Im back w/ more bad news, broken MMR Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Was there any signs of detonation in any of the other cylinders?

If so I would urge you to find out why and correct it before installing the next replacement engine.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Hangman

You are approaching this in a very responsible, knowledgeable and mature manner. Some people would be in a livid rant which you are resisting.

That valve strike may have collapsed the ring groove resulting in the ring not sealing properly allowing hot gasses to get past the ring aggravating the problem but that is just speculation on my part.

Hopefully you can get away with just replacing the piston but keep in mind the replacement may not be an exact copy of the other 7 pistons with regard to weight, dimensions and dome volume since they were made at a different time and not from the same batch. Talk to the piston manufacturer and see what their view is on this. They may recommend a whole new set of 8 which is where I would be leaning.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Was there any signs of detonation in any of the other cylinders?

If so I would urge you to find out why and correct it before installing the next replacement engine.

detonation in other cylinders will be apparent when i get to see the rest of the pistons and take more photos, again, give me till tomorrow to give you some more info.

I appreciate you looking ahead of time for the future motor, i will show you everything i can so you guys can help me out.

By the way, i was told by the engine builder that i will need 8 new pistons and one new rod at a minimum to get the car running.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Hangman

You are approaching this in a very responsible, knowledgeable and mature manner. Some people would be in a livid rant which you are resisting.

That valve strike may have collapsed the ring groove resulting in the ring not sealing properly allowing hot gasses to get past the ring aggravating the problem but that is just speculation on my part.

Hopefully you can get away with just replacing the piston but keep in mind the replacement may not be an exact copy of the other 7 pistons with regard to weight, dimensions and dome volume since they were made at a different time and not from the same batch. Talk to the piston manufacturer and see what their view is on this. They may recommend a whole new set of 8 which is where I would be leaning.

The engine builder already has a plan for the bottom end, diamond pistons, rings etc. Again, not enough information to continue, tomorrow is another day. I am taking this differently because this happened around a week + ago, i just walked away for a little to breathe instead of being pissed off and trying to handle this. A clear head wins every time. I didn't even want to go on the forums because i was just disgusted with the whole car scene for a bit, and I didn't even want to come back on here, but the advice that is given and the help that can be offered is what brought me back.

I will absolutely be replacing all the pistons, the engine builder says the motor should have held up, it wasn't the best piston and ring combination but he said it should have held the power regardless, again, the same thing i keep asking he mentioned, why fail on that exact piston, right by the dent and grind damage. What are the odds?? very slim?

In the end, if MMR would have called me while they tore the motor apart, i would have happily paid out of pocket at the time to replace the piston if that is what it came down to, but it never did, i never heard a word, i received the motor back with good assurances, and now i'm sitting here with a 3700 lb paper weight. I mean if they would have just sent me a photo saying they ground it down, and assured me it was ok, i still would have had it replaced, considering the cost of the whole motor what is another couple hundred bucks.

Yes I'm pissed, and i did send MMR a stern email after i saw the photo of the piston yesterday, but i will eat my words and man up if i am wrong, but this whole thing doesn't smell right, and since its my hard earned money i wont stop till this is settled and what is fair is done. All i want is a strong and healthy running car, these things are truly money pits, and when you spend good money, your money, you expect quality, and what i sent you all a photo of is not quality work, plain and simple, i can provide more photos but you can all see what was done and the total **** up they did in California.

I will post more tomorrow, good night all.

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
i feel for you, my stock motor gave out on me last june and ive been saving and shopping around every since... i was really leaning with mmr too. this is really were u see what kind of company mmr is. yes theres many factors and yes it may not be mmr's fault. but it all boils down to one question! did they replace the pistons on the last go around. if not i think every one would agree that mmr should bite the builet on this one. this is what scares me the most, and the only reason why i havent droped the ten grand with anybody yet.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Hangman

While I agree that replacing all 8 pistons and rehone, rebalance may be the best possible way to go about the problem, even if the one piston replaced was a different mass than the one in the hole previously, this would be accounted for in the crank balancing and not be an issue.

I hate MMR with a passion after seeing numerous failures everything from oil pumps to whole longblocks, but I will still try to remain a neutral opinion based on the fact that the OP said the other compressions were also down, a sign of a bad tune by a shop none of us have ever heard about.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Whats the heads look like? Are they bad also?
Looks like another 10K.
Feel.the pain. My car has been.down for 16 months now.but getting closer
Will say A Hail Mary before cranking it.
That piston I wouldn't use.

mach1033

Established Member
It truly sucks when you put your hard earned money and trust in a " reputable " shop only to get fooled into thinking they did outstanding work. I know exactly what your going through.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
forgot that everyone is closed today, so no updates till tomorrow guys.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Whats the heads look like? Are they bad also?
Looks like another 10K.
Feel.the pain. My car has been.down for 16 months now.but getting closer
Will say A Hail Mary before cranking it.
That piston I wouldn't use.

Heads are ok, no problems, block is good, crank is good, 7 rods are good, more details to come on what is going back in the car, stay tuned.

OHH and by the way, my local tuning shop is Torq in Miramar, Fl. The engine builder who Torq uses and did the breakdown is:

MPR Racing Engines
170 Commerce Road Suite 3
Boynton Beach Fl 33426
561-588-0188

anybody ever heard of them? they seem like they've done some good work from what i can gather on the internet?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Heads are ok, no problems, block is good, crank is good, 7 rods are good, more details to come on what is going back in the car, stay tuned.

OHH and by the way, my local tuning shop is Torq in Miramar, Fl. The engine builder who Torq uses and did the breakdown is:

MPR Racing Engines
Boynton Beach Fl 33426
561-588-0188

anybody ever heard of them? they seem like they've done some good work from what i can gather on the internet?

Damn man this is horrible to hear. I'm really sorry. If I were you and you're going to build a new motor I would just go with L&M Engines man.. :beer:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member

MPR Racing Engines
Boynton Beach Fl 33426
561-588-0188

The only MPR THAT I know is down in lauderdale and the engine builder is IKE ... Good top notch engine builder though ....

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Waiting for MMR to chime in here

They are probably busy trying to sell their products to someone in a thread asking about tech advise :rolleyes:

OP- In my experience, a piston that has made contact with a valve, with the engine running, can not be used. Damage to the ring lands like Slow mentioned, or hairline cracks are always what I have found. The eveidence is not always easy to spot, unless the piston is removed, and this one clearly was not.

Rossim22

Established Member
I went with Modmax over MMR and the also allowed me to send them my rods and crank to be reused in a new Boss 5.0, great guys imo. I've heard a lot of iffy things about MMR so I was straying away

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Waiting for MMR to chime in here

I hope not, i plan on speaking with MMR personally, i am reporting my facts, if this gets resolved and fixed fairly, then i will have no gripe, if this gets into a pissing match, then they can come on here and explain there side, that is why i said no bashing, there is no reason for it at the moment. Hopefully we can deal with this like men, with respect and above all FAIRNESS. That is how i do business and i will always give others the same chance to step up. If i am wrong, i will man up, if they are wrong i expect the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread