If you're a car salesman post up!

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
3rd Gen here as well. My grandpa started the dealership in 1974, my dad took over in 1992, and he's getting near the end of his career.

We are a cookie cutter family owned store. One of my aunts is a receptionist and the other is the office manager.

My grandfather owned a store as well but sold it when I was a year old. I like most started from the bottom, detailing cars when I was a teenager. My dads been in the business for 35+ and my uncle for 28+. I think guys like us have an unfair advantage compared to the rest of the business lol. It's in our blood, and I don't mean lying/cheating/stealing. You learn that treating people right will go much further and is the only way you can make a career out of this business.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My grandfather owned a store as well but sold it when I was a year old. I like most started from the bottom, detailing cars when I was a teenager. My dads been in the business for 35+ and my uncle for 28+. I think guys like us have an unfair advantage compared to the rest of the business lol. It's in our blood, and I don't mean lying/cheating/stealing. You learn that treating people right will go much further and is the only way you can make a career out of this business.

Yeah I started washing on the weekends when I was 10.

I agree about the advantage though. :beer: But I'm not complaining. I love the business.

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Yeah I started washing on the weekends when I was 10.

I agree about the advantage though. :beer: But I'm not complaining. I love the business.

Same here! Love my job 100% and most people in this world can't say that. I wouldn't know what else to do!

BladeX10

Established Member
Tried the sales position for a few weeks. Hated it, Moved over to the detailing department for now and like it so far.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
I am a salesman at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM store. Family owned since '74. Love it here.. like a big family. Chrysler makes excellent vehicles, but the Mustang is still #1 :thumbsup:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
We owned a Ford Store for 80 years. I was 3rd Generation. Been a GM, GSM, BDC manager, Finance Manager, and even sold cars when I was in highschool.

Been "out" of the dealership for 6 years now- as a consultant to many different brands and stores.

Those of you that are still in the day to day- I dont envy your hours!

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
We owned a Ford Store for 80 years. I was 3rd Generation. Been a GM, GSM, BDC manager, Finance Manager, and even sold cars when I was in highschool.

Been "out" of the dealership for 6 years now- as a consultant to many different brands and stores.

Workin every Saturday sucks but I only work 45-48hrs a week. Thank god it's a law that NJ dealers can't be open Sundays though!

Last edited:

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
Workin every Saturday sucks but I only work 45-48hrs a week. Thank god it's a law that NJ dealers can't be open Sundays though!

Same here. It would especially blow if we were open sundays (football season!) .. They recently tried to pass a law for us to be open but it got shot down thank god! :-D

Never_Enough

Established Member
I hear horror stories from people coming in here all the time. It's sad how many come in here on the defensive before I even say hello. It feels really good to actually just help someone get the car they want at their own pace, rather than trying to scam someone into as much vehicle as you can. I've never once heard the word quota from my boss.

You can thank all the jerkoff snake stealership salesmen in the industry for that. Let's face it, most car salesman, and their management, are scumbags.

I can count the decent car salesmen I have worked with on one hand. I miss Saturn dealers. Best stealership car buying experience I ever had. I will say that we had a good experience @ Fred Beans Ford in West Chester when we bought my lady's new Fiesta as well.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
You can thank all the jerkoff snake stealership salesmen in the industry for that. Let's face it, most car salesman, and their management, are scumbags.

I can count the decent car salesmen I have worked with on one hand. I miss Saturn dealers. Best stealership car buying experience I ever had. I will say that we had a good experience @ Fred Beans Ford in West Chester when we bought my lady's new Fiesta as well.

Yeah it's a tough job to earn trust from a customer who's been taken advantage of. But once you do, it's a lot more enjoyable for both parties. However, for as long as any of us sell, we will have to deal with the stereotype.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member

Part of the beauty of working for high end brands like Porsche/Audi/Land Rover is being off on Saturday. I have two late nights per week, which, I use to either sell vehicles or clean my own, it's really not bad at all. I don't sell volume and luckily don't have to in order to make good money. Our profit margin per vehicle is fantastic. I love where I work. That's not to say I wouldn't trade places with you! :beer:

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
this makes me LOL, the people that say we are scumbags are the same ones who believe everything they see on t.v. People have no idea how the car business works and they dont realize that this is how we pay our bills. Im straight commission only, so guess what, I dont sell enough cars, I dont make my house payment, or my car payment.

Catfood

Established Member
I worked at a honda dealer for over 6 months. Crap pay for the hours. Made some excellent compensation some months but overall very unsatisfying. "Yeah you'll love this one wheel drive super reliable pos!"

LSUstang05

Established Member
that's everywhere man, banks aren't open on sundays and for good reasons

Texas dealers can be open Sunday, but most aren't. By law they have to be closed at least one day a week for sales. There is a dealer here that is actually open 7 days a week, but on Saturdays their Sales Dept is closed and they can't talk price with you at all or even sit you down to talk. Just give basic marketing information. Sunday they are open and every other dealer is closed. Guess they think it gives them an advantage or something?

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Been selling Honda's for 4 years now and love it. Honda's are some of the easiest cars to sell because most of their buyers are well educated people that make good money with good credit.

Users who are viewing this thread