the street "race" wing from steeda, the small one, right? what about the big one from the 05+ stang like on the pic above?

BlackStripes

Established Member
I've had the opportunity to see the data from a Steeda street wing in the wind tunnel (definitely NOT provided by Steeda) and the Steeda street wing doesn't provide any more downforce than its weight.

To see a racer say that he felt it helped at a track like Lime Rock is pretty sad really......

Basically you are saying that provides 10lbs of downforce? :rolling:

You would be surprised, if i remember correctly, i'd say that more than 1/2 of the Mustangs in Grand Am (at least in Koni Challenge) uses the Steeda piece, actually, the street version. :dw:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Basically you are saying that provides 10lbs of downforce? :rolling:

EXACTLY!

You would be surprised, if i remember correctly, i'd say that more than 1/2 of the Mustangs in Grand Am (at least in Koni Challenge) uses the Steeda piece, actually, the street version. :dw:

I'm really not surprised at all as Steeda offers a contigency program for Grand Am. The other way you can tell it doesn't work is that the Mustangs have so much front lift that the race teams wouldn't do anything to increase it (adding rear downforce increases front lift) so why wouldn't they run it?

We won't put the tall wing in the wind tunnel as it vibrates so much at higher speeds it can't be that efficient. That is just an observation so please take it as that.

BlackStripes

Established Member
:-D

I didn't expect that Steeda had contingency in Koni Challenge since i didn't see any Steeda sticker, BUT what really caught my attention was that they used the street version when Steeda sells a race wing :bored:

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
For the spoiler to be effective it must be raised and placed into the path of the low pressure air to take advantage of it. When the air is divided by a properly designed wing, the upper part of the wing travels a farther distance than the lower part of the wing, and it creates a difference in pressure. The pressure going the farther distance is has to speed up to meet the bottom air at the same time (think of 2 different radii on a moving record). Because it speeds up the pressure drops. In a properly designed wing on a plane the longer distance traveled is on the top of the wing. The bottom, slower air is a higher pressure and pushes up because the faster moving air on the top has a lower pressure. By the Natural Gas Laws (and it seems nature/physics in general) the air wants to become neutral, so it tries to equal the differences in force by pushing up on the low pressure.
This is not how an airfoil works.
I just stopped reading after that. And I almost for got what I was going to post about after I saw the picture mid page.

bit

Established Member
correct me then.
Well I could just quote it out of my aero book from school or I could pull it out of the depths of my head with less accuracy, but why do that when the internet is in front of you. Just do a quick google search on airfoils and you will find out how they work, more or less.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well I could just quote it out of my aero book from school or I could pull it out of the depths of my head with less accuracy, but why do that when the internet is in front of you. Just do a quick google search on airfoils and you will find out how they work, more or less.

Bring the tech dude. You made the accusation faulty tech was posted, so post the correction.:dw:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
:-D

I didn't expect that Steeda had contingency in Koni Challenge since i didn't see any Steeda sticker, BUT what really caught my attention was that they used the street version when Steeda sells a race wing :bored:

Good point but I was told that is why at least one team I know runs a Steeda rear wing. Notice that even Robin Burnett doesn't run the "race" wing on his AI car.

bit

Established Member

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Guys, there is no reason for me to rewrite the book when so much good information is available.
Checkout myth one on this page.
http://www.austincollins.com/myths.pdf
This guy is funny.
http://www.textbookleague.org/105wing.htm
A good read from NASA
www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/wrong1.html
While you are at NASA's site, check out all there good airfoil info. They have good explanations without a lot of heavy math.
If you guys are interested in the math I can help you with that too.

thank you. Got some nice reading material for tonight and tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread