HPTuners for Coyote platform is coming along very well!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
It will read anything that is flashed into your PCM. HP Tuners tunes that are flashed in will be able to be read out by anyone else with the ability to read a tune file out.

We may possibly enable PCM locking, which will prevent anyone but the person that locked the PCM from reading/writing the PCM, but that is undecided. We do that on GM. It is a support nightmare, because if you lose your interface, your PCM is useless, as the Ford dealers would not even be able to reflash them.

is there a release date or target to release this? i really like it.

djclark

Established Member
We may possibly enable PCM locking, which will prevent anyone but the person that locked the PCM from reading/writing the PCM, but that is undecided. We do that on GM. It is a support nightmare, because if you lose your interface, your PCM is useless, as the Ford dealers would not even be able to reflash them.

Please don't do that. It's as ridiculous as DRM is. All it does is punish the majority all in the name of attempting to stop a sliver of people from lifting a tune.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Agreed, i hate dealing with locked tunes. A couple times i screwed myself because i lost the current tune file, then the computer took a dump. Had to tune the car all over again because it could not read the tune currently uploaded. I can't believe how hush things are on the coyote platform for tuning and how much lack of detail, or explanation there is in the software when tuning. I really don't feel like spending a $1000 on going to a SCT class, just to figure out what some parameters do when they should be better detailed from the start. People who want to tune their car, will tune their cars. People who don't or have limited general knowledge are still not going to upload a stolen or "close tune" to their cars due to knowing the likely outcome.

Last edited:

WIPLASH1

Established Member
Agreed, i hate dealing with locked tunes. A couple times i screwed myself because i lost the current tune file, then the computer took a dump. Had to tune the car all over again because it could not read the tune currently uploaded. I can't believe how hush things are on the coyote platform for tuning and how much lack of detail, or explanation there is in the software when tuning. I really don't feel like spending a $1000 on going to a SCT class, just to figure out what some parameters do when they should be better detailed from the start. People who want to tune their car, will tune their cars. People who don't or have limited general knowledge are still not going to upload a stolen or "close tune" to their cars due to knowing the likely outcome.
Agreed. My SCT PRP is on the shelf because I don't have the ability to adjust cam timing and other parameters. I'd rather pay the premium to let a dealer tune it to get the most out of my TT/E85 combo. It's a shame really!

Shaun@AED

And then there are those of us with 6 figures invested simply to learn the new platforms and dial things in properly. Buying a vehicle, modding, literally thousands of hours tuning, testing, racing. Not to mention the brick and mortar facility (performance shop), lifts, overhead, tools, employees, chassis Dyno, etc.

All in an effort to give the customer the best possible tune for their new Ford.

I would lock every damn tune down in a heartbeat! Why should I give away all the valuable information I've spent years gathering?!?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
And then there are those of us with 6 figures invested simply to learn the new platforms and dial things in properly. Buying a vehicle, modding, literally thousands of hours tuning, testing, racing. Not to mention the brick and mortar facility (performance shop), lifts, overhead, tools, employees, chassis Dyno, etc.

All in an effort to give the customer the best possible tune for their new Ford.

I would lock every damn tune down in a heartbeat! Why should I give away all the valuable information I've spent years gathering?!?

Because you are nice.

HD_70db4f_1159810.jpg

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

I can definitely see both sides of the coin. I've been in a situation where I was asked to retune a Corvette for someone that was unhappy with the tune they paid another shop to do. I get the car in and can't even read the PCM to start the tuning process because the last shop locked the PCM. I had to remove the PCM and send it to that shop so they could unlock it. In this situation, it worked out because they were cool about it, but in a situation were the last tuner has a chip on his shoulder, it could be an issue.

On the flip, we put in a lot of effort learning new platforms and spending time and money becoming the best we can be at tuning for them.

Currently there is nothing to keep someone from reading out a tune from a car. Our software changes nothing, just makes it a little easier for those less knowledgeable.

Shaun@AED

I can definitely see both sides of the coin. I've been in a situation where I was asked to retune a Corvette for someone that was unhappy with the tune they paid another shop to do. I get the car in and can't even read the PCM to start the tuning process because the last shop locked the PCM. I had to remove the PCM and send it to that shop so they could unlock it. In this situation, it worked out because they were cool about it, but in a situation were the last tuner has a chip on his shoulder, it could be an issue.

This is not a problem with SCT...

Shaun@AED

Anyone with a desire to do it, can read any tune out of a car with J2534 device.

Right, but the problem you had with the locked corvette ECU would never happen with an SCT tuned Coyote. And you could have always started with a new file on that Vette and simply flashed over the current 'locked' tune.

I don't read any tunes on cars that come into the shop. No need, I'm a competent tuner. Worst case it takes 30-40min to write a complicated base file from scratch, and if you're on top of things you do this before the customer even shows up for tuning.

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Right, but the problem you had with the locked corvette ECU would never happen with an SCT tuned Coyote. And you could have always started with a new file on that Vette and simply flashed over the current 'locked' tune.

I don't read any tunes on cars that come into the shop. No need, I'm a competent tuner. Worst case it takes 30-40min to write a complicated base file from scratch, and if you're on top of things you do this before the customer even shows up for tuning.

You don't understand PCM locking. With our software, there is no database of stock files that you open to start with. You have to read the vehicle to get started. With the PCM locked, NOTHING will communicate with the PCM except for the interface that locked it. You cannot read or write the PCM, even if using a dealer tool.

I too have never had the need to read someone else's tune. I've always done my own work.

The scenario here like I had with the vette would be... someone comes to your shop with a locked PCM and a shitty tune. You are asked to tune it. You have two options, either have the last tuner unlock the PCM, or install a new PCM.

Shaun@AED

Double edged sword you're dealing with HP tuners.

A handheld device that always allowed the customer to return to stock would solve this and allow locking of tunes.

Last edited:

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Double edged sword you're dealing with HP tuners and direct flashing.

A handheld device that always allowed the customer to return to stock would solve this and allow locking of tunes.

We will likely have a handheld device sooner or later. But even then, the problem exists (as it currently does) of people that want to read out a tune can. It's just not as easy at our software will make it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
What's nice about the HPT stuff is peons like myself get full access to all parameters of the ECU instead of having limited or "calibrator" access with SCT. I think it's bogus that you have to run ABC Tuning Inc.'s tune if you want "the full monte".

SCT has more or less had a monopoly on the tuning software for coyotes since day 1. If you wanted to tune one, you had to use diablo or SCT and those softwares leave a lot to be desired. It's nice that HPT will finally be a player in the market and anyone who knows anything about their company and their software knows they will be a great asset to the community. Their forums are top notch and people actually talk and help each other instead of the closed-lip policy in the SCT world.

Not to mention the logger in the HPT software is the Xbox one of loggers when SCT is still trying to turn on their Nintendo. Just don't forget to blow in the cartridge and maybe your logger won't freeze up.

blk00gtvert

Established Member
What's nice about the HPT stuff is peons like myself get full access to all parameters of the ECU instead of having limited or "calibrator" access with SCT. I think it's bogus that you have to run ABC Tuning Inc.'s tune if you want "the full monte".

SCT has more or less had a monopoly on the tuning software for coyotes since day 1. If you wanted to tune one, you had to use diablo or SCT and those softwares leave a lot to be desired. It's nice that HPT will finally be a player in the market and anyone who knows anything about their company and their software knows they will be a great asset to the community. Their forums are top notch and people actually talk and help each other instead of the closed-lip policy in the SCT world.

Not to mention the logger in the HPT software is the Xbox one of loggers when SCT is still trying to turn on their Nintendo. Just don't forget to blow in the cartridge and maybe your logger won't freeze up.

Have to agree with justin on this one. Every time i go to tune a gm over a ford im just amazedhhow good the logger is

Users who are viewing this thread