How will the boss intake manifold be with 3.31's?

svtdriver484

Established Member
I was wondering how the boss intake manifold will be with 3.31s? Im about to order lethal ORX, jpc over axle pipes, between hushpowers or gt500 axle backs, and 47# injectors to run e85. Trying to decide over boss intake manifold/throttle body/intake. Ive read a bunch of reviews going for them and against them. Really just looking how the intake manifold would be with the 3.31s if anyone has them.

Thanks Mike

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
im against the manifold due to the torque loss, to take avantage of it you would need to stay in the upper rpm's (5000+)

deepblue13

Established Member
I'll let you know next week when I install mine. My 3.73's don't get installed until after Thanksgiving.

calgarybandit

Established Member
Not sure of manuals but my automatic passes the traps top of 3rd at 7400 RPM with 3.31 gears. And if you get a good tune you do not notice any loss down low there is so many different opinions on this intake.

blkstang302

Established Member
I have 3.31's and it feels like they take a while to get into the meaty part of the rpm band... the thought of already being sluggish with 3.31's down low with extra tq loss? No thanks. I'll wait for the new cobra jet IM to come out or get a tvs/ts. :beer:

Last edited:

wnt2gofst

Banned
Really you will not notice the few wtq loss. And in a race on the street or track you will spend all your time in the upper rpms. If in a race your starting at 2000-3000 you need to learn to drive.
But fully take advantage of it 3.73 or higher is better in a manual. 3.90's seem to be perfect gear for manuals
from the famous tapatalk.

Last edited:

svtdriver484

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys! I'm getting married in July of next year and will be buying a Paxton 2200 shortly after so keeping the 3.31 is a must for me. I also don't mind the 3.31 at all in drag/street racing and actually like being able to hold gears longer when racing people and my car is stock power wise right now. I've done a best of 12.6 at 112 with these gears and that was with a 1.9 60ft.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
Dont do it unless you have 3.73's. you will notice a torque loss, but 3.73 are the fix to get you in the higher RPMS faster. I cant tell you how many people i have talked to that took off the boss intake to put their stock intake back on with the 3.31's because they hated it.

If its a weekend car do the intake with 3.73's.
If its a daily driver keep the stock intake.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the stock clutch does not like to be revved that high, your clutch pedal will want to stick to the floor more than usual.

*edit* If going FI it will help unleash more HP than the stock intake. do it

Last edited:

BPatterson

Established Member
I have the Boss/3.31 set-up and hate it. It's great for roll racing, but sucks everywhere else. My street tire set up is 28.5" tall, and it makes it even worse. I have a set of 3.73's waiting to go in.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
zomg don't do it with 3.31s!

my car was .2 faster with 3 more MPH after a boss manifold swap. Yes it lost tq but the car gained everywhere in the 1/4. I was a hater of the boss manifold until I witnessed the results first hand. my car is a 6m with 3.31 gears

wnt2gofst

Banned
A boss intake is the way to go. I loved it when I ran 11 s NA and I love it running 10 s with a Vortech. And besides, it looks awesome.

Yes it does look great as well.

zuha3ure.jpg

from the famous tapatalk.

naeem5oh

Established Member
im getting 3.55s put into my auto on thursday and the boss intake put in next week, ill let you know

svtdriver484

Established Member
zomg don't do it with 3.31s!

my car was .2 faster with 3 more MPH after a boss manifold swap. Yes it lost tq but the car gained everywhere in the 1/4. I was a hater of the boss manifold until I witnessed the results first hand. my car is a 6m with 3.31 gears

So your happy with it and having the 3.31s?

Dtony

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys! I'm getting married in July of next year and will be buying a Paxton 2200 shortly after so keeping the 3.31 is a must for me. I also don't mind the 3.31 at all in drag/street racing and actually like being able to hold gears longer when racing people and my car is stock power wise right now. I've done a best of 12.6 at 112 with these gears and that was with a 1.9 60ft.

I am running the Boss intake with Vortech and 3.31 gears. My best 60' is a 1.44 on drag radials so there is no loss down low. Once you go with the SC that combo will be perfect.

Shaun@AED

Had one on the dyno a few weeks back.
3.31 + Boss intake = 195mph at the top of 5th gear vs 160 with 3.73's.

FreddieG

Established Member
im getting 3.55s put into my auto on thursday and the boss intake put in next week, ill let you know

Hmmm can wait to hear about this. It would seem a 3.55 would be a good gear for the auto's. What model year do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread