I have big issue with the SHM Billet Oil Gears

KosherCobra

Established Member
If you're not up to speed on my Cobra, It blew up and I have a new motor in the car. I bought the Sean Hyland Billet Oil Gears $ 295.00. I had a certified SVT/Ford blah blah blah... Mechanic install them. When the pump was being primed mechanically it took a very long time to prime. Finally it did, I picked up the car and the car sat overnight in front of my house. The next morning I sart the car and put the E-Brake and run inside to get my coffee and I get outside and hear rattling. I look and zero oil pressure. I know this may be a repeat story but bear with it. The car got towed, the motor dismantled. I stopped it before the motor was damaged. Upon inspection the SHM gears are narrower and smaller than the OEM gears by 4 thousands give or take. The OEM gears were reinstalled and the oil pump primed within seconds. The car has been flawless.

I called SHM at the time and they were made aware of the machining flaw. They understood the motor could have been lost. I wanted to send the piece back so they can machine the correct size. I'd even take a credit to my account. But the big cheese (Sean) said no return on a used part or something to that nature. I'm not intending to flame up something here but lets be real. I just wanted them to credit me for a part that is not correct. I guess if SHM can't resell it, they don't want it.

Be careful if you bought the gears, I've heard (after the fact) that the case may have to be sanded down to get the proper seal/clearance.

Be gentle with me on my post. I'm just here to educate fellow Cobra owners.

SHM makes great products, but Sean must have a bug up his ass about something.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, ain't that a slap in the face. LOL!

They've had no other complaints on this gear set? Is the issue with yours only? They've had no other complaints? I would think they would want to get the part back so that they can check it and take whatever further action would be necessary at that point. Unless this is a brand new SHM part it would make more sense that either you have a defective set or a wrong part number. It sure sounds, though, like it is something SHM should definitely look at that set.

All I can say is be VERY thankful that your motor wasn't damaged.

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
SHM is a pathetic company. Some companies are there to make money and have happy customer and others like SHM are there to make money and screw customers.

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by bassin247
SHM is a pathetic company. Some companies are there to make money and have happy customer and others like SHM are there to make money and screw customers.

after another post about this company, this statement sums it up for me.

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Seems like some of the more established companies have a problem with the 03/04 Cobras. Stealing their performance thunder perhaps?

Griffin

Established Member
Neil,

Send it back so they have to sign for it, then call your credit card company and charge it back. I am 100% positive your CC company will refund the money. You have spent what? 6 billion dollars over the past 4 months on this car?

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
I wouldn't buy a fart can for the imports they're back to building again from them. Some of the worst customer service in the aftermarket.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
you guys are scareing me.......

I have the oil pump gear as well.......... but my motor hasn't been primed \ started yet. I'll make sure to be caustious.

Anyone else have this problem, or is this a one time case?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Im glad that I DIDNT deal with SHM. Ive dealt with 6 different companys getting my motor project done, and ive been dissapointed with every one except for JMS.

I havent even started my motor yet, and ill tell you what. Ill FLIP out if i have any problems. its the last straw. Ive been so dissapointed with everyone during this whole build, i dont know what ill do if i have more problems because of some company's lackluster customer support.

-Homer

KosherCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Griffin
Neil,

Send it back so they have to sign for it, then call your credit card company and charge it back. I am 100% positive your CC company will refund the money. You have spent what? 6 billion dollars over the past 4 months on this car?

I almost gagged on my food when I read this!!! 6 Billion!!!, It feels like it.

I'm going to do what you say, good idea.

BTW I had a body shop install the Saleen wing. Saleen quality control is marginal at best.

Griffin

Established Member
You don't have to tell me. I am willing to bet money we have the same issues with our wing....

It looks so f-ing good though....

PDubs

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
the canadian bandit...
:lol: HA! That's awesome! If Chris "Boomer" Berman ever needs someone to fill in and give nicknames, you get my vote!
Originally posted by rezcobra
Boycott?????
I'm WAAAYYYYY ahead of you. ;-)

oldmodman

Established Member
Have you noticed that once a mechanic or designer gets a TV show the complaints about their shop really start to roll in?
I hope Rick and Hermann never go "Hollywood"!

KosherCobra

Established Member
I've decided to return the parts (return reciept) and file a dispute with the CC company.

I hope I got to everyones PM on this subject. SHM does sell some really great stuff, but I guess after this incident I wont be buying anymore product.

BurninOut

Established Member
well I guess he could still have a bug up his ass because of all the time in court....not the first time and wont be the last time with them....Im sorry you where a victium of there games. Best of lucky with it all. Trying to get a refund from SHM is lick trying to get water from a cows utters...just isnt happening.

KosherCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by BurninOut
well I guess he could still have a bug up his ass because of all the time in court....not the first time and wont be the last time with them....Im sorry you where a victium of there games. Best of lucky with it all. Trying to get a refund from SHM is lick trying to get water from a cows utters...just isnt happening.

What time in court??? I heard he's going Ricer again

Users who are viewing this thread