Im back w/ more bad news, broken MMR Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Well where do I start...

If you don't know my build or the few major headaches i have had to deal with during the process here is a link to my build thread. In order to really understand the following information, you should read this thread first.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2-9-whipple-5-3-mmr-stroker-dyno-numbers.html

Ok, now present day, i had been talking about upping the boost to 19PSI, well, i finally did. It went on the dyno, get a phone call and hear the terrible news, cars broke, dripping oil from both sides. Its toast... Car was pulling like a beast though before it let go :rockon:, but that's beside the point.

Compression test, can anyone tell me which piston you think had 0 compression of any of the 8??? if you read my posted build thread than you will have a good idea, good old number 2 piston, same one that let go when the crappy comp valve spring broke the last time. So number two piston 0 compression, all others were low around 140-160, when they normally read between 180-190. Well again, if you read my previous post, MMR took my motor back and footed the build the whole way, :beer:, i told them of the valve spring breaking and they sent it back to me as good as new, RIGHT?

Sooooo..when the engine builder my shop uses takes the motor apart he informs me that they never replaced my #2 piston that had a huge dent in it from being smacked by the dropped valve from the last break, and get this, they tried to grind down that part of the piston as if it would fix the problem. I will just let pictures speak for themselves, you form your own opinion, and ask your self one question, would you put this piston back in your own car?

Image-6.jpg

I going to watch the panthers play off game, i will be back home after to check the thread, im looking for advice, help, anything, what should i do about MMR etc. anyone ever run into something like this, how do i handle it? i have spoken to MMR already and will post all that, ill be back on soon.

Later

mustanginky

Established Member
they put a piston with that much damage back in the motor? that is almost completely unbelievable, not saying it didn't happen just that's so incredibly negligent i can't believe it.

That's a bummer. I'm not sure why anyone uses MMR to begin with though. Over the years, whether its on this site or ModularFords, its always MMR's motors that have more problems than those of other builders.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Zoom that picture out... I wouldn't put that in a used lawn mower. How would they even think that would hold up on a golf cart let alone, @ 18psi. How much did they save themselves? 25~30$ unbelievable. I hope they know that they will be replacing your motor, again. Better yet tell them to keep it, and refund you your money.. Un real

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
WTF!!! I would be like:cuss: That's not right... I'm curious to hear what they told you when you showed them that! Sorry to see something like this happen... Hope they fix this no questions ask!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Could we please see multiple better pictures than that!?

You can't tell shit from that photo!
It certainly does not look like a piston with a valve impact mark, it looks like detonation melted the side of your piston away to me.

Which would most certainly not be MMR's fault.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but before everyone piles on MMR I would like to see better pics.

jrd699

Established Member
Could we please see multiple better pictures than that!?

You can't tell shit from that photo!
It certainly does not look like a piston with a valve impact mark, it looks like detonation melted the side of your piston away to me.

Which would most certainly not be MMR's fault.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but before everyone piles on MMR I would like to see better pics.

Judgement reserved, till more photos;-)

Ironhand

Banned
That does look like a melted piston. But almost like the stock cobra pistons problem. Not enough PTW clearance and crappy piston rings. This motor did happen to let go at 19psi right? It probably has the cheap moly rings in it and not the AP stainless set.

SlowSVT

Established Member
:nonono:

Building your own motor if possible is always best. I have little trust in a company selling crate motors for profit. No one will be more careful than yourself and won't cut corners (hopefully). That way if anything goes wrong you only have yourself to blame.

Zoom out and post more pics of the piston.

TRBO VNM

I would say that melted looking section is the new damage and the small mark that looks like it was sanded on is what the OP is saying was the damage from the first motor issue.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
This is not a bash thread, nor will it turn into one, otherwise I will have the mods remove it, this is a facts only thread, yes there will be more photos, so give this some time. The only fact I know as of now is that the piston was never replaced and the damage that did occur to the Piston happened right by the ground out dent on the piston. I am no expert, that is why I came on here, to listen to some of the opinions of seasoned forum members who know their shit! Hockey game is over, I will be home soon and will post more findings. But the question still arises to me over and over, if this was your car, would you ever put that piston back in your car?

Last edited:

jrd699

Established Member
Looks like a weak link in the chain, for sure. No I would not install that in my car.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I would say that melted looking section is the new damage and the small mark that looks like it was sanded on is what the OP is saying was the damage from the first motor issue.

You would be correct on this sir.

And jimmy, there is a dent on the piston, that is the mark you see on the upper right hand corner of the photo, the grind marks you see is where they tried to smooth it, what i was told by my shop and there engine builder was that by grinding on the piston, this created "hot spots" on the piston which can cause excess heat and result in what the photo shows. Now what is the coincidence that the exact place the piston decided to melt through was the exact same area that the dent and grind marks are located, which also happened to be the exact same piston and cylinder that had received previous damage from the previous break and repair.

Again, at this point i am just using common sense and going by what i see, but yes, i will be meeting with my shop and if there is time, i will stop by the engine builder and take my camera with me, i plan on documenting everything. I was also told, that there is a fine hairline crack in the piston as well, this either was already there when they sent it back to me, or it was a result of the damage sustained from the most recent dyno pull, there is no true way of knowing, but it does go to show how weak the piston had become from the damage it had prior.

In have yet to hear from MMR after I sent them the photos, i will be speaking with them tomorrow. I spoke with them after i had just basic information and no photos to show and they were very defensive in saying it could be the result of many different factors, usually a lean tune resulting in detonation, I had no reason to argue, because in the end he was right, who is to determine what happened when there are so many variables in play in a motor and the tune, but after looking at this photo and the shitty repair job that was made after it was put back in my car, i don't know what to say...and MAINLY the destruction of the piston occurred in the EXACT same place as the ground up dent on the piston, i mean COME ONE, what am I to think?

All in all, I will be visiting my busted motor tomorrow and take some more pictures, as well as get some more information from the engine builder. In the end, this is a powerful boosted motor, there are truly allot of factors in play. So lets make sure i get my ducks in a row before i jump on anybody.

But no matter how i think about it, i would have never put that piston back in my car, under any conditions, or a customers car for that matter, so i will leave it at that. Updates to follow tomorrow, I am open to answering any questions and hearing any advice anybody has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread