If you're a car salesman post up!

Zemedici

Established Member
That's the trend we've gone to in used cars now. Some people don't realize or actually have a clue what a good deal is, they just want to see you take $10k off the price.

Bingo. Sales guys up front by no means are "making a killing"

Of course, they make money, as does anyone with a job. These guys have no idea what goes INTO getting a used vehicle, etc. All they're worried about is "that's what they're selling it at, how can i cut that price in half"

If you saw the profit margins on some of the used vehicles, you guys might retract your thoughts. Next time you buy a car, sit down with the paperwork after and break it down.

Dealership that I work at bought my cobra, did the UCI, taxes, and everything. Salesman walked away with ~$400. That's really not bad. They dont sell 5 cars a day guys.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I've never been to a good dealership in Vegas.

I remember when i was looking for a daily and they were showing me cars that were priced above KBB, and trying to convince me it was a good deal.

Then again one ford dealer tried convincing me the stock, auto, black, convertible, 03GT they had for $13,000 was a great deal, even though I told them I've had 9 mustangs, and I know exactly how much one is worth.

Last edited:

PACETTR

Established Member
Lots of good LOL's...

FWIW we use VAuto to price our used cars online. On the lot they are "sticker priced" higher. Lots of people still want to negotiate, so if they just come on the lot we can "start high" with the sticker price and negotiate down from there. The more savvy buyers come in on the internet price and USUALLY know it's a good deal, although most will STILL try to get us to lower it.

Last edited:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
has anyone watched SUCKERS? its my favoriet car sales guy movie

If your a car salesmen.. this is a MUST OWN DVD.
nws
[youtube_browser]OV5e7WFp3m4[/youtube_browser]

cant ever forget larry love
[youtube_browser]2VbX22w9qws[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
has anyone watched SUCKERS? its my favoriet car sales guy movie

If your a car salesmen.. this is a MUST OWN DVD.

[youtube_browser]OV5e7WFp3m4[/youtube_browser]

Not exactly the best movie when it comes to wanting the public to like car dealers.....

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
I've been selling Fords in Chattanooga for ten years. I'm the fleet manager now.

If you know your product, there is no need to lie.

I give my customers fair prices immediately. I'd rather sell them five over ten years than one and they leave forever. We aren't all stealerships and we aren't all vultures.

We are capitalists and we believe in making profit. Profit is not a bad word. Be fair and take care of your customers. Earn the money you make by taking care of your buyers

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Was in the business for 10+ years. Sold/managed Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Ford, Mazda, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Saab and still have a bunch of contacts. I do not miss that daily grind!

jbs$

Established Member
Frankly, I expect the Dealer to make a reasonable and fair profit. If he does not, he will not be in business when I need service or warranty work. It is up to me as a buyer, to be properly informed as to his products and cost so I don't get ripped off. As in all free markets, you are in charge of your own pocketbook and your own signature.
If the deal offered does not suit you, well, you walked in, you can walk out.

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
Will Pritchett General Manager from Capital Ford in Rocky Mount! Let me know if I can ever help anyone out. We always discount our cars...no "bump" stickers here :)
Thanks, 919-369-3821 or [email protected]
We sell FRPP, Steeda, and Roush parts for 10% over cost. Free shipping on most items.

You think you'll be there in not this summer, but next? Haha, looking at getting a truck for my grad. present from college.

Mika

Established Member
Texas dealers can be open Sunday, but most aren't. By law they have to be closed at least one day a week for sales. There is a dealer here that is actually open 7 days a week, but on Saturdays their Sales Dept is closed and they can't talk price with you at all or even sit you down to talk. Just give basic marketing information. Sunday they are open and every other dealer is closed. Guess they think it gives them an advantage or something?

I bought my G8 GT from Gay Pontiac/Buick/GMC, now Buick GMC. Best car purchase experience I had. Was in and out of there in less than two hours. Vehicle test drive, cleaned and even got to meet the owner of the dealership. Worth the drive from DFW, where nobody wanted to deal with me on a G8 GT.

krazyhorse5-0

Established Member
I've been selling Fords in Chattanooga for ten years. I'm the fleet manager now.

If you know your product, there is no need to lie.

I give my customers fair prices immediately. I'd rather sell them five over ten years than one and they leave forever. We aren't all stealerships and we aren't all vultures.

We are capitalists and we believe in making profit. Profit is not a bad word. Be fair and take care of your customers. Earn the money you make by taking care of your buyers

Almost my words exactly... Not all salesman are out to rip you off but there are some that give the business a bad name and we have to rise above that image. I deal mostly with GT500's, GT500KR's, Z06's, and ZR1's and I've owned a lot of nice Cobras myself over the years. There are some of us that are professionals and we make a living doing this and if you treat your customers right you get lots of repeat business. You will always get the customer that thinks every car on your lot is marked up $10,000 and they can always go down the street a get it "cheaper"... These people don't say a word or haggle when they walk into a clothing store or electronics store and everything is marked up 200%... With that being said all cars have a market value and I watch daily what every vehicle is selling for around the U.S. at auctions, other dealers, and private sellers. That way everyone is on the same page with the same make, year, and model. If you find the same car for a "great price" it's usually a reason why (old age unit that won't sell, it's a demo, or it's had some type of damage) but you get what you paid for. For the guys in the business, always treat people right and watch your business grow... I've been away from this site for a couple of years working on other interest but I have always had a love for Mustangs. I'm starting to get the fever again but this time I think the only thing that will cure it is a 93 LX coupe with a Whipple charged GT500 swap. Lol.

Last edited:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Did Toyota sales for two years. Loved the business until recession came by in 2008 and I simply couldn't take the 'draw' money

99 BIG RED

Established Member
I did it for like two weeks.
It was at a Nissan dealership. Within my two weeks of being there I sold 6 cars. The only reason I left was because when I started the VD told me that on a Saturday at close if you do not have a sale that is being worked on with finance you can leave. Well that didn't happen and I ended up missing my cousins wedding and the wife was pissed.

So I then left. It was fun and I still have my job if I want to go back but I wouldn't trade what I'm doing right now for that.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Threads that have to do with dealerships make me LOL.

I love how people that are not in the business think they know how it works.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
And on the other side of the coin, no one wants to spend more of their hard earned money just because of some car salesmen wants to play games.

I wish dealers were just straight priced like pretty much everything else in this country.
You and me both, do you try to haggle the price of groceries? No.
That's the trend we've gone to in used cars now. Some people don't realize or actually have a clue what a good deal is, they just want to see you take $10k off the price.
exactly

Threads that have to do with dealerships make me LOL.

I love how people that are not in the business think they know how it works.

Amen bro

And you have those idiots who come in and say they aren't buying for 3 months they're just doing research . No. Don't waste my time.

alex3610

Established Member
And you have those idiots who come in and say they aren't buying for 3 months they're just doing research . No. Don't waste my time.

I've gone into 3 or 4 dealerships in the last 4 months and still have yet to buy something. I will eventually, and as I tell every salesman, for the right price I would absolutely buy today. So far they have all been cool with me and none have given me attitude when I tell them I am truly there just to check things out and I am really not ready to buy yet. A good move on their part because they have established a lead and I may end up buying from one of them one day.

Question for those working in the business:
Does your dealer employ any part time salesmen? If so, what kind of hours do they work?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Question for those working in the business:
Does your dealer employ any part time salesmen? If so, what kind of hours do they work?

We have experimented with that before...but it usually doesn't work out.

Customers come in at their convenience, it's hard enough for a full time salesperson to be at the dealership every time one of their customers comes in; a part time salesperson would miss out on a lot of their returning customers.

It typically works for about 3 months, then the part time salesperson either quits because they are mad about getting 'half-deals' (when they miss their customer, they only get half the commission) or they decide they want to go full time.

Just my personal experience though.

Users who are viewing this thread